Who was Oliver Whales?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
slotalot

Who was Oliver Whales?

Post by slotalot »

It may seem like a strange question !PUZZLED!
But who was he?...are there any photos of him?...where did he live?...where did he die?...where is he burried?...was he married?...etc...etc...etc. :!?!:
Anyone got any snippets of info? as I cant find a lot published about him and whould love to build up a picture of this icon of the slot machine !!CHEERS!!
so thinking caps on chaps....what do you know about him?... :tarah:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Who was Oliver Whales?

Post by badpenny »

I know your game Stuart your trying to prove you're related so you can claim on his estate :lol:
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

My nickname is "BabyWhale." Where to I submit my claim?? :cool:

JTP
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

slotalot wrote:It may seem like a strange question !PUZZLED!
But who was he?...are there any photos of him?...where did he live?...where did he die?...where is he burried?...was he married?...etc...etc...etc. :!?!:
Anyone got any snippets of info? as I cant find a lot published about him and whould love to build up a picture of this icon of the slot machine !!CHEERS!!
so thinking caps on chaps....what do you know about him?... :tarah:
This has obviously been an ongoing discovery
http://admin.yours.co.uk/Community/Foru ... -id=381652

Found this on google, with someone who claims they knew him. A site with the history of Redcar and the seaside activities.
Its mentioned elsewhere butThe Hydropathic establishment then became Fun City run by the famous Oliver Whales whos old slot machines come up for sale regularly on ebay .My parents knew him and said the whole place was full of buckets of money.
http://www.redcar.net/xmb/vt.php?tid=3722&page=88
A bit more on same site and more details on the man
http://www.redcar.net/xmb/vt.php?tid=3722&page=89
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

tree-frog wrote:This has obviously been an ongoing discovery
http://admin.yours.co.uk/Community/Foru ... -id=381652
Hi tree-frog :D
Yes you have cought me out I have been on the trail of Mr Whales on and off for a number of years now -/00\-
I have a small amount of information about him filed away that I have picked up over the years, I intend to restart my search this year now that I have more time !READ!
Thanks for the reply and the links !THUMBS! its a bit like doing a jigsaw.....its the smallest of bits that make up the full picture :didact:
so any information is usefull :tarah:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Whales machines did well at Carter's auction in 2000 thanks to strong bidding from a member of the Whales family. Some years later I spoke to a collector who said he knew the family and was privy to their archives - so at least it would appear some records and memories are there for the harvesting...
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi PM :D
Thanks for that, it's a pity I can't get direct access to said archives. I was told a few years ago that Oliver had a son called Peter, which I am told was also his dad's name, and also a daughter called Pauline, both of who will now be aged 90. I am checking through this information at the moment to see if it is the correct Oliver Whales. Will keep you posted. :tarah: