Payramid - Original or Later Version? Your View Please!

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
markymark

Payramid - Original or Later Version? Your View Please!

Post by markymark »

Hi Guys,

As some of you may have noticed in the Market Section on this site, I'm hoping to purchase a Bryans Payramid sometime this year, it'll be my big purchase for 2013. However, just need your advise or opinion on which model?

I've read that there is a 30s/40s version that has the plain front (no corner metal plaque decoration!) and a complex mechanism, where as the 60s version has the decorative front and a simplified and updated mechanism.

I'm edging towards the earlier version simply because I love complex mechanisms, but kinda worried that it didn't work properly, otherwise Bryans would not have changed how it works? If you guys own one of these or know more about them than me, any chance you could give me your opinion of the 2 different versions. Really appreciated.

Mark
speedwell

Re: Payramid - Original or Later Version? Your View Please!

Post by speedwell »

Although there are many here who know a lot and very helpful re Payramids worth a look at www.melright.com in the special section for Payramids. There is one for sale in the collectors section which is worth a look. There is nothing simple about the 60's version over the 30's and some would say an improvement. I think it is the emperor under either guise.
markymark

Post by markymark »

Thanks Speedwell, it was reading the Melright site that got me confused as to which model I should go for, so I'm now hoping some nice people from this site will give me their experience and opinion. The older version looks "more cluttered" inside, which I love, but if it doesn't work too well, then it'll have to be the later version.
Thanks
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Hi Mark, as speedwell has said the 1960s mech is not simple, W Bryan made a number of improvements over the 1934 version but essentially it is still a complex mech. Knowing how you love to dabble in complex mechs then go for either, they are both great machines.

I will pm you
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Mark , I've owned and restored the early version and also restored the later model for a customer. And both machines work beautifully when tuned up right! So you really can't go wrong wwith either. Though I was fairly partial to the older model as there was a lot of age there.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I vote for the older version as well, but only because I'm old too (and I own three of the earlier model.)

J Peterson
Senior American
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Simply because a product is altered over the years doesn't mean it's been improved.

Designs are changed for corner cutting reasons and reducing costs as well as to improve.

Caddy 1950s
Caddy 1950s

Caddy 2012
Caddy 2012

British Tory PM 1945
British Tory PM 1945

British Tory PM 1980s
British Tory PM 1980s

Jeremy
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I thought you would have chosen Cameron

Based on the vote here, this explains the higher price for the earlier machines. .....Quite like the later one with the lower cash box......
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'd like any Payramid myself as I've never had one.
I've already told the story on here of me being offered by old man Bryan to make me one for £250, so I shan't tell it again, or have I just?

Cameron? no not really, those of us who survived the Thatcher years still bear the scars. All you youngsters will be left with as a lasting memory of Cameron is confusion as to which one he was and what did he do?
Those of us over the age of fifty are not likely to ever forget what Thatcher got up to. They'll have to choose a burial plot large enough to support a decent sized dance floor.
A joke I remember at the time was most people dreaded being involved in a national catastrophe for the fear of coming to in a hospital bed and finding her sitting there being filmed bestowing sympathies upon them in that bloody awful false patronising voice she cultivated.
raj

Post by raj »

A joke I remember at the time was most people dreaded being involved in a national catastrophe for the fear of coming to in a hospital bed and finding her sitting there being filmed bestowing sympathies upon them in that bloody awful false patronising voice she cultivated.
Wasn't that Jimmy Saville..... !!YABBADABBA!!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

And so back to the Payramid......................

I have a copy of the original 1930s patent for the Payramid, (great reading for insomnia) but here is a question, does one exist for the 1960s version? I suspect not as this was an improvement upon an existing piece of intelectual copyright. I have searched the Patent Archives without success, I found the original but no subsequent patent for the 1960s version.

Anyone out there have any knowledge of one existing?
markymark

Post by markymark »

Hooray!!!!

Finally got the Payramid. Its the 60s model, which is fine. It works great, and the mechanism is outstanding. Just love all the levers, springs and cogs that make it work. When researching this particular model, I was surprised by the lack of images and details about, what is considered by many Bryans collectors, one of his finest creations!
I can feel another video coming on, I've got a days holiday coming up soon, time to film the Payramid and its workings!!

Curious on how the jackpot re-fill slide should operate. For those who own this machine, will know there's a metal plate that sticks out to cause pennies to slide into the jackpot window on the front. Mine is missing a spring I think, should this be a loose or tight spring, and should the plate be loose on its pivot point as mine's stiff (no jokes!!!), should it flap up and down freely? Any pictures of your flapper much appreciated (that's flapper, and not slapper!!!!) :lol:

thanks
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Hi Mark, the jackpot chute should rotate easily, the spring is of average tension, enough to resist at least one coin tipping the chute and hence divert it into the jackpot window, but not so strong as it will not allow the tray to rotate when a few coins are on it, thus tipping the coins into the cash box below. It has always seemed a bit hit-and-miss to me and incongruous when compared to the rest of the innovative workings of the machine.

Look forward to the video

will pm you

Richard
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Congratulations markymark on acquiring one of the greatest mechanical slots. I'm sure it will bring you and your family years of pleasure. !!YIPPEE!!
Arrgee wrote:I have a copy of the original 1930s patent for the Payramid, (great reading for insomnia) but here is a question, does one exist for the 1960s version?
No, as you surmise, it was insufficiently novel or, more to the point, already covered by the original patent, so why waste time, money and effort? (I often ask myself that) !PUZZLED!

I think there were several reasons for the major redesign: to reduce manufacturing costs by replacing all the internal castings (that had to be bought in) with fabricated parts; to introduce a "new-improved" model of a successful game to stimulate sales; and as a response to operator feedback for a fully front opening game with lower locking cashbox (operators must have hated the awkward side opening system on the early Payramid).

As far as I'm aware, the mechanisms are equally efficient, but I recall John Carter saying the later version was much more successful in attracting play - presumably because of its greater height and prepossessing appearance.
Attachments
Later & Early Payramids with mechanisms
Later & Early Payramids with mechanisms