BINGOLA Auto-Electric OVERLOADS

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
cadillac55uk

BINGOLA Auto-Electric OVERLOADS

Post by cadillac55uk »

I have a BINGOLA Machine and it needs two new 'overloads' does anyone have an idea where I could get them from? or any other ideas? !PUZZLED!
slotalot

Re: BINGOLA Auto-Electric OVERLOADS

Post by slotalot »

Hi cadillac55uk :D , are the overloads missing? or just not working? Can you post a good clear photo !!PHOTO!! ? Regards Stuart. :tarah:
cadillac55uk

Post by cadillac55uk »

Hi Stuart,
At present the machine is at a chap's house who was looking at it for us. The parts are in situ but not working.
Regards,
Scott
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Scott :D , OK, out of the two types shown in the photos, which one do you have on your machine? Regards Stuart.
Attachments
overloads.jpg
bulgin flasher.jpg
cadillac55uk

Post by cadillac55uk »

The top picture.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Scott :D , your chances of finding any are very slim. I was very lucky when I needed some for my Roto-Pool machine, as another member of this forum sent me some that he no longer needed, however they did need rewinding. It’s a fiddly job but it can be done. I have a small amount of wire and tape left over if you want me to send you some, also you have to be very careful when you are setting them up, if they are not adjusted right they could very quickly overheat and may burn out. Their correct function in the circuit is to provide a small delay between landing on a winning light and the payout solenoid operating. The second one comes into play if you keep your finger on the start button for too long, or if the start button sticks in. Let me know what you want to do. Regards Stuart. :tarah:
cadillac55uk

Post by cadillac55uk »

Hi Stuart, Thanks for your prompt response. I'll mail you :D
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

OK, I will keep a lookout in my emails !!JUNK!!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Hey, what's the difference with the two switches shown other than a cover on the second one? I'll bet they turn up on eBay every now and then, ok if you can be patient, or look ahead of time before starting a project.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi gameswat :D , I am not sure there is any difference in the two switches, they may even be the same, but I have never had the chance to remove the green cover from any of mine to take a look :!?!: , as for Ebay I am sure you are right, but I have been keeping my eyes open for them :o , but so far I have never seen one :NBG: . I was very lucky when I was working on my Roto-Pool machine last year, a member of this forum very kindly gave me two overloads that he didn't need, ( !!CHEERS!! Richard, if you are still out there) I did have to rewind the elements to make them work, and it's quite a fiddly job I can tell you. :tarah:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Stuart ........ are these cut out devices? Do they work on a bi metal strip principle? What is it exactly that you are rewinding? What voltage do they take? Have you spelt my name right in your last will & testament? :cool:
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Badpenny wrote:Stuart ........ are these cut out devices? Do they work on a bi metal strip principle? What is it exactly that you are rewinding? What voltage do they take? Have you spelt my name right in your last will & testament? :cool:
Hi Jeremy, now pay attention, I will say this only once, I am not going to repeat myself, so as I say I will only say this once !PUZZLED!
:didact: They do work with a bi metal strip that has a hair thin resistance wire coiled round it, and on the payout circuit this coil is wired in Parallel with the bell, I hope you are following this, as I said I dont want to repeat myself as I say its wired in parallel with the bell, and on a winning light this forms a short circuit direct to the negative supply, on payout the bell rings, and the wire coil starts to warm up, once it is hot enough the bi metal strip bends and opens the contact feeding the bell and the coil, thus removing the short circuit, the full power is then allowed to flow through the payout solenoid and you get your penny back... if the overloads are not adjusted correctly and it doesn’t open, it can over heat and burn out the resistance wire and it will need to be rewound, are you still with me? as I dont want to repeat myself., as for the voltage? well that depends on your machine, it can be anything from 24v to 50v DC.
Tune in tomorrow for another fun packed instalment , and remember children, Don’t Try This At Home
As for my Last Will & Testemament, I have left everything to Mrs Slotalot !WORSHIPFULL! , I did think of leaving her to you, but I couldn’t do that to a mate, it wouldn’t be fair :oops:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

................ pardon ;-)
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Badpenny wrote:................ pardon ;-)
Granted :D
rbrewerton

Post by rbrewerton »

Hi Stuart, Yes I am still here, just trying to keep my head above water but below the parapet. Glad that you were able to make use of the thermal cutouts though I didn't realise that they needed rewiring. Anyway I didn't manage to get myself anything at Coventry this time, perhaps I'm getting a bit tight, but I have been working on an electro mech machine of my own design based on a snooker theme which I rather imaginatively am calling "pot black". If I get it finished and if it works then I'll write to Jerry. Have a good year. Richard.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The reason I asked about the function and workings of these tricky little beggars is that in the motorcycle world we use bi metal strip cut outs instead of fuses. I don't know if they could be adapted and of course they work on 12 volts, but just thought I'd mention it for the sake of auld lang syne.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Badpenny wrote:The reason I asked about the function and workings of these tricky little beggars is that in the motorcycle world we use bi metal strip cut outs instead of fuses. I don't know if they could be adapted and of course they work on 12 volts, but just thought I'd mention it for the sake of auld lang syne.
Hi Jeremy :D , Yes I think you are spot on here !THUMBS! , I was once told that they were signal flashers, and were used on early cars !!BRRRMM!! but try as I may Ican't find any more info on them, and I have been right to the back corner of the internet to look for it !!JUNK!! I am sure someone on here must know what they were made for......Anyone????? :tarah:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The bike ones I have in my draw of stuff I'll never need again but I must forever keep close to me were about £12 a throw I believe, and in a sealed unit.
They are very small but don't seem to be adjustable.
A quick squint through the internet suggests that such marvels also sit inside dishwashers, irons and old vacuum cleaners (whatever any of that lot are?)