Re: Challenger by Samson circa 1960

Post by grabber »

Hello,
Can you post a picture of your machine?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I assume were talking about the floor-stander sold on ebay recently.
This video of a wall version was posted by rippyspennyarcade. He may be able to provide an image of the coin release mechanism.

Attachments
Challenger-Mini.jpg
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Hi Busslot, I've just come in to possession of a Challenger which I believe will have the same mechanism, but it has different artwork. So, I am describing the operation of my machine, but hopefully it will apply to your own. Excuse the pics, which explain why my Tech drawing teacher used to shake his head so much :NBG: . Anyway, in pic 1. coins fall down the front of the machine and stack up on the ledge indicated by 'A'. When the column is full, the next coin falls into the rear of the machine and as it hits ledge 'B' this allows that pivoted part to tilt, thereby allowing the front ledge 'A' to tilt under the weight of the coins stacked on it. Pic 2. attempts to show the position of the two interactive parts after the coin has fallen into the rear of the mech. I have also added two pics which show the position of the relevant parts before and after a coin has fallen into the rear and enabled the coins in the front to fall down. Hope this helped!

(Copied to resources - Site Admin.)
Attachments
Challenger.gif
Challenger.gif (4.33 KiB) Viewed 3558 times
challenger-1.jpg
challenger-2.jpg
busslot

Post by busslot »

Thanks forum moderator.
The pics, drawing and data are an immense help.
The machine I have is a case only with coin fall board and maker's name looks like some repetitive work to make.
Thank you once again.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

If you need all the measurements of both the housing and the pivoted parts or any other pics, let me know. I can get better pics, but I sort of rushed between doing a few things to get you the answer I did (which wasn't that elegant really :oops: ). Anyway, I hope you persevere with it.
rippyspennyarcade

Post by rippyspennyarcade »

Hi Busslot,
Just seen your earlier question. I am the person who owns the 3d Challenger. I've just also seen Coin-ops pictures, and to be honest, my camera would never have got pictures as clear as Coin-op's. Those pics are SPOT ON! And that's just how they look in my machine! So, hopefully, you may be able to sort something out! Do keep us informed of your progress.