Treasure Cave (Elephant Gift Vender)

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
miked16

Re: Treasure Cave (Elephant Gift Vender)

Post by miked16 »

Managed to get the front panel off today. Unfortunately no key for the lock :( , but was able to unscrew the brackets holding it in place inside and then slide it out. So now I have managed to get some *hopefully* better pictures of the Coin Mechanism:
treasurecave_coinmec1.jpg

treasurecave_coinmec2.jpg

treasurecave_coinmec3.jpg

treasurecave_coinmec4.jpg

I imagine it's just a case of looking around, but does anyone know a supplier of locks or even keys for old locks? I would like to get the front one changed especially so that I have a key to it. The side doors aren't so important really because one is open already. Here are the locks;

Front door:
treasurecave_frontlock1.jpg

treasurecave_frontlock2.jpg

Side doors:
treasurecave_doorlock1.jpg

treasurecave_doorlock2.jpg

Stuart, thanks for your email, just going to send you one now!

Thanks again all!
JC

Post by JC »

Yes, the boxes on my site are for the Elephant vendor - they're listed as suitable for Whales Win a Gift allwins because it's supposed to be a site for allwin spares! But they're all the same size. (I have 10,000 of them, by the way - so hold the Hong Kong order for now).
Back in the '60s, there were are lot of Auto Gift machines to be found on fairgrounds - the boxes in these were bigger (I don't know why - all you got was a crap tinny ring which would have fitted in a matchbox).
trevb

Post by trevb »

Brings back memories as one of the better novelty machines giving out gifts or cards. We had them in the arcades I worked in in the '70s. The light blue boxes came flatpacked and had to be made up and filled with very junky trinkets and small toys. Fun if you have a machine at home as a hobby, but a bit dull on a busy summer's day with the thing constantly emptied by punters, making up several hundred boxes at a time! The other novelty machine needing 'feeding' was the fortune teller - put your hand in, press down on a springplate which lit up and read your 'fortune'. These had to be topped up constantly with stacks of cards, and I'm afraid to say they were random - they didn't really analyse your future prospects and deliver a personal message....perhaps we would be caught by the Trades Descriptions Act these days! Another one was a target shooter which gave out paper targets with holes in. These were, of course, punched from behind by a puncher mounted on a bar connected to the gun - so it did depend on a good aim. Happy days!
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Whereabouts was that Trev? I always wonder where arcades buy in their gifts from ....is there a trade magazine or do they get reps that call with suitcases full of plastic wonders? There is a lot of quite good Diecast cars in the 2p pushers these days and I'd love to get my hands on some of those in quantity, but the operators keep it all pretty quiet!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Try looking up "Swag" a lot of the swagmen were known to the showmen and just turned up with a van load periodically where the fairs were touring.
World's Fair used to be full of adverts for swag, I should think nowadays they just buy it off eBay.

Yemerj
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Mike - your Treasure Cave is the earliest (and most attractive) version I've seen.
Treasure Island, from last year's Elephant House auction, is probably the most recent (and ugliest).
Treasure Island by Sound Leisure Ltd.
Treasure Island by Sound Leisure Ltd.

In the composite picture on page 3 of this thread, showing eight machines (at least four of which look radically different), I notice all employ the same PUSH prize door casting.
The only one which doesn't is Sound Leisure Ltd.'s revival of the game, above. I always assumed Oliver Whales was the sole maker. Is there any evidence (apart from the diversity of styles) that another company made them?
JC

Post by JC »

pennymachines wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:33 pmI notice all employ the same PUSH prize door casting.
The PUSH prize doors are actually from Waltonian merchandisers. It's odd that so many should end up on these Elephant machines - their use seems to be universal.
jubileeriviera1

Post by jubileeriviera1 »

Hi
I'm in Edinburgh, Scotland. I was offered one of these a few weeks ago by a showman if anyone is interested in buying one.
Kev
craig123

Post by craig123 »

Hi All :tarah:

I know it's a long shot but I was wondering if anyone is, or knows of someone who is selling one of these machines??

Thanks,

Craig.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

There is a video of a Treasure Cave on You Tube. Search 'Oliver Whales Treasure Cave.

brigham

Post by brigham »

Splendid!
I still haven't found one.
Or a Bryan's Bran Tub...
restoman

Post by restoman »

Bought mine about 18 months ago, rebuilt the mechanism onto a new base board as original planks had warped and split. Also updated electrics as originals were lethal.

It’s working now but still got to restore the outside.
Attachments
IMG_20200818_102137a.jpg
_MG_0048a.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

Will you be retaining the elephant, or is that also to be 'updated'?
I've seen one with Thomas the Tank Engine, on a staggering £1 play!
restoman

Post by restoman »

Definitely keeping the elephant and as much of the original machine as I can. There's a top flash to go on it as well, but one of the glass panels is broken, and it makes it too tall to go through a standard door, so may have to be a bit of sympathetic re-work on that.
I've even got a load of original swag that came with and also picked up several hundred unused boxes. Also got visible bits of original coin mech that I'm going to use as coin entry for a programmable coin mech.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

£1 does not seem excessive when you consider that an arcade not far from me charged £1.50 and had thought about charging £2 for a Thomas the Tank version. It dispensed plastic capsules, no doubt with updated tat inside. He recently sold the machine as he thought it was a bit tired and outdated.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Anything figural that moves, and/or vends a fortune card, will support £1 price of play if single sited, from Fortune Teller machines, Peppy the Clown, Sooty Band, Pelham Puppet Show, etc, even Treasure Cave provided that a quality prize is vended.