Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Smithy & Crackerjack - new additions

Postby pennymachines » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:35 pm

I think it was in the late '90s. They were advertised in the Antique Amusements Magazine which ceased in 2004. He also made some Quested Automatics Pool Tote copies. The only other wall machines I can think of which were reproduced are the Blowball, Conveyor and (more obviously) the Nostalgic allwins.

"In the old days" I would have reproduced this by hand tracing and cutting sticky plastic stencils and spray painting the colours on the back of the glass. A couple of computer aided techniques (applying a plastic film to the glass) are discussed here and here.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:13 pm

Am I right in remembering a Smithy was stolen from