Treasure Cave (Elephant Gift Vender)

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
karinatrudy

Treasure Cave (Elephant Gift Vender)

Post by karinatrudy »

Hi! Does anyone remember the arcade machine in the 60s 70s - it was like a treasure chest and you got a prize every time. It had all gifts inside and when you entered your money a jewelled elephant went round and then dropped a little white box down and you got some treasure. It was something like Aladdin's Cave or Ali Baba's Treasure trove. I remember seeing one similar a few years back. There was one that I particularly remember outside an amusement arcade in Folkstone, England. Does anyone know if there are any around today?
slotalot

Re: Treasure Chest Arcade Machine of the 60s 70s

Post by slotalot »

Hi karinatrudy :D , welcome to the forum....
Is this the machine you were thinking about?
It is called Treasure Cave, made by Oliver Whales in the 1950s. The idea for this machine came from Oliver Whales' daughter Mary :cool:
I know one was for sale on ebay last week, don't know who got it. :!?!:
Attachments
treasure cave.jpg
karinatrudy

Post by karinatrudy »

O wow! Yes, that is the machine. It looks just like the one that was at Folkstone - it brings back a lot of happy memories. Thank you.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Three sales of these are recorded in the Arena: one sold for a mere £45 in May 2005 and the same price again in April 2008. The upper one sold for a more respectable £280 in September 2008.
Attachments
15.jpg
15.jpg (15.29 KiB) Viewed 16780 times
E40.jpg
karinatrudy

Post by karinatrudy »

Wow I wish I had looked then - I haven't got the room but I loved these machines so much. It's a very treasured memory of the seaside holidays.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, it's the size (and weight) which scares most of us. This page at Penny in the Slot features a short video of the elephant delivering a gift

Elephant-gift.gif
Elephant-gift.gif (4.61 MiB) Viewed 13143 times

JC

Elephant gift vendor boxes

Post by JC »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer of gift boxes suitable for the Treasure Cave (Elephant) gift vending machines? This is sort of a rhetorical question, if not a very silly one, because I’m pretty sure the answer is no! I know of several people who operate these machines (or would like to, if they could get the bloody boxes) but no one seems to know of a supplier of the said boxes.
So question number 2 – how many of you out there would be interested in buying fairly large quantities of boxes if I can get them manufactured? I have found two possible suppliers, but we’re talking tens of thousands – more than I will ever need in a lifetime.

Jerry
jingle

Re: Elephant gift vendor boxes

Post by jingle »

jerry i havnt really looked
but are they same size as
the bran tub
anyway i would
take a bag

price 1st tho lad
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Jerry :D what size are the boxes? !PUZZLED!
JC

Post by JC »

The exact size is: 98mm x 49mm x 17mm

I've no idea if they are suitable for the Bran Tub, but they are the same size as those used in Whales Win a Gift allwins and possibly Giftmaster machines.
paulcfc

Elephant Machine....as i called it!

Post by paulcfc »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi all
One of my abiding memories of childhood was walking from Cliftonville to Margate (on holiday from sunny Leicester) on the way to Dreamland. On the way was the highlight of the walk... The Elephant Machine! It was an elephant that went round a track and into a cave and magically came out with a box which, at that time, seemed terrific for someone of my age! Anyway, being in my 40s now and with a young son I was wondering if any of these machines were ever up for sale.

They were in a case and, from what I can remember, looked quite old then! I'd just like to get my hands on one if they still exist.
slotalot

Re: Elephant Machine....as i called it!

Post by slotalot »

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum :D
I think the machine you are looking for is called the Treasure Cave, made by Whales of Redcar, they do come up for sale from time to time. Here is an old photo I have found on my computer !!JUNK!!
Sorry, it's not mine. :tarah:
Attachments
15.jpg
15.jpg (18.94 KiB) Viewed 6423 times
miked16

Re: Treasure Cave (Elephant Gift Vender)

Post by miked16 »

Hi all,

I recently acquired one of the Treasure Cave machines (will get some pictures taken this week) I have a few questions which I will also post in the Questions and Answer category also in case this isn't the right place to ask!

Does anyone know how the mechanics work or have photos of the inside of another working model?

Does anyone have graphics for the glass at the back, would have been 'Whales' version of a beach with galleon?

