Bryans Clock with fruit dial

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coino777

Bryans Clock with fruit dial

Post by coino777 »

Is this a very rare version of a Bryans Clock with one hand and fruit style face or just a badly restored machine that went wong?
Attachments
ae_1.jpg
ae_1.jpg (29.17 KiB) Viewed 8763 times
bryansjim

fruit clock

Post by bryansjim »

Hi,
I spoke to a Bryans collector at an auction, a few years ago now. He told me he had one of these. This is the first one I have seen. There is nothing metioned on Melvyn Wright's Bryans site about this style of clock. The paper clock dial looks good. The bar symbol looks like Bryans version of the bars on one armed bandits. :beamup:

Personally I like it!
grabber

Post by grabber »

Hello, I think I have seen this machine in a photocopied Bryan's machine catalogue. Can't find it at the moment but I think it's called Roto Fruit? Maybe I'm wrong, but it looked like a real machine, not a fake. :D
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I can attest that this is a "real" Clock by Bryans. By that, I mean that I personally saw this machine in 2001 in Los Angeles when I purchased the Glenn Collection. Since I already owned a 12 Win, I did not purchase this game. At the time, I was bowled over by the diversity of the other 60 plus games comprising the collection. I was under the impression then that this was just another Clock with an after-market face. In view of the discussion so far, I may have been wrong. I wish I had taken a closer look. Perhaps the chap who purchased it off Ebay this week can enlighten us as I see he lives in Great Britain. Your loyal Yankee correspondent.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

I can't add much to this debate but I can confirm that I have seen about a dozen or so over the past ten years... and yes they all had different cases and no, I didn't see the same one 12 times!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Here's another example plus a Bryans factory pic supplied by Bryansfan to prove the Fruit clock wasn't just an operator's revamp.
Attachments
Clock face fruits.jpg
Clock face fruits.jpg (30.54 KiB) Viewed 8577 times
clocktow1.jpg
clocktow1.jpg (30.02 KiB) Viewed 8577 times
Bent Copper

Post by Bent Copper »

I'm afraid that photo just adds to the confusion. That one clearly IS an operators revamp (and a very bad one at that).

The arrow is clearly home-made and you can see that the fruit symbols have just been stuck on to a standard clock face. The original clock instructions 'Big hand on red' are still there, and no longer make any sense with the new face. It doesn't match up with the 'sales photo' above either.

So at least some of these fruit clocks are revamps, if not all of them. :-(
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, the one in the lower picture is obviously new paper stuck over an original clock face - so it looks like some came with fruit symbols from the factory while others were done later.

A British gambling game which didn't immediately look like a fruit machine to the authorities was the raison d'etre of the Clock. When more leniency was shown towards American bandits, the disguise could be dropped.

Bryans presumably responded by offering a fruit symbol version of the Clock which was more appealing to players already familiar with the bandits and later developed the idea into the Fruitbowl. Meanwhile, Bryans and probably others provided fruit paperwork to give the old Clocks a revamp. I've seen Clock faces supplied by Whales of Redcar (presumably to replace damaged paperwork), so they could well have printed fruit paperwork too. This also gave the operators the excuse to remove the little hand, and with it the jackpot.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Melvyn has pointed out that the b/w picture isn't a Bryan's flyer as I'd thought, but is from a Sotheby's 1987 auction catalogue. I remember the sale now (one of the first I attended).

And looking closely, I see the fruit paperwork was applied to an earlier Clock face. So we're back to the revamp theory.
pauljt71

Bryans Clock 12win Jackpot

Post by pauljt71 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Here are some pictures of my Bryans Clock. The mechanism seems clean, although the key is VERY hard to turn to start the game. Is there a way of adjusting it?

As you will see, the dial is incorrect. Investigation has shown it has replaced the original and behind it is the movable panel that should have the payout amounts in circles that show through the holes on the numbers on the clock face....if that all makes sense.

The hands are missing and only one is installed. Does anyone have some pictures or measurements so that I can have a go at making a pair of correct hands please?
Attachments
DF12BA04-BEF7-415F-B888-D5126E964C1a.jpg
4A474411-3324-49E5-B76F-4BB91318D22a.jpg
07DC608A-6662-4C41-B726-3155A659FA9a.jpg
119DEBD8-014A-4C68-ACDD-9F6AC2409CBa.jpg
BF2BD083-16F0-4B5A-A3C3-78861CCD225a.jpg
4DAC18BB-B42F-4385-A3D9-AFC38599FF2a.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Bryans Clock 12win Jackpot

Post by coppinpr »

That face is definitely not unknown, but I don't know when they were used.
Attachments
clock3.jpg
pauljt71

Re: Bryans Clock 12win Jackpot

Post by pauljt71 »

Interesting, so my clock face and single hand may be original for this particular model then...
brigham

Re: Bryans Clock with fruit dial

Post by brigham »

Presumably 'Glenvil' is the supplier of the conversion?
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Seems crazy to me that Bryans would have dumbed down a Clock mech themselves like this. Forgetting the major part of the mech which is the "Tick-Tock" to replicate a real clock, there is the complication of the two hands running with both stopping on 12 for a jackpot. I can't believe Bryans would build all that mech and then not add the other hand!? And how do you know you were supposed to win a jackpot or not with only one hand?? Makes total sense though that this Glenvil was either offering the conversion or likely doing it himself. There were obviously tons of boring Clocks floating around England that had been in the market forever so a change like this would add some new life for sure.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I have one with both hands.
cjfenney

Post by cjfenney »

Sorry for jumping on this post, I have a Bryans Clock (standard face) and must admit I do like this fruit dial and wondered if anyone knew where I could source a replacement face from at all? !PUZZLED! TIA
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

cjfenney wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:45 pm Sorry for jumping on this post, I have a Bryans Clock (standard face) and must admit I do like this fruit dial and wondered if anyone knew where I could source a replacement face from at all? !PUZZLED! TIA
I did buy a spare one I think at a previous Coventry auction. Can try and get a better scan, I was going to do a cleaned up one in photoshop as well..
Attachments
7D0BA970-AA47-4ABB-87AB-D2D9F6499DFD.jpeg
cjfenney

Post by cjfenney »

Oh lovely, if you do manage to replicate it, definitely let me know and I'll happily buy one from you?
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

cjfenney wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:05 pm Oh lovely, if you do manage to replicate it, definitely let me know and I'll happily buy one from you?
I’ll take one too, or I’m quite happy to do my own photoshopping, if you can provide a scan.