Somebody knows... Maybe you?
treefrog

Giant Wonders Allwins

Postby treefrog » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:21 pm

There are two giant Wonders on ebay at the moment: an Honest Joe and a Tower Bridge. The Tower Bridge seller states that the giant allwin was more popular than the smaller machines. I had always assumed it was the other way round from a collector's point, stating the obvious space issues and number of machines you could collect.....

On another note, did Wonders actually make a version of each machine in both variants, large and small, or only a smaller selection of machines?

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: Giant Wonders Allwins

Postby coin-op » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:17 am

The range of artwork for large Wonders was distinct from that of the small Wonders machines - it never carried across nor visa versa. As you say, smaller allwins mean they can be more easily accomodated than the larger variant. However, I do think that the larger allwins 'play better' as the ball has a longer track to navigate which makes for a longer game and a bit more suspense. As to whether one is better than the other, how do you rate a Wonders Boomerang or Patsy Fair against a Towerbridge or Honest Joe? Which would you turn away!

YONTY

Postby YONTY » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:03 pm

I am restoring a 24 cup Allwin, nothing fancy, it's got like a tartan backing but above every cup it's got a small metal pin. Very hard to win with them in; quite easy if I take them out. Pictures I have seen of 24 Cups do not seem to show them. Should they be fitted? Or has someone just fitted them to make more money?

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Postby coin-op » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:04 pm

The cups ought not to have pins above them. Yours is just an operator add-on to defeat the customer.