Hawtins and Wondermatics

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
stoxman22

Hawtins and Wondermatics

Post by stoxman22 »

Hi,
I am new to collecting slot machines and need some help with history.
I have 2 allwin type machines, one is a Hawtins and one is a Wondermatics. I have searched the net and my local library and can find nothing about either of these companies.
Does anyone know any interesting facts for the above.
My Wondermatics machine is a Bonus win. The Hawtins is a straight forward allwin.

Cheers
Stoxman
Attachments
Slot machine.JPG
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Hi
Welcome to the world of slot machines.
Unless you already have a copy, I would suggest you buy a copy of "Arcades and slot machines" by Paul Braithwaite, it is a great reference book and has lots of info. It is the best £12 I have spent!

I do believe it is available from penny machines in the library.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Hawtins were a company based in Blackpool and made various coin operated machines including a 'clutching hand' merchandiser, a jukebox, a steer-a-ball machine and the allwin you have. Wonders were a significant manufacturer of allwins and are noted not least for the risque trademark as evidenced on the flicker handle back plate and the hammer cover of your machine. The Bonus appeared also with another backflash under the name Win and Mystery. Basically they made allwins in two sizes (with a couple of exceptions) - standard size allwins (like yours) and large allwins (e.g. Honest Joe, Towerbridge etc). :)
stoxman22

Post by stoxman22 »

Thanks for the info...I have ordered the book also.

Any idea of age of my machines?
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I would think the Hawtins was from the '30s and the Wondermatics from the late '50s. Please correct me someone if I am wrong.