Mills screw/bolt sizes

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
marktol

Mills screw/bolt sizes

Post by marktol »

Hi,

I'm wondering if someone may be able to answer what I'm hoping is a simple question - famous last words!

I'm looking to buy a selection of common sized screws to use as replacement for missing or broken ones on Mills machines.

I'm no expert on screw sizes and threads but I know you either get ones in inches or millimetres. Any ideas what the Mills ones are? I've measured a few and all seem about 3mm which I think is what is called an M3? Does anyone have a list of the different common types so I can keep an eye out for some? Length is less critical as I can easily cut things down if they are too long.

I've seen advertised selection boxes of what's described as machine screws which look about right in appearance but have no idea if the threads match?

Thanks in advance.
jimmy55

Re: Mills screw/bolt sizes

Post by jimmy55 »

Hi,
I'm no expert but I imagine they won't be 'M' (metric) series on American machines which are on imperial sizes. I am sure someone will have the correct sizes.
Jim.
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Hi, all the threads in my Jennings machine are UNC. I think you will find most American bandits use this thread size.
Hope this helps :tarah:
silverbitz

Post by silverbitz »

There always seems to be the odd screw or nut/bolt missing from every machine you get. I’ve found eBay useful for that sort of thing as I hate replacing with modern incorrect bits even down to a screw!. Occasionally a chap from Vegas advertises a mixed batch which so far I have bought two bags. Usually only costs a few quid but the selection is great. All from Mills (unless other machines use similar).
marktol

Post by marktol »

Great, thanks,

I will keep my eye out for that - sounds exactly what I'm after. Agree, I would always rather replace with something original!
silverbitz

Post by silverbitz »

Just found his ebay user name. It's crown56travel
marktol

Post by marktol »

Great,

Thanks for this. I've saved him as a seller, so next time he has any come up I can stick a bid in!

Thanks again,
Mark.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Hey Mark,
Just a thought, but I have 14 No. of every single original nut, bolt, washer, spring - you name it, that are surplus to my needs. Granted they're holding wooden sides and metal castings containing spinning reels and jackpots together in various guises, but I'm sure there's a deal to be made....
!!YIPPEE!!
a.p
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

........... I hope you mean 13.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

No, he means 13, he's already broken the Coronet up for spares and scrap... didn't you know? :shock:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

marktol

Post by marktol »

Thanks Andy,

Is it a self dis-assembly kit...?!?
silverbitz

Post by silverbitz »

I thought the Coronet was coming over for the auction sale next month?. :D
slotfixer

Post by slotfixer »

Mills as well as Jennings used USS/SAE 5/40,6/32,8/32,10/24, 10/32 flat blade and carriage screws. Same for Pace screws. Pace carriage screws were 10/24. Same for Watling except Watling carriage bolts were either 10/24 or 12/24, depending on the year they were made.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

No, he means 13, he's already broken the Coronet up for spares and scrap... didn't you know?
Now, now, don't tease poor BP coppinpr, he'll get all maudlin again and we don't want that
(not after the last time anyway !OMFG!).
Sure silverbitz, if there was genuine buying interest I'd be more than happy to, but somwhow I think it would "somehow" find its way into "someone's" front room sporting a "Passed In" sticker on it. Ha.

Best of luck on 25th.
a.p
timosix

Post by timosix »

Hello,

Sorry to drag this thread up again, but I am trying to get some answers and can't really find them. I have just received a few springs for my Sega Bell and coach bolts for the oak side panels from Mr Slot over in the US of A and I asked for some common 'bolt' sizes for the rest of the mechanism. I should have asked for 'machine screws' as I have ended up with more coach bolts instead - my fault, not his.

I just need to find a UK supplier of 'assorted imperial/ UNC machine screws'. If you go on eBay there are loads of these little Metric kits but nowt for UNC/imperial. Being a young lad I can't get my head 'round imperial sizes. Any advice on where to buy in the UK? :!?!:

Thanks
timosix

Post by timosix »

Any chance of being able to buy a few short length machine screws from a forum member? I only need a few to hold
- jackpot chute on
- coin tube top plate to pillars
- few other areas

Any help would be much appreciated as I am going round in circles trying to find out what size these little tinkers are

Thanks
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Mills as well as Jennings used USS/SAE 5/40,6/32,8/32,10/24, 10/32 flat blade and carriage screws.
Unfortunately the above screw sizes appear not to have any Metric or Imperial thread equivalents.
The number sizes run down from 1/4”UNC or 1/4"UNF; #12 being just under 1/4" diameter down to #0 which is about 1/16” diameter. (1/4” is 6.4mm and 1/16” is 1.6mm approx) The #5 size is 1/8” (3.2mm) diameter and 5/40 is very close to 1/8" Whitworth; it might just go if the threads are a bit worn.

I did find a company in the US who supply boxed kits and also supply separate sizes but although they ship UPS Air Mail I don’t know if they will ship to the UK.

Link here http://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Detail ... oduct=7463

Hope this helps but not a lot I suspect. :#: John
timosix

Post by timosix »

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

I am amazed how difficult it seems to be to buy a few UNC machine screws?! From the coach bolts mr Slot sent it would seem most of the screws are either 8/32 or 6/32 but they can be quite short in length. I will just have to place an order with Mr Slot again unless someone offers some of the above sized machine screws for sale in the UK? (I only need a few of each).

Timo
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

In my Zeus engineers data book these number sizes are listed as ANC and ANF threads not UNC / UNF threads. In America they are still listed as USS and SAE.

It may be worth a new search using the other notations.

John