Jubilee "Upstairs Downstairs" Questions

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
prawnhead

Re: Jubilee "Upstairs Downstairs" Questions

Post by prawnhead »

badpenny wrote:The oblong boxes that have wires attached are ballast chokes, they're a form of transformer.
These transformers - do they need replacing?
Does anyone know if there are any fuses in this machine and where?
Thanks in advance.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The ballasts MAY need to be replaced - they are not expensive. BP is right in saying they are transformers but that is a little misleading as they are a dedicated power source for strip lights rather than a straight transformer.
Is it just the lights that don't work, or are there any special features that don't work as well? If it's the lights (and in fact all of the lights) if it's a fuse problem it should be upstream of the ballasts. If there is a main fuse and nothing works, it must be upstream of the main transformer for the machine (not lights) if it's a mains fuse, or down from it if it's a reduced power fuse. They are often push-in fuses (like our 13amp fuses) and fixed to the case on the inside right. Early ones were buried in the back of the case on some machines and hard to see and a pain to change. Power off please when even looking there. :!:
prawnhead

Post by prawnhead »

Thanks for the added info. Yes it is just the lights that don't work. Mechanically it is great. I will check out the replacement of the transformer. I have tried to look for any fuses, and would have thought that there would be one somewhere but could not find any - hidden is very true - that's why I asked as I cannot see it.
prawnhead

Post by prawnhead »

Hi again,
Thanks to all who have helped with valuable info.
We have it working.
I am wondering if the box on the bottom that says "upstairs/downstairs" is supposed to be lit up? How do you get to the lights inside it if any?
I am very happy with the outcome of this. Thanks
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think you have to strip the door down from the inside for that one :-(