Sega, top rear case needed

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coppinpr

Sega, top rear case needed

Post by coppinpr »

A bought a total wreck of a Sega Diamond Star some months ago just for spares but I ran out of machines to work on (I'm not like some of you guys with 20 years of projects waiting in the shed) while I'm waiting for a Groetchen to arrive from the USA so I thought I'd have a go at the Sega.
sega1.jpg

It's worked out quite well considering it was a total wipe out. The mech was near perfect and the jackpot works great (that's what I bought it for really, to put the jackpot in my Mills High Top, but it was a different fitting (?)) The escalator needed a simple repair and is fine now and I re-painted the case. The chrome was bad and I can't do much with it. I did chrome spray the coin tray with a spray from Wilkinsons and it at least looks OK (see photo). All I need now is a top rear case and a back door. I can do something about the door but does anyone know where I can get a top rear?
sega back.jpg

Thanks, Paul..........
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: sega,top rear case needed

Post by badpenny »

I'm surprised nobody has yet had any rear bonnets cast for Mills/Sega machines as there must be so many out there missing this essential piece. You drop it and it smashes, then what? :-(
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Hi Tops were recast many times over: I posted a set of casting moulds for sale on here a few months ago. The Lite-Up, I guess just is not in the same league and not of the same value, there are so many about and they get broken up. Broken up ones often come up for sale, I accidentally bought back doors for these as they were misadvertised as Mills, of course they were Sega Lite Ups and shorter....

There are some people who break them up just for the mechanism, escalator and jackpots. PM me if you want a contact who has hundreds of spares.

Also beware that the machines without the Sega stamped on the front may not fit a proper Sega machine, different moulds....I have one of these spare all bits available, but will not fit your machine....
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Absolutely correct: British Sega-likeys (Berkeleys) parts are not interchangeable with Segas as I have experimented.
Back bonnet completely different and will not line up and latch between Segas and Berkeleys.
Mech base plates different, does not fit the reel mech the same.
Coin mech, not interchangeable, e.g. Sega escalator will fit to the Berkeley case but will not actuate properly with main mech. And so on....

I've got a complete Sega Diamond 3 star (case de-assembled in readiness for renovation). Got jackpot unit, escalator, top box, rear hood, genuine back-door with genuine lock and key. Reel Mech is excellent (£ symbols, Mad Money) with special award payout cogs, actuator and special award chute. Happy to do an exchange for whole lot or come to arrangement as changing my focus from bandits to slimmer wall type machines. I'm down South though, if you are passing through happy for you to have a look. By the way, bloke local rechromed a Sega payout tray for me with brilliant results for £60, so might be worth doing with yours?!?!
coppinpr

Re: Sega, top rear case needed

Post by coppinpr »

Actually I'm only a few miles from you in Lewes so no problem getting to you but I don't think I've anything that might interest you in the way of wall mounted other than a Bingolette that needs work or a Rotary fully restored. Nice to know there is at least one other collector in the South though. I was beginning to think every machine for sale was 150 miles away!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Surprised you guys did not go for a very cheap (£62) Hanno Roulett last week, which was down your way. I was tempted but missed it. I already have two from the Coventry auction last November, of course as usual yet to look at them. :-(
Attachments
roullet.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Never saw that!!! Just my thing as well. !OMFG!