And do you know where I might get an metal old coin slot for the front? Ideally to match or go with the doors on the front:
treasurecave_doors.jpg
treasurecave_doors.jpg (37.06 KiB) Viewed 6257 times

Any help would be really really appreciated. I have wanted one of these ever since I can remember, and now that I have found one would love to get it working.

Michael.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Michael :D welcome to the site, once you post your photos I may be able to help you. Is your machine missing any bits from the mech or do you just have a pile of bits and not sure? Can I ask what part of the UK you live in? :tarah:
Please don't forget to sign our petition or like us on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/pennypetition We need your help too... lol. !!CHEERS!!
miked16

Post by miked16 »

Hi!

Thanks for the reply! I've liked the facebook page and signed the petition :D Happy to be here, have been reading as a 'guest' for a while! I'm from Shropshire in the West Midlands.

The machine seems to have all 'its bits' inside, but some are a bit rusty - I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if anything is missing but it does seem to be all together. I have taken lots of photographs today after taking the back off and posted some below, but do have lots more. I'm missing the top panel of glass from inside (with the scene on) and also the glass that goes around the very top on the outside.

Here are some pictures (those at the bottom are from before I gave it a clean);

treasure_cave_front.jpg

treasure_cave_back1.jpg

treasure_cave_back2.jpg

treasure_cave_inside1.jpg

treasure_cave_inside2.jpg

treasure_cave_inside3.jpg

treasure_cave_before_clean2.jpg

treasure_cave_before_clean1.jpg

I also need a coin slot cover for this;
treasure_cave_coinslot.jpg

I am a complete novice, so any help or pointers in the right direction will be appreciated. I don't think I will be able to repair this myself as not skilled enough but would like to get as much info as possible!

Thanks so much.

Michael.
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Wow ....fascinating machine ...takes me right back to Great Yarmouth in the '60s! Must weigh a ton!
miked16

Post by miked16 »

It really does weigh a lot!

I think this must have been 'taken out of action' in the '60s, as it never got converted after 6d. There were still some old coins in the back and lots of prizes which were very '50s/'60s.

I remember the one I saw at a fair here in Shropshire in the 1980s when I was a child. In fact it was still in use a few years ago. I took my daughter to see it and have a go, took pictures and video but can't find them anywhere on this computer. I can remember being fascinated by it as a child and going back each year the fair came to town just to see it. I always wanted to get one of my own. And finally I did and so pleased with it, especially as it seems to be an earlier version.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Michael. :D Thanks for the photos. From what I can see, it looks as if it is complete. The method of drive for the prize carrousel is not what I would have expected to see. This normally has a Geneva stop mechanisum to turn it round, but back in the day they would use whatever they had to hand at the time that would do the job, so yours will be original.
I have attached a photo of a similar machine that I restored last year. Mine had a door at the rear; yours has a door at the side. Also the cabinet is different to the one I had.
I have attached a photo that shows what the missing top glass should look like. It is reverse painted by hand on glass with acrylic paints.
What I would do is just work your way through the machine, cleaning and looking at how the bits work. If you have any specific questions, I am sure we will be able to guide you as you go on.
Good luck with the restoration, and keep in touch. :tarah:
Attachments
P8190224.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Thanks S, I'd never heard of a Geneva Drive, that's really fascinating.
Internal_Geneva_wheel_ani_220px.gif
Internal_Geneva_wheel_ani_220px.gif (174.43 KiB) Viewed 6160 times

220px-Geneva_mechanism_6spoke_animation.gif
220px-Geneva_mechanism_6spoke_animation.gif (218.66 KiB) Viewed 6160 times

Jeremy !WORSHIPFULL!

PS .. oh bugger! no sooner do you find something new then it confuddles the hell out of you .......
I've just noticed that both drive wheels are turning in opposite directions yet the plates being driven are rotating identically!!!!!!
:o !PUZZLED! :!?!:
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi BP :cool: , this is a photo of a Geneva stop from a Whales Treasure Cave, which is a much smaller machine than Michael's and only has 4 slots instead of 5 for the prize carousel, and the Whales machine is a lot...lot... lighter than Michael's machine as well. One revolution of the elephant turns the carousel a quarter turn, which means you can load the machine with 4 x the number of prizes. Very clever stuff. :tarah:
Attachments
gd_12.jpg
gd_12.jpg (11.73 KiB) Viewed 6192 times