Reels not spinning on Aristocrat Olympic 'Lucky Chance'

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
aristomatic

Re: Reels not spinning on Aristocrat Olympic 'Lucky Chance'

Post by aristomatic »

To offer some help, I have previously sent a pm to whizza.

As a new poster, they may or may not be aware of pm messaging, so will post below:

The pix I posted of a Take Ten award card machine is actually lifted from site's Arena November 2011 auction results page.

I have had three of these machines or mechanisms, one in an original Take Ten artwork branded cabinet, the other two in operator revised artwork to remove the Take Ten feature (maybe change in law/maybe improve % payout or maybe just because they didn't work very well............................).

Mechanisms I have had, seem to be all mechanical in operation.

Wiring is only there to switch on "10" symbol via a bulb behind it in the topbox when the Take Ten feature starts, and to then swith it off at the end of Ten game feature play. (NB: the normal tube to illuminate
the rest of the top artwork is also present on this model,it just has an additional simple bulb behind the ten symbol on the artwork).

From memory:
x3 ten symbols on centre lines pays a token.
As vertical the finger moves, the top of the finger flicks the switch to illuminate the "10" bulb.

At the same time, the finger lifts the gate on the Take Ten feature bonus mechanism to initiate the feature.

This rotates on each play for the next ten plays until a notched section causes the bonus mechanism to reset into normal play. As it does, it also trips the switch to switch off the bulb behind the "10" symbol in the topbox.

On these ten feature plays, the player still has to play a coin but, if any special feature symbol on the centre line of the first reel shows, then a token is dispensed by the usual finger and slide operation. (Most of the first reel symbols are feature symbols, so high payout).

I'm no expert, so please don't believe a word of the above as it's only input. Get advice from all quarters before making any changes or adjustments.

Only change one aspect of the mechanism at one time, where possible, and
take pix or video before making changes, but general advice would be.......

First, check for loose coins, nuts, bolts, washers that could foul the mechanism; loosen mech with paraffin or similar, but protect any vulnerable areas first, e.g. reelstrips/electrical wiring and contacts and the whole coin payout slide area.

GP
whizza

Post by whizza »

When the arm is pulled down almost to the point of activating the mechanism, the fingers are clear of the payout discs and all three reels can be turned manually.

What is the purpose of the V shaped bit of metal in this picture? (There is a spring attached to the left hand vertical of the V). This appears to be involved in the mechanism that pulls the fingers clear of the payout discs. Should the tension from this spring, as the arm is pulled, move the V to the right as the circular bit at the top of the V lifts up? It doesn't. The V will move by hand, but is very stiff.
V.jpg

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Yes, the button should reach the top giving extra time before the fingers fall back in place and setting the kicker. The main operating bar is not going the full cycle. Could be many reasons, you need to track it back. Could be simply a worn or bent bracket. One test is to place the blade of a screwdriver between the main operating bar and the plate that raises it, making the bar lift higher, cycle the mech and see if this makes the machine run.
whizza

Post by whizza »

What might this lever (circled) be for?
It can be pulled out about 1cm.
Could it be for releasing stuck coins?

L.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your advice thus far.
Last edited by whizza on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I think it's a fan stop. I dont do Arcadians much, so I can't check. Someone will. If it stops the fan and thus the clock from unwinding - very useful during testing, as it would leave the reels free to spin.
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Only guessing here, but on a few of my Mills machines this wire/rod lever retracts the little tooth (check LH side of mech) when a jam occurs.
On the Mills it's seated at the back of the mech and you pull it to operate it.
Opposite with this Aristo version, as the wire appears 'forward'.
Push and it might work similarly with a swivel the other end.
a.p
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

As Coppinpr says, it stops the fan on the clock to allow you to test payouts, for example, so you can align your win, release the fan while holding the reels in place. I am sure there were other maintenance benefits, but it is useful - saves taking out the mechanism. Not seen this on any other machine/manufacturer.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

whizza wrote:When the arm is pulled down almost to the point of activating the mechanism, the fingers are clear of the payout discs and all three reels can be turned manually.

What is the purpose of the V shaped bit of metal in this picture? (There is a spring attached to the left hand vertical of the V). This appears to be involved in the mechanism that pulls the fingers clear of the payout discs. Should the tension from this spring, as the arm is pulled, move the V to the right as the circular bit at the top of the V lifts up? It doesn't. The V will move by hand but is very stiff.
If that V shaped arm is too stiff to tip far enough over to the right in order for the button to stay sat on the top of it then ......
The vertical fingers will make contact with the payout disc of reel one, stopping it from spinning (sneaky feeling of Déjà Vu times 4 here).

