Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coppinpr

Re: Brenner "Ball Past The Arrow"

Postby coppinpr » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Lovely job! I was told some of these were illuminated from inside the case, the three lightly covered holes would seem to back this up otherwise why make them like that? What is your view?
I just checked the serial number on mine, in the same place...... 375.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:11 pm

coppinpr wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:29 pm
I was told some of these were illuminated from inside the case...
They were, but I don't know if it was factory fitted as standard. Mine had a bracket fixed inside the ply back to which I attached a bulb holder. It lights up nicely.

Fantastic job GW!
Love what you've done with the backflash. This 'starred' flash is less confusing than the numbered versions in my opinion.
gameswat wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:06 am
Now could someone please inform John that he needs to fly on over and pick this up in person quickly as the storage fees are really adding up!!
Watch John doesn't charge you for playing his game in the meantime. It's quite addictive.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:58 pm

Problem was these cases were never vented for a large incandescent bulb, and the thin plastic backflashes paid the price. I had an early model with the bulb intact and it had badly cracked and aged the plastic just where it lit up. I was able to flatten and reglue the damage but that was never going to light well again so socket came out. And didn't take much notice whether the later two had ever been lit or not as I wasn't going to light them. I've removed a lot of bulbs and sockets from allwin case marquees and every time the plastics in the machine were badly shrunken and or cracked, and none of those were vented either.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:31 pm

Now I know you're going to say it's not correct, but how about a a standard bulb with frosted globe shape but LED powered? No heat and at least looks like an original bulb. :!?!:

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:54 pm

It would look better than the ugly fluorescent bulb in mine.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:36 pm

PM I didn't think the light added to the playfield myself, such a small area that's lit. And after having wasted far too much time in my life moving power cords around on wall machines, unless the power is really needed I prefer to leave the mechanical games unwired. Invariably I move machines around a lot, either wall mounted or stand mounted. Some stay here a long time but many are sold fairly quickly. So where is the cord going to exit the case while I have the machine here, and then what will my customer want?! Plus the less high voltage in machines I sell the happier I am that no kid is going to get their sticky fingers where they shouldn't and be zapped! :zapa: As I said I've wasted a lot of time moving bloody cords to and fro. !!RANT!!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:25 pm

All good points GW, but I suspect the lit up allwins took a few more coins, all things being equal...
The cord on this one goes out through a hole in the back.
SkillFun2.jpg

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:04 pm

Well none of mine are ever going to be operated again. Kind of a moot point to me anyway, while the paper prints will light they certainly don't display like silk screened originals. Back in the old days I used to make my own pinball plastics with photocopies glued underneath lexan plastic. They did a great job when you had nothing or badly cracked, but never matched the intensity of colour. And occasionally we also used printouts to replace missing backglasses. Again better than nothing but I was never satisfied by the outcome. Actually there was an occasion we had two Gottlieb Rocky pinball machines in stock next to each other. We found the incomplete machine first and didn't have access to another at the time, but my father found a suitable movie poster for like $5 with a photo of Stallone as Rocky. Then a little later we picked up another complete example. A customer had his pick with an obvious price difference, but back then all machines were kind of cheap no matter what anyway, and he much preferred the poster version since the original back glass was kind of a naff painting of Rocky! Since that was a professionally printed poster it certainly lit better than any of the prints we had made of glasses, but still not great. I cut the Rocky letters out of the poster myself as it must've come with the name above him, and needed to be lower to be lit by flashing globes.
rocky-poster-001a.jpg
rocky.jpg
rocky.jpg (11.51 KiB) Viewed 1349 times

john t peterson

Postby john t peterson » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:54 pm

Now could someone please inform John that he needs to fly on over and pick this up in person quickly as the storage fees are really adding up!!
Sorry, Gameswat. I was out of town for several days and just read that my "Ball Past The Arrow" is finally ready for retrieval. It certainly took you long enough. Please post the address; I'm currently fueling the jet.

J Peterson
Past the prime in the USofA

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Awww damn JP, you were just a tad too slow, sold that one to pay shipping and resto costs two months ago. But I have another to keep myself so you can't have that one either.... :cry: Of course thinking about it after the fact I would've much preferred to keep your machine JP, rather than the anonymous Chicagoland example. I was working on both at once, but the way things transpired yours got completed and the other is still in pieces. Someone wanted it and I had bills so it went quickly.