Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Who remembers this amazing dice gambling machine?

Postby pennymachines » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:33 pm

Potless wrote:Players would bet on the outcome of the dice throw, e.g. double one, double two, etc. (I am not sure of the exact betting possibilities), to win anything from 2d to 12d.
Potless wrote:I seem to remember that the outcomes you bet on were 2 + 2, 3 + 3, 4 + 4, etc.
I don't think this can be right. Suppose it paid, for example, 2d on 1 + 1, 4d on 2 + 2, 6d on 3 + 3, 8d on 4 + 4, 10d on 5 + 5 and 12d on 6 + 6... There would be no point in betting on anything but sixes as they have the same odds of coming up (assuming the dice are fair) as any other double. Besides with odds of 1/36, it wouldn't be worth betting. Unless each station had just a single slot and you were gambling on any double coming up (similar to a bandit), rather than betting on a particular double.

Potless

Postby Potless » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:32 am

Thinking about it, that's very logical - as I said, memory is a bit sketchy on that point!
Maybe it was particular combinations of faces that were bet on? I certainly seem to remember multiple betting slots at each station.

rippyspennyarcade

Postby rippyspennyarcade » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:03 pm

Pennymachines is correct, you could bet on more than just doubles coming up. I watched that machine in action for quite a while on each day of my week's holiday. The top and bottom of the cage was thicker, so this must have somehow activated the payouts. It's different to Streets Spot Luck (that I mentioned earlier), as those dice did have holes in the spots, but a wiper reset the dice and only then did that machine pay out once the dice were returned to their starting point. This did NOT happen on our machine. The machine paid out and then the cage just turned again for the next game. I do remember a lot, but it's annoying me that I can't remember the machine's name!

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:25 pm

I have been fascinated by this thread from the start as I had very vague memories of playing this machine in the 1960s. I was also getting frustrated at not being able to find out more about it despite spending hours searching the internet - then I had an idea. I thought that if anyone can find or remember this machine it will be Freddy Bailey.

As some of you will already know Freddy has spent all his life living and working in the amusement trade, and at one time his family owned an arcade in Great Yarmouth near to where this machine is thought to have operated. He also has what must be the biggest collection of amusement trade papers and magazines in the world.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I contacted Freddy and made him aware of the question, and after several emails between Freddy and me this is what he has come up with.

So on behalf of the members of the Pennymachines website I say a big thank you Freddy for taking the time to thumb your way through hundreds of pages of information to answer this question.

CLICK ON THE PHOTOS TO MAKE THEM BIGGER... !!JUNK!!
Mayfields Dice Game Multi Slot.jpg
Mayfields Dice Game Multi-Slot-2.jpg
Mayfields Dice Game .jpg

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:45 pm

Nice sleuthing there Slot!! But what a pity the article didn't go into detail about how it works?? Strange as this was a trade publication and not for the general public. So you'd think they'd want operators to know all about it to spur sales!?

rippyspennyarcade

Postby rippyspennyarcade » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:52 pm

That's the one! Many thanks to Slotalot and Freddy for coming up with this article / picture. I never thought a picture would surface. This brings back so many happy memories for me, and probably Potless. Thanks Again!

Potless

Postby Potless » Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:45 pm

Yes yes, that has to be it! Wow - it's like rediscovering a long lost friend. Don't recall the giant die on top of the machine - maybe it was a later addition, or maybe I was too dazzled by watching the dice cage in operation to notice it!

May I add my thanks to Freddy and Slotalot for finding this for us, it is very much appreciated. It's amazing what can be produced by a forum if you keep at it....

13rebel

Postby 13rebel » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:08 pm

!!THUMBSX2!! Freddy and Stuart **xXx**
Last edited by 13rebel on Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Potless

Postby Potless » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:17 pm

You are not going to believe this - now I know what the machine is called, and who made it, I was able to find this COMPLETE PATENT SHEET which describes everything about it, from a block diagram of operation, how the dice are read, through to the cabinet details, payouts, etc. It seems I was correct about doubles paying out, but other combinations are also winners.

But get this - each die actually contains an OSCILLATOR, which radiates a signal when the dice are are at rest, AT A DIFFERENT FREQUENCY FOR EACH FACE. The signals are picked up by a discreet aerial in the machine. Astonishingly, each die has its OWN RECHARGEABLE BATTERY, which is charged periodically by the machine! The spec. makes fascinating reading....

It was pretty advanced stuff for machines of this era - no wonder we couldn't work out exactly how the dice were read. It must have been incredibly expensive to buy too; no wonder only the larger arcades had them! Maybe they were hired?
electronic_dice_details.pdf
(249.65 KiB) Downloaded 227 times

Potless

Postby Potless » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:19 pm

Forgot to mention, the patent was found here:

http://www.directorypatent.com/GB/1180560-a.html