HOD CLOD contest

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
nobby.pennytoy

HOD CLOD

Post by nobby.pennytoy »

Hi Everyone,
Can anyone help me identify the maker/manufacturer of the Hod Clod slot machine.Many thanks in advance of a positive result.
Attachments
P1010005.JPG
P1010005.JPG (70.94 KiB) Viewed 5686 times
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

Hi, I have some original award cards for this machine - I will dig them out and see if they mention a manufacturer.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

Hi, I found the award card, but it does not give any clue to the manufacturer, sorry. But as a guess I would say Stevenson and Lovett - they made some innovative machines and also the artwork for the topflash is very similar to the Conveyor and Skyjump.
Hope this helps, Dave.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I second that opinion - having come to the same conclusion independently.
john t peterson

HOD CLOD contest

Post by john t peterson »

Hello everyone. I know that there is an existing thread already in the Q&A on the HOD CLOD game. If the forum moderators will permit me a slight exception, I'd like to use this new thread to approach the issue from a slightly different angle.

(Threads merged - Site Admin.)

I just purchased a HOD CLOD here in the States. See the picture below. Behind the instruction sheet was a cardboard sign, also below. The sign, incomplete, advertises a "hop competition" in conjunction with a Brewers' Exhibition. As you can see, there is other information although no date.

I am going to write an article on HOD CLOD and I need your help. The thrust of the article will be to identify the manufacturer and the date of these games along with my usual musings and related trivia. I'm guessing that someone reading this will have the skills (or maybe even extant knowledge) to date this sign. I know that the date of the exhibition does not guarantee the date of the game but it's fairly safe to assume that the sign predated the machine so we'll at least know the game was produced after the exhibition in question.

So, you brewery and arcade fans, (and who among us does not enjoy a pint while playing these fabulous games?) put on your thinking caps and come up with the information. That includes any information you may have on HOD CLOD, not just the sign. Post your answers here and I will give full "genius" credit where credit is due in my article. I plan on submitting the article to Mr. Pennymachines for inclusion in the ARENA. I've been submitting all my articles to "Mechanical Memories Magazine" recently and in that regard, you will soon be reading a two-part series on a very strange Bajazzo that found its way from my dreams and into my hands. It's a pretty entertaining story and you won't want to miss it. You do subscribe to M3, don't you? If you don't, you're missing a good thing. The same goes for membership in the ARENA here on this site.

I look forward to enlightenment. Don't let me down!

Your faithful American correspondent,
John Peterson
Attachments
HC.jpg
HC1.jpg
john t peterson

Re: HOD CLOD contest

I have completed my article on this machine. It is accessible in the Pennymachines "Arena."

I hope you like it.

J. Peterson
OddMan
JC

Post by JC »

Another great article John - and a very interesting machine It's a shame you couldn't gain any more information (and I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help), but here's some food for thought:

1. When we spoke recently, you mentioned that the machine had a steel back. What you didn't say, is that it is made from galvanized steel sheet. Wall machines with steel backs are not particularly rare (even Bryans produced some), but I've never seen the use of galvanized steel, which makes me question whether it's original?

2. Freddy Bailey suggests that it is probably a home made one-off, maybe produced by a showman. Well, you yourself stated that your machine is one of three known to exist, and you suggest (quite rightly) that if three are known, then it is likely others exist that we just don't know about (you suggest six). Well, if six exist, then it is entirely likely that a considerable number were built in the first place. Consider this: We know Bryans built twelve Bumpers, yet (almost certainly) non exist today. On that basis, there could have been perhaps 100+ Hod Clods produced.

3. Out of interest, do you know if the other two known machines have the same castings? These definately look out of place on what is probably a late forties/early fifties machine, and as you say in your article, they appear to be of 1920s or 30s style. I could understand their use on a one-off machine, as they would probably have been taken from an earlier machine broken for spares. But it does seem odd that this style of casting would be used on a production machine.

.........................just my thoughts

Jerry !PUZZLED!
john t peterson

Excellent analysis, Jerry. I have only seen one of the other two Hod Clods that I know exist. You may see one of them as well if you go to:
www.pennytoy.bravehost.com
Page 4 of the photo album has a very attractive, restored, Hod Clod. It has the exact same hardware that mine has. This strongly suggests the models made were consistent, except maybe for the backing to the game, mine being metal. If I hear from the owner of the third game, I will update with that information.

JP
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I know of at least four examples (including John's). One with a khaki wooden backboard, possibly from a military supply crate, with "FAL 1944" stamped into it. This would rule-out a pre-war date of manufacture. Another had a taller case with a bottom drawer for the cash box. Otherwise, apart from the galvanised steel back and showman's paintwork, they were all the same as John's, with identical castings.