B Firman & Co. products

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
tammy

Re: Firmans

Post by tammy »

Hi coppinpr, thank you for the set of bandit reel brakes that arrived today. We have just fitted them and what a difference they have made! The bandit reels run slower and don't jump when they stop. It's made my machine far more enjoyable. Thanking you again and we will keep in touch. tammy
coppinpr

Re: Firmans

Post by coppinpr »

Glad to have been of service. !!THUMBSX2!!
polaris

Firman bandit identified

Post by polaris »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Does anyone recognise this, has characteristics of Mills Extraordinary but leaning more towards Jennings. Never seen one.
Attachments
AAD58AF3-0654-4846-B4B0-8A02E165CE35.jpeg
treefrog

Re: Bandit

Post by treefrog »

Firmans,

Guy in Scotland has been trying to sell for a long time and asking a lot of lolly... Bit of a marmite machine, certainly not pretty, maybe their take on an Extraordinary.

A lot of collectors have considered but not committed on this one...
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

my god.they threw it all at this one didn't they, over the top art deco, skill stops, jackpot,gold award and the first machine to have a webcam as a coin entry :o

have to admit,id like it at the right price :lol:
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

He won't sell it. He's been all over Facebook with it 18 months ago, wasting everyones's time. Pay it no attention!!!! !PUNISH!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes, I copied a picture when it listed first time assuming it would be snapped up by the hoards, but suspect he would not let go for less than his asking price.

For me it is worth nowhere near the £1000 asking, especially as not seen inside. I have tried to like it, but can’t. It is damn right ugly, probably should be in the ugly list. In fact I have never bought a Firmans. Always felt they are too rough... The word 'monstrosity' comes to mind. :shock:
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

It should have a model of King Kong on the top, perhaps holding Fay Wray in its arms. :lol:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

As treefrog says, it's by Firman - far as I know, the only all-Firman bandit. I've seen a couple of other examples.
polaris

Re: Firman bandit identified

Post by polaris »

It’s certainly an ugly beast still be decent project at half the money and half again.
brigham

Post by brigham »

I'd have to buy that, if I was offered it.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

brigham wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:12 pm I'd have to buy that, if I was offered it.

I think we all would, just not for the money... He has had numerous collectors make offers as watlingman stated. I have not even bothered as collection from other end of Scotland. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

pennymachines wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:27 pm ... far as I know, the only all-Firman bandit.
Are you saying they made the mechanism? I thought they re-used Mills and made changes as well as their own jackpot.
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

I’d go for it at the right price.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:36 pm Are you saying they made the mechanism?
Yeah, I thought so, but seems unlikely doesn't it? One the members here owns one - so maybe we can find out.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Sometimes you just have to put your hand in your pocket to buy something you really want. Everyone would buy it at the right price for them, but if you really want to own it, it has to be the right price for the seller. Even if you don't think it's a realistic or fair price now, or you tell yourself you'd be paying well over the odds ,when rare pieces come up for sale and you really like whatever it is , treat yourself!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

That’s exactly the point..... no one really wants it that badly. :HaHa:
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

It's threads like these where a machine, not regularly seen on the open market at a seller price that seems excessive to the majority of would be buyers, can bring another identical machine onto the marketplace where the owner would be happy to sell at a significantly lower price than the original seller, so both parties would be happy with the deal on the "newly sourced" machine.

With regard Moonriver's point, I once bought a machine I couldn't source from elsewhere at a price I thought excessive. The machine was abroad and thankfully the seller had a stand at an event in the UK so it didn't need to be shipped here. I didn't pay the full excessive price as he bought some parts off me in the same transaction that I had picked up cheaply a month earlier.

Just three weeks after, I went to a possible lead on some machines and bought a dozen assorted bandits, including two of the identical "rare" machine I hadn't been able to source for years and each for a third of the price of the one I had just bought. It took some time to find someone equally enthusiastic as me for this model and he paid a bit more than I paid for the "excessive" priced one and a few years later sold another for the same "excessive" price. I still retain the third machine that I bought at the lowest price, almost 20 years ago. It's the nicest of the three, as I swapped all the best award cards, original chrome, reel bundle and trim pieces onto the machine I kept.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

aristomatic wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:00 am I once bought a machine I couldn't source from elsewhere at a price I thought excessive...
So, tell us, is it a Mills mech?
10 stop?
Fake JP bank?
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Here are some pics of my machine and the mechanism. I actually really like this machine. I'm not a bandit person, but assuming it's just a Mills 10 stop mechanism.
Attachments
image5a.jpg
image3a.jpg
image2a.jpg
image1a.jpg
image0a.jpg