Somebody knows... Maybe you?
john t peterson

Re: Seven mysteries of the Saxony allwin

Postby john t peterson » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:50 pm

Richard's answer to the mystery begs the question: Assuming one could launch another ball into play before the payout was completed, so what? How would this tomfoolery work to the operator's disadvantage? Almost all the reserve games that I have seen have this blocker removed and the games play fine without it. Why design something into the game that seems to be totally unnecessary? What am I missing?

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:30 am

Sometimes without trying it out it's not easy to foretell what might happen. !PUZZLED!

Like the motor manufacturer in the 70s that fitted a new style cruise control that switched itself off via a fibre optic channelling light from the brake bulb to a photo electric cell. Superb until the bulb blew and the hapless driver arrived at the Pearly Gates wearing a warped steering wheel.
:didact:
Is it possible that if a winning ball sat in on the winning lever that raises the stop and you then got another ball in there it could jam the release allowing you to empty the tube? Perhaps someone could try it out, unfortunately mine is back to one ball play.

Just a thought, sorry but it's a habit I've gotten into and really must try and restrain myself. :roll:

goddardr

Postby goddardr » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:32 pm

I agree with John, the flap always been a bit of a mystery to me too! It is true, however, that if you keep firing the balls at one particular point in the payout routine, winning ones can occasionally jam the win-release lever, as one ball is already on the way through (if you see what I mean) so I expect it's a belt and braces job.

A couple of people have asked for pics of my machine, so I took a few on my phone - dreadful quality, but they may help for now. You can just see the blocking "flap" north east of the keyhole on the first pic.

Richard Goddard (n.b. there are two Richard Goddards on this forum. I'm the other one.....Dick Goddard as was)
IMG-20120904-00008.jpg
IMG-20120904-00007.jpg
IMG-20120904-00006.jpg

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Found this photo showing the mech of the reserve ball allwin I restored for a friend in 2004 or so. Was in pretty much untouched original condition and you can see the wire armature that controls the ball stop flap - it's just above the payout stop armature. So the idea of the flap was definately to stop anybody playing a ball until the payout cycle was finished. And probably to stop jamming happening?
Allwin reserve_1.jpg
Allwin reserve mech_1.jpg

13rebel

Postby 13rebel » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:01 pm

According to the Samson advert of 1950 (recently posted in resources) Saxony allwins also came in a cigarette payout version.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:30 pm

I imagine the cigarette payout was a conversion carried out by Samsons in the 1950s.
I think we can call the 7th mystery solved - an over-engineered payout anti-jamming device.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:37 pm

Just dug out this page from Bolland's Amusement Machine Supply Co., Ltd. catalogue describing "Latest Improvements" to the Allwin De Luxe "B" and "C" models.
Send your old Allwins along to us, and let us quote for rebuilding them like new
allwinDeluxe.gif

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:55 am

Just been researching something else related to these machines and came across this Allwin De-Luxe that was auctioned in 2006 from the Nic Costa collection. I can't read the award card fine print but the auction states "An Allwin de Luxe with electric shock by Max Jentsch & Meerz, Leipzig, Germany; Copyright, Brit. Patent No. 22213/13, with seven ball release and 'Reserve' and 'Check' targets alternately on green velvet backboard in oak case with two conductor knobs, circa 1920"
The Patent number shown is really an Application number I believe, not the approved Patent, as I can't find anything about it. But the /13 should be for 1913. I wonder if all the information stated here was actually stamped onto that award card? Does anybody here know what happened to that machine or have better photos possibly?

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/lot/ ... 52656&sid=
allwin deluxe costa.jpg

john t peterson

Postby john t peterson » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:18 pm

Gameswat,

The picture you linked from the auction is better than the two pictures of the same machine published in separate catalogs: "The Costa-Haskell Collection of early and important Coin Machines" (the original offering of the collection from the owners) and "The Nic Costa collection of Amusement Machines" which was Christie's catalog. The Christie's catalog pictures is a miniature and the Costa-Haskell picture has too much reflection for any detail.

I think the information accompanying the auction was from Nic's research rather than anything specific on the machine itself. From my perspective, it looks to be a standard German allwin reserve with an added shocker.

Keep up the good work, lad! Your enthusiasm is infectious.

J Peterson
Infection control, USA

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:28 pm

According to the flyer just a few posts above the former Costa machine is a model "C". with added token entry below the Penny entry. And states it will accept the tokens won from the machine.