Somebody knows... Maybe you?
marktol

Mills Vest Pocket

Postby marktol » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi All,

I was wondering how common these are in the UK - do they come up for sale very often? Also what is a reasonable price to pay for one?

I've seen a few on ebay in the States but none in the UK. I really quite like them and considering getting one sent over but of course the cost goes up significantly doing that. If they are not rare items here then I may sit tight and wait. I guess there is always the possibility one may show up at the auction next month as well....?

Cheers,
Mark

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Mills Pocket Vest

Postby badpenny » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:46 pm

I've never paid over £300 for one but I haven't bought one for more than 6 years and prices have both dipped and risen since then.
That was a really helpful answer wasn't it? :-(

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:08 pm

Mills introduced the Vest Pocket in 1938 and Sega acquired the rights to manufacture it in the 1950s, rechristening it the Mini-Sega. These seem to turn up more frequently, in the UK at least. For that reason, I imagine it would be a cheaper alternative.

marktol

Postby marktol » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:10 pm

Thanks,

There seem to be a lot of shabby ones about. I presume the UK ones will use 6d?

Many thanks,
Mark

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:25 pm

Yes, I've never seen them on any other coin. There are some shabby ones for sure. I guess they had hard lives. !!CRUTCHES!!

malcymal

Re: Mills Vest Pocket

Postby malcymal » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:27 am

I have seen them on ebay many times over the years in various condtions averaging around £300 mark. I think they are ok; id gracefully accept one if somebody gave it to me but Im not really sure they hold any presence in a collection. They certainly arent eye candy, blue or gold hammerite finish..yuk. You can still get reel strips for them though. I kick myself though for not buying a sega clover at the brighton jukebox fair £275. This was a minature machine, small chromed lever arm, without the hidden reel cover that dispensed bubble gum on a win; that was pure eye candy and in mint condition too. A picture of one attached, if anybody has one who wants to part with it please PM me.
24324.jpg

willborl

Postby willborl » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:33 am

There's one come up on Ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mills-Mini-Sega-v ... 500wt_1156

Looks a bit pricey though :!?!:

marktol

Postby marktol » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:50 pm

Yes I saw that, very pricey!!

Another overly expensive High Top has cropped up as well:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/One-arm-bandit-vi ... 4aa5adfdea

This was previously listed a few weeks ago and the seller could not give any more pics or details as was selling for someone else. It didn't get any bids at 250, so God knows how they will sell it for 590!! Not particularly well indexed either...!

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:10 pm

PennyMachines wrote:Yes, I've never seen them on any other coin. There are some shabby ones for sure. I guess they had hard lives. !!CRUTCHES!!
Thing is, what would they have been used for? Or at least the later ones like Sega, and how could they have had a hard life? Surely arcades or fairs would not use them, as people would just pick them up and walk away. The places where these were designed for were counter-tops, mainly bars... but were these really used a lot in pubs in this country? Obviously the original theme of hiding them was mainly applicable during the 30s in the US. I guess we had strict gaming laws here, so maybe there was a market for them in remote country pubs or men's working clubs..... !PUZZLED! They do not seem to be a rare item and come up reasonably regularly. I have one from a novelty point and they are fun. I love how they have compacted everything into such a small space and with the full 20 coin payout. 500 pounds is way too optimistic. Good luck to them.

special when lit

Postby special when lit » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:31 pm

I once got one off ebay for £65 complete with a load of 6d tokens. Kept most of the tokens & sold the Sega a few months later to a bloke in Portugal for £350!
Wish I could make that much profit from everything I sell!