Looking at the photo of the back of the mech, the right hand blade of the V shaped arm has a nasty score mark on it. Is it fouling on the spring, thus not travelling far enough to let the button get the top of vertical bot of the V?
Until it gets to sit up there, the vertical fingers won't stay in place allowing the reels to spin.

Also take that spit pin out and clean all the crud off that pivot, then use light oil.

BP

ps .............. vertical bot of the V a science fiction film from the 1970s starring Peter Cushing and Julie Andrews.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I had an Aristocrat Esprit where you could pull the handle and the reels would not spin. 1st reel never shifted and, due to gunk, fouled the second and so forth. The third was getting fouled on the payout feelers. The first reel had some teeth worn on its cog, so the kicker just slipped off. I removed the reel bundle, cleaned them all up and experimented with different size washers placed on the right hand side of the reel axle, before placing back in the A frame. Eventually, there was clearance from the feelers, about 1 to 1.5 mm and, because it shifted the first reel and others slightly over to the left, the kicker did not slip as the cog where the kicker made contact had been worn more to the right edge. After this, the reels (made of plastic, so light) whizzed and all was good. It's trial and error with this sort of problem but, when you get it spot on, very satisfying and makes that "oh my god what have I done" type purchase, more justified. Apart from the oil on the wife's table, clothes, carpets, ad infinitum.
whizza

Post by whizza »

After a drop of lubricant, the V now appears to be moving properly.

If I put coin in, pull the arm, stop the fan using the fan stop, spin all 3 reels by hand, restart the fan, the bandit appears to work OK.

Just need to locate the bit that is supposed to start the reels spinning automatically.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The kicker is located on the right, as you view the mech from the front. It's easy to spot, as it engages the teeth on all three payout discs. Cycle the mech and look from the front - you should see the kicker come towards you, lock into the payout disc slots and then move quickly away from you as the unwind phase cuts in.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

It's those teeth that you can inspect too. You might find that, when you have it all running smooth, you get an occassional slip or retarded spin when one or two teeth are worn.
whizza

Post by whizza »

coppinpr wrote:The kicker is located on right, as you view the mech from the front. It's easy to spot, as it engages the teeth on all three payout discs. Cycle the mech and look from the front - you should see the kicker come towards you, lock into the payout disc slots and then move quickly away from you as the unwind phase cuts in.
From the description above, it looks like the square section in the middle of this picture is the kicker. (The picture was taken with the arm pulled almost to the trigger point). The kicker doesn't appear to be connecting with the edge of the payout discs and just flies back underneath them when the arm pull is completed.
Attachments
kicker.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

From the photo, the kicker does not look worn, but the teeth do look worn. Check the moving parts of the kicker are free to move. I don't think the kicker is spring loaded so that it engages the discs at the point you show it, but better check (I don't do Aristos much). It could be the kicker is bent due to wear, or perhaps catching repeatedly on the discs, so slight bending might fix it, but with care. Bending parts on slot mechs is a natural part of maintenance, so do not think it a bad thing, just one to be used after trying all else.

If the kicker is simply not quite going far enough to engage, then I'm sure my first guess at the main bar not lifting enough is the cause. Did you try putting a screwdriver under the lift and seeing if that caused all the parts to move just a little more?
whizza

Post by whizza »

The kicker does appear to be spring loaded.

A drop of lubricant on the pivot and I have a working bandit. :D :D :D

Thanks once again to everyone for all your help with this.
horatio7

Post by horatio7 »

Hi and this is my first post. I built and maintained these Aristocrat machines in Australia and suggest the following to ascertain the problem, if it still exists. Place a screwdriver handle through the rear to stop the fan spinning on top of the clock and fire the machine - the reels should just continue to spin - if they don't then there are other questions to ask you. The plug on the mechanism is normally connected to the Jackpot pay arm (contacts or micro switch on the arm closest to the middle of the pay plate ) to light a "Jackpot Tower" when a Jackpot was won. The tower was not on all machines. This was to indicate to the Supervisor/Floor Manager to proceed to the machine to perform a manual Jackpot handpay which was a lot more than the machine of the day was capable of paying out.
Regards
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi horatio7 ... Welcome to the site, we've been waiting for you for years. Did you work for Ainsworth? What else can you tell us especially about behind the scenes ?

BP
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Indeed! Welcome horatio7. !!YIPPEE!!
As Badpenny said, we've been waiting for years for you to pop in and doubtless many will be fascinated by your insights..
Waiting,,,,waiting,,,,
andydotp
whizza

Post by whizza »

Bandit stopped working.

Glad to find this record still on-line.

Soon had bandit working after reading this discussion again.

!!CHEERS!!