YZ Gum vendors

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
slotalot

YZ Gum vendors

Post by slotalot »

Hi :D ,
I have just been looking at a YZ Bubblegum machine that I got off ebay a few weeks ago. Although it says 1p, it has been converted from 1d and it will be no problem to convert it back. What I would like some help with is the little blocked up window? and the lever on the inside of the window. :oops: No matter how I look at it, I can't work out what it is there for or how it works. Anyone seen or got one?? Are there any parts missing?? Any help will be most welcome. :tarah:
Attachments
PA120041.JPG
PA120042.JPG
ilovemyjukebox

Re: YZ Bubblegum Machine

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

The window was so the punter could see the product and the lever that you have there would have had another piece attached to it to block off the coin entry when the product was done.

If I could post a picture I could show you what I mean... Sorry haven't worked out how to do that yet...
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi ilovemyjukebox :D , Welcome to the forum, and thanks for taking the time to reply to my request for help with my gum vendor. :cool: I thought the lever was to close the window when empty. I never thought about it being connected to the coin entry. :oops: This machine was converted to new penny at some time and the old penny coin entry has been removed and lost, so if you can manage to post any photos they will be very helpful in showing me what I need to get/make to put it back to old penny. You can find the Browse button for the uploading of photo's below the text window you used when submitting a post. Just scroll down the page. :didact: Regards Stuart.

How to Upload Images added by Site Admin
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

Sorry for the delay... I sprained my wrist skateboarding (43 yrs old should know better but someone has to show my 9yr old what to do)

Anyway, if I have worked it out correctly, you should have photos of what the gizmo looks like. Basically the weight comes down, hits the protruding bit, which in turn closes off the slot.

The machine was made by a company called Autonomis who made machines for many different people. Lots of santitory stuff, but also chewing gum and chocolate bars...

They had a very good vending magazine which allowed you to alter the size of it to vend almost anything. The weight too could be altered to fit...

I have sixpence shilling and two bob versions but never had a old penny one...

I'm guessing that with decimalisation they just made a crude effort at changing over the coin mech to 1p.. Taking up the space etc...

I normally remove the sold out bar and flag on my machines. It just gets in the way for home use. I might even have one for the Autonomis in my garage amongst a load of junk.. I'll have a look but it might take a few days.

Dave
Attachments
LPIC2115 [640x480].JPG
LPIC2114 [640x480].JPG
LPIC2113 [640x480].JPG
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

ilovemyjukebox wrote:Sorry for the delay... I sprained my wrist skateboarding (43 yrs old should know better but someone has to show my 9yr old what to do) Dave
Hi Dave :D,
Thanks for the photos - they tell me everything I need to know. I appreciate you posting them. When this machine was converted, all they did was to push some nylon extrusions in to the coin mech and coin chute to make it take the smaller coins. They also removed the slot entry and put a smaller one in its place - this is the bit that is missing but with your photos I should be able to reproduce a new one.

Sorry to hear about you skateboarding accident. I hope it gets better soon. Mind you, it was partly your own fault!.... I managed to find a photo of you setting off on your demonstration run... LOL.
Attachments
ARE YOU WATCHING SON?...THIS IS WHAT YOU DO!!!
ARE YOU WATCHING SON?...THIS IS WHAT YOU DO!!!
daredevil-skateboarder-01.jpg (42.71 KiB) Viewed 3789 times
gumball12

YZ Fruit Chewing Gum vendor

Post by gumball12 »

Topic split, moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hi Bob,
I've got a YZ fruit chewing gum vending machine.
Had it now for over 30+ years. Be great to find some information about it. It still works.
Bought it off an old retired off licence guy who had it on his wall years ago.
It was full of old 1 penny coins.
Attachments
20220320_123705a.jpg
20220320_123722a.jpg
20220320_123712a.jpg
john t peterson

Re: YZ Fruit Chewing Gum vendor

Post by john t peterson »

We all miss Bob Klepner.

J Peterson
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: YZ Fruit Chewing Gum vendor

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME:

GB378177 tells us your vending machine was patented by Harry Dean of 51 Brierley Street, Nottingham in 1932. The mechanism facilitates the delivery of two items for one turn of the handle. This allowed them (like yours) to give a "free" packet every fourth vend.

There is much variation in the exterior graphics on these, reflecting the long period over which they were in use. The owl logo suggests the company name was pronounced "wise", I believe. YZ Vending were based at 27 Hastings Road, Bromley, Kent, BR2 8NA. See Re: Australian Manufactured Coin Op Machines

YZ-kid.jpg

Sandra Edwards and Jimmy Miller outside Millom's Corner Cafe in the late 1950s or early 1960s
Sandra Edwards and Jimmy Miller outside Millom's Corner Cafe in the late 1950s or early 1960s

The Mail
Attachments
yz9.jpg
yz8.jpg
yz7.jpg
yz6.jpg
yz4.jpg
yz5.jpg
yz.jpg
YZ2.jpg
YZ3.jpg
gumball12

Re: YZ Gum vendors

Post by gumball12 »

Thank you for the information on this vending machine, very helpful.

I also bought another one from him - a small Wrigley's machine.

Has patent number J195
18479/57
Any information on this one would be great.
Photos attached.
Attachments
20220322_102222-(002)a.jpg
20220322_102248-(002a).jpg
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

I love these little machines. Smaller than the average vendor and with an ingenious mechanism which allows the product to be vended from the two columns. One after each other.

I think the few I’ve had have all been Wrigley.

You have two lovely machines.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

18479/57 is an 'applied for patent' (presumably from 1957) which are not, as far as I know, recorded.
Attachments
_methode_times_prodmigration_web_bin_3cf46117-3c73-38f1-add2-80d1ffe0f22b.jpg
runner

Yz vending machine find of a packet of gum

Post by runner »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Bought this old YZ vending machine, and got a surprise. Can't seem to find any other pictures of packets of YZ gum anywhere so I thought I would post on here. 7 pieces in a packet, don't you know!
Attachments
dirta.jpg
dirta.jpg (285.9 KiB) Viewed 484 times
dirt2a.jpg
dirt2a.jpg (188.64 KiB) Viewed 487 times
IMG20230405082822a.jpg
IMG20230405082822a.jpg (48.32 KiB) Viewed 487 times
IMG20230405082753a.jpg
IMG20230405082753a.jpg (62.3 KiB) Viewed 487 times
arrgee

Re: Yz vending machine find of a packet of gum

Post by arrgee »

Nice find runner. Does the mech still work and will it be just a clean up or more serious cosmetic refurb?
runner

Re: Yz vending machine find of a packet of gum

Post by runner »

Not strictly a penny machine, but the older version of the YZ machines would have vended on the old penny. Yes Arrgee, mech. fuctions as intended. Had a washer stuck in the there, which was sending the coin straight to reject. I would never respray and put new decals on these machines. I had the first two machines I bought (Beechnut & Kit Kat) refurbished, and as good as they look, I now appreciate the originality of the machines, rust, scratches and dents, as these are part of the history of the machine.

It is almost impossible to get the exact colour match and size and spacing of the decals anyway. Just doesn't look right to me, like someone who is 100 years old and has dyed his hair jet black!! Just doesn't work.

Chap selling it had found it in a shed of the house he moved into and thought it wasn't worth anything and was close to throwing it in the skip!!