Jennings Bingo Belle

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
hankat

Jennings Bingo Belle

Post by hankat »

Have recently purchased and could do with some help and advice. Are these the same as the Governor machines mechanically, just with different award systems and reels? Mine is set on two pulls for the old 5 Shilling. Is it possible to alter to new 10p and, if so, how? Can one date the machine from the serial numbers? There is a written ref to Vegas inside, but it has obviously been converted for the UK market.

I could do with knowing if the pump is of any significance. Mine does not appear to be connected. Is it important or should I leave well alone? Some of the springs look well knackered, so any advice on best place to obtain would be gratefully appreciated and, lastly, I have taken the handle off for rechroming. I can't get the red knob off one end or the arm out of the other. Are they threaded? Any advice or pointers on any of the above would be of great assistance, Kind regards to all.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Not really being a "bandit person" I can only answer a few of your questions.

Yes, the Bingo Belle is simply a Governor variation - mechanically identical in every way as far as I know, with a slightly different payout scheme and award cards. The Chicago based Jennings & Company set up a facility in the Bahamas to assemble Governors which were aimed at the British market thereby dodging British tax import duties.

I guess Richard Bueschel's two volume reference work on Jennings would allow you to date the machine from the serial number. I don't have a copy unfortunately.

The pump acts as a damper on the handle and should slow its return. It's not essential, but I see no reason to disconnect it.

Yes, the knob is threaded but may need a tool to remove (otherwise it would have already been nicked). I've replated without removing the knob - have a word with the platers.