Robinson & Co., Blackpool

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
13rebel

Robinson & Co., Blackpool

Post by 13rebel »

Hi.
My Oliver Whales allwin has a plate on the cash door with this company and 36, Reads Avenue as an address. It says this is the property of............ I presume this co. would be an operator/distributor but would be interested to have any more information should anyone know. Also any information on Oliver Whales (other than what's in the Braithwaite book) would be appreciated.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: ROBINSON AND CO. BLACKPOOL

Post by pennymachines »

Hi! Which allwin is it? Is it definitely Oliver Whales? The Robinson & Co. badge has previously been seen on a Jackpot allwin (not Olly Whales).

Robinson & Co. of Blackpool are presumably unconnected to Robinson Partners Ltd. of London (badge seen on a late 3D Challenger).
Attachments
RP.jpg
RP.jpg (14.74 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

It's a HAVE A GO. It also has a Blackpool phone number on it
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

I think you will find that a JACKPOT is indeed an Oliver Whales machine.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

13rebel wrote:I think you will find that a JACKPOT is indeed an Oliver Whales machine.
A few companies made allwins named 'Jackpot', including Oliver Whales, but I'm guessing that Pennymachnes is referring to one of the other manufacturers 'jackpots'....probably this one (which is the first than many people think of). :didact:
Attachments
jackpot.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That's right - it was one with the cylindrical jackpot that appears to pay out (see video) which turned up last year with the Robinson badge on it:

The Have a Go is certainly Oliver Whales and Whales did indeed make a Jackpot (and Double Jackpot) with a fixed pocket of coins on the flash. Unfortunately, it looks like Robinson & Co. will have to remain a mystery for now.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

PennyMachines wrote:Whales did indeed make a Jackpot (and Double Jackpot)
...and just for information, here's a pic of Oliver Whales Double Jackpot (my doctor noticed I have a low post count, so I'm trying to increase it :!?!: )
Attachments
double jackpot.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Anyone got a picture of the Whales single Jackpot? !SEARCH! Can't seem to find one.

-/00\- Hey, 13rebel - why not write/phone Robinson & Co., Amusement Parks and Arcades, 36 Reads Avenue, Blackpool, FY1 4BP (01253621998)? Maybe you can solve this mystery for us... Tell them you have one of their machines - it might still be under warranty. !!SLY!! On the other hand, doesn't the badge say it's their property? !SHSSS! Ask if they were distributors, re-conditioners or did they ever manufacture allwins? !SHERLOCK!
raj

Post by raj »

Robinson's ( if they still exist) might thank the caller for finding one of their machines and ask for it back !! ( see earlier posts about stolen machines)
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

PennyMachines wrote:Anyone got a picture of the Whales single Jackpot? !SEARCH! Can't seem to find one.
Here's one that came from I know not where !PUZZLED! ...but it's good for my post count !!YIPPEE!!
Attachments
jackpot 1.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That's a nice one !THUMBS!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Robinson and co, still exists at this address, as an amusement park come nightclub (amazing?) and as a couple of you have made me feel thoroughly guilty - I had better start packing my beloved machine ready for dispatch to them and still no gen on ollie whales, ah well.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I don't think I can add anything to Braithwaite's brief summary. Nic Costa's 1980s Coin Slot International series covered most of the major players but was curiously silent on O.W. I heard that he was a character and often greeted customers in a red dressing gown.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

How did his customers know to visit him in a red dressing gown? !PUZZLED!
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

13rebel wrote:still no gen on ollie whales, ah well.
Unfortunately, there are two main problems with obtaining information. Firstly, is the fact that he was basically a one man band. therefore, most knowledge follows him and he is no longer with us. Secondly is the fact that he didn't stray too far out of the allwin business. So there isn't a great deal to speak of other than the fact that he manufactured them. However, I can add that I know an operator who dealt with him and he told me that he preferred to work during the night on his manufacturing...so this might shed some light on the red dressing gown issue. I guess his surviving family may be able to shed a little more light on his business and his perchant for red dressing gowns. Incidentally, if you haven't already seen it, on the resources page you will see an old Oliver Whales letterhead. Also, a while ago I posted a picture in the forum of a floor standing version of his picture box viewer. No one has commented on it, so I guess that is quite rare. So the site has provided some information **xXx** , but you just can't summon up history :(
JC

Post by JC »

Here's another Whales Jackpot. At first glance, it appears the same as the picture posted by Coin-Op, but look closely at the gallery..............
Attachments
Jackpot.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Who stole the jackpot? :-?
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

She's there..........next to Jack. :cool:
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

I've written to Robinson and Co.,even enclosed a sae but alas no reply and I fear that I now don't expect one, phone calls don't get answered,never mind.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

13rebel wrote:Hi. my Oliver Whales allwin has a plate on the cash door with this company and 36 Reads Avenue as an address. It says this is the property of............,I presume this co. would be an operator/distributor but would be interested to have any more information should anyone know. Also any information on Oliver Whales (other than what's in the Braithwaite book) would be appreciated.
Hi :D , I have just done a quick Google Earth search, this is 36 Reads Ave Blackpool, it's a private house in a row of B&B's, I think he must have worked from home and been a small time agent or the like. !SORRY!
Attachments
36 reads ave.jpg