Oliver Whales Win A Gum

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
bryansshort

Oliver Whales Win A Gum

Post by bryansshort »

Hi, I've just joined up as I've bought the above machine from the States. Some of you will have seen it on ebay. It looks genuine. I hope I've done the right thing.

What I need to know is how to go about restoring it sympathetically. I don't want to ruin it by over restoring it, otherwise I might as well have bought a repro. Still I know it can be improved upon. The first obvious problem is the back flash/play area. It's in a real bad way, then the chrome is all but gone and I'll need to get that re done. I'll need two new locks as the keys are missing. I'm not sure how much or how little to do to the case. It is distressed but tells a story of its 55 year plus history, a bit like myself. I was born in 1958 and remember these machines as a child. I lived in Whitley Bay until I was four and a half years old, so was well acquainted with the Spanish City.

Any advice gratefully received,

Bryan

PS I have a pretty good workshop, so can manufacture any internal parts.
slotalot

Re: Oliver Whales Win A Gum

Post by slotalot »

Hi Bryan, welcome to the forum :D
I can't see your photo, but I know the machine you are talking about. Good choice of machine - I like the sweetie allwins !THUMBS!
The first thing I will say is don't look for new locks for your machine, it is better and cheaper to get some new keys made. They are simple locks and a good locksmith should have no problem with them.
The backflash can be redone on a computer, so not as big a problem as you might think. Can advise on that if you need it !!JUNK!!
Can I ask what part of the world you are in? Maybe someone local could come to your aid???
:byee:
bryansshort

Post by bryansshort »

Thanks for that, I'm in the Scottish Borders near to Berwick upon Tweed.
This is the machine: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190820678020s ... 1439.l2648

Bryan
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

Hi Bryan, I used to have one of these myself and wish I still had it now ....lovely machine! My backflash had a couple of very big splits in it too. As Slotalot says, let's see a pic and all things are possible. I did some computer work before on a 'Win a Mint', so I am sure we can help.
bryansshort

Post by bryansshort »

Hi, You should be able to see the picture now from the link in the previous post.

Pictures uploaded - Site Admin.
Attachments
win-a-gum2.JPG
win-a-gum1.JPG
raj

Post by raj »

Before you spend many hours fiddling in Paint to reproduce the backflash, there are scans in the Resources of various allwins. Here is an Ollie Whales Win a Polo which should fit straight onto your machine: Win a Polo Mint
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Bryan, I have just had a look at the backflash on the machine. I see what you mean about it being bad. I have re mastered quite a few backflashes in the past, but the one on your machine is well past any help. If you look in the Resources section, you can find a few Whales backflashes. The Polo or Spangles would be OK for your machine. You just need to take a copy of the file to your local Staples office supply shop and get one printed and laminated. Hope this helps. !!CHEERS!!
jimmy55

Post by jimmy55 »

I'd love to have a go at one of these if anyone has a half decent example to work from. If you're stuck on the printing, give me a shout, as I can print and heatseal one if needed.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Hi Bryan, welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your purchase.

The case has a lovely patina on it and, if it were my machine, I would not get the metalwork rechromed, as I think it would be out of place with the case, which you so rightly say tells a 55 year old story. I would clean up the metalwork, wire wool and buff it and just leave as is, which would then compliment the 'play-aged' case. Some collectors prefer to get machines back to as original visual condition and standard as possible, by either rechroming or replacing these items, so it's horses for courses, as they say.

Good luck with the restoration. !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I agree with you young Arrgee. The other thing is freshly chrome plated metalwork that was originally nickel or zinc plated.
Whatever though, so long as they are saved and played, it doesn't really matter I guess.