Somebody knows... Maybe you?
daveslot

Electra Amuser

Postby daveslot » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:41 am

I have had a couple of these and I always thought they were an English conversion on a French machine - the mech and front hardware are typically French. I have incidentally seen the ball gallery on another classic English machine which was converted to shock.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:10 pm

Monarch Automatic Co. (London) were in business from 1909 into the '30's and apparently were involved in "electrifying" Saxony allwins amongst other things. In which case, the basic machine may have been imported from Germany and rigged with the shock feature to make it "more legal" in Britain.

Nic Costa (in the Costa-Haskell Collection catalogue) attributes the game to the appropriately named Electra Manufacturing Company of London. He gives a date around 1910. Now it's possible that this company was part of Monarch Automatic Co. exploiting the Electra side of the business. Either way, I think the period of manufacture and the style favour the German import theory. Is the case fruitwood or oak? Fruitwood points to France, oak to Germany.

The 8433 patent refers to the electric shock feature filed by William Haydon & Albert E Catt in 1911, so although this doesn't help identify the origin of the allwin, it ties up with the Monarch Auto Co. (of which Albert Catt became proprietor).

Compare it to Giudo's wall machine which has the same central casting.
electra-2.jpg
electra-2.jpg (40.97 KiB) Viewed 6938 times
electra-3.jpg
electra-3.jpg (13.94 KiB) Viewed 6938 times

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:02 pm

Here's a pic of said machine.
img018.jpg

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:26 am

Here's the pic.
Pic084.JPG

silverbullet

Monarch Auto co.

Postby silverbullet » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:48 pm

Did these machines use a small 18MM token? I have a Brass token that has :
MONARCH-AUTO CO. the back has 2.

Any information will be appreciated.

THX-SB

JC

Postby JC » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:41 pm

Does your token look like this? These are standard allwin tokens, which typically were numbered '1', although higher numbers were used among the '1s', as can be seen in this picture.
tokens.jpg
tokens.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 4388 times

arrgee

Postby arrgee » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:00 pm

This reserve shocker appeared on ebay, similar style case although playfield different.

The sign in the centre reads 'Electricity Amusement Only' !!! :shock:

Looks as if the token slot has been covered up by metal plate.
Electric Shocker.jpg
Electric Shocker.jpg (118.74 KiB) Viewed 4372 times

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:14 pm

Did these machines use a small 18MM token? I have a Brass token that has :
MONARCH-AUTO CO. the back has 2.

Yes. The above allwin looks like a German (Saxony) Reserve Ball version.

treefrog

Re: Electra Amuser info

Postby treefrog » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:30 am

Another shocker up at auction at Bellmans on Friday, http://www.bellmans.co.uk/Bellmans_Cata ... ?SaleID=50
Looks pretty nice, except the cup looks incomplete. Very low estimate, .A Victorian fair-ground amusement game; 'Electricity and Amusement Only', patent applied for, housed in pine and mahogany case, 64.5 cm by 50.5 cm by 19 cm.
Also an unusual Automaton - An automatomaton clockwork advertising figure, early 20th Century, modelled as a sailor smoking a pipe. The head and hands papier mache, raised on a wooden plinth base (figure 82 cm).Illustrated

...apologies if this should be under auction, but following previous thread
Lot1498.jpg
Lot1430.jpg

john t peterson

Re: Electra Amuser info

Postby john t peterson » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:55 pm

The estimate of 130-150 certainly is low. It may reflect the auction house's state of knowledge concerning these type of machines or it could be their knowledge of what is missing inside the game. It appears to be a French reserve ball game to which an electric shocker has been added. And then maybe subtracted. The two holes in the front of the cabinet are where the "handles" should be if the shocker portion were functional. This is in addition to the missing pay-cup. If I were at the auction, I would certainly want to see the interior of this machine. It could be the steal of the show or a heartache for the unsuspecting. Either way, it's going to sell for more than 150 GBP.