Your game's ball bearing size - listed

Advice and guidance on repair and restoration techniques.
toibs

Re: Vintage pin ball compsition and size

Post by toibs »

It says here : http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=2011
Ball composition: Unknown, but one ball is described as copper, for double scoring.
JC

Re: ball bearings

Post by JC »

An interesting topic, which in my experience doesn't appear to be an exact science. 1/2" balls for Bryans and BMCo allwins seem to be a fairly safe bet - it's generally considered that 9/16" is the correct size for most other makes. However, I have found a good number of exceptions over the years. For instance, I once had a Hat Trick which came with half a dozen balls (all different sizes) when I acquired it. I discarded them all and popped in a new 9/16" ball............could I get it to work? Not a chance. In the end, I had to use a 13mm ball. I also have a Parkers allwin (an original with Saxony type ball release), again, it won't work with a 9/16" ball.
I wonder whether the 14mm stated above for R&W column-fill allwins is correct, as it does seem unlikely that a British machine of 50+ years would have been designed to use metric sized balls. Can anyone confirm? The ball size is of course quite critical in these machines, because if the balls are too small, the final ball in a column won't drop back and trigger the payout.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

What was the size of the monster ball in Steer-a-Ball? :!?!:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

What about The Policeman's Ball?
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

I have a "What's My Line" and changed the ball bearings 14mm when I bought her. She came with a mish mash of different sized balls some got stuck in the channels.
Unfortunately I have the problem whereby the balls don't allign correctly all the time and I sometimes have to resort to giving the glass a tap to trigger the payout.
Especially when there a six balls lined up. I'd be very interested in knowing the correct size.

Dave
JC

Post by JC »

Dave, I suspect the correct size is 9/16". As I stated above, this is generally the correct size for most allwins............er, except it doesn't always work. !PUZZLED!
pennymad

Fill 'Em Up, Many Happy Returns - ball sizes please?

Post by pennymad »

Hi,
Does anyone know the correct size for the balls please on the Fill 'Em Up, Many Happy Returns or What's My Line? Thanks in advance for any help given.
treefrog

Re: Fill um up,many happy returns BALL SIZES PLEASE?

Post by treefrog »

Shame,

Started a thread on this topic 5 years ago now and was trying to get everyone to fill over time as a useful resource, it only lasted a few posts. Anyway a Multi Ball answer was there, option B 14mm

Ball bearings
pennymad

Post by pennymad »

Thanks a lot. I wonder what the actual old size was? But modern day size is good for me!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

My 'Many Happy Returns' came without any balls, so I used 9/16 inch in the belief that the size was most likely to be imperial and it works perfectly. !SMARTY!
raj

Re: Fill 'Em Up, Many Happy Returns - ball sizes please?

Post by raj »

I've had a few of these and I have had to change from imperial to metric size to take account of wear. I'm sure 9/16th would have been the original spec, but I have found 14mm to be more reliable. As long as they are all the same size, all should be well - just fill one line with balls and see if they tip over the top on a win. If 9/16th don't work, try 14mm. Shop around, because prices vary greatly. You need the hardened versions, because poor quality balls will quickly pit and tear the backflash and track to pieces.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Re-reading your comment Raj, I'm confused. !PUZZLED!
9/16" = 14.2875 mm, i.e. these imperial balls are slightly larger than their nearest metric equivalents (14mm). If there was wear, surely 14mm balls would make the problem worse?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

raj wrote:poor quality balls will quickly pit and tear
That really sounds painful. :shock:
raj

Post by raj »

PM, it's not the size that causes the damage, it is the poor quality of hardening that becomes rough after successive hits from the ball hammer. If you try striking a ball with a pin hammer to test the hardness, you can judge how it will wear. If the hammer leaves an indentation, then the ball will soon wear when in the machine.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Raj,
Yes I take your point about the importance of using hard chrome steel balls. The part I was questioning was:
raj wrote:I have had to change from imperial to metric size to take account of wear.
raj

Post by raj »

Yes, I see your point. Can't answer the reason that the 14mm balls worked when the 9/16ths didn't, but that was the fix for that particular machine. The current owner may disagree!!
panda999

Ice Hockey balls?

Post by panda999 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi, please could someone out there advise me how many balls a R & W ice hockey game should have, the size and what material they are made of, as the one I have has ball bearings which look too heavy for the game and do not release properly. Any help would be appreciated, many thanks in advance! !
gameswat

Re: ice hockey machine

Post by gameswat »

The balls should be plastic and even then they take a toll on the inner playfield. Nylon works well for long lastingfullness! Metal would kill the thing! I guess operators could set them up with more or less balls depending on how stingy or not they were. I've had only one Ruffler made version and we had it running on either 7 or 9 from memory. But an even amount might have promoted more play due to draws. Don't have the size written down but just look around the machine for wear marks, measure and then double to find diameter size.
moonriver

Re: ice hockey machine

Post by moonriver »

I bought Teflon balls for my roulette table, they are hard wearing and have some decent weight to them, for example roulette wheel balls get a lot of hammer and need to remain unscathed. They make lots of different sizes, not sure what size they go up to.
panda999

Re: Ice Hockey balls?

Post by panda999 »

Thanks to the two replying members. Will have a measure up and follow your advice. I take that from the lack of replies that not many people have these machines or, really don't know themselves. Thanks again you two, appreciated.