Oh dear, I've done it again

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
YONTY

Oh dear, I've done it again

Post by YONTY »

I have bought this machine after saying 'no more', but I saw it on ebay with only 4 mins to go and did not have time to think.
allwin 004.JPG

allwin 006.JPG

So I need help again please. I think it is a 1930s BM co. Any other thoughts? I think I have found a source of door hinges. Any other sources? But I do need a hammer cover and good photos of a case with sizes please, or photos and sizes of hammer cover.
Thanks.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: Oh dear, I've done it again

Post by coin-op »

Congratulations, that will make a nice machine once you have put your time, effort and skills into it. Actually, I don't think that was a bad price either. I'd say it was a BMco, based on 24 BMcos I've seen and the metal work/payout cup on your door.

I'm not aware of any source for hinges, someone did re-cast some and was selling rough castings at Jerry's auction a couple of years ago. However, by the time you have bought them (if he had any left), fettled them and chromed them, I can't imagine that they offer anything over an available set of original hinges. Certainly, I'm not aware of anyone else selling replacements, so I'd grab what you have been offered if they are not too expensive. As to the hammer cover, well it looks from the picture as if you have the main part there; if you can get a bit of suitable gauge tin and silver solder it, you could get it re-chromed.

Regarding the case. I have found that the sizes of BMco cases I have come across have never been quite standard, so personally I'd just make a cabinet which fits the door using 1 inch oak and maybe add a lower cashbox door allowing about 2 3/4 " for that. I can tell you that I have a BMco 24 cup and the door is a couple of inches shorter than yours and also about 1 inch narrower. I actually looked at the door you bought as a replacement, as mine is an automatic payout version (missing the payout stuff - anyone out there got it??? :!?!: ) and I did consider bidding on the door to replace it. However, I decided that by the time I then messed around with the new door, I might as well get round to making a suitable payout mechanism for mine.
Good luck with it.
Also, as someone mentioned to me. Unusual to see the hinges and door lock on the opposite sides to where usually found.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Coin-op wrote:Also, as someone mentioned to me. Unusual to see the hinges and door lock on the opposite sides to where usually found.
That's a good point when looking for your new hinges: lift off hinges are handed for a left or right handed doors !PUZZLED! If you are offered any, double check to see that they will be OK for your machine !!IDEA!!
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

I also need B M Co auto payout parts... Has anyone ever tried to get these recast?
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

livinginthepast wrote:Has anyone ever tried to get these recast?
I thought it would be a bit complicated to re-cast. However, there is an alternate automatic payout mechanism which they used on the Wizzard (not sure if they used it on any of their other machines), and that seems to be a more viable thing to work from. Although, it would need a little thought and perhaps a little tweeking. Anyway, I'll have firsties if anyone does have a spare payout mech going ;-) . Failing that, as and when (and if ever), I get round to trying to adapt mine along the Wizzard system, I'll let you know.....if I'm going to go down in flames I'd rather take someone with me !!SUICIDAL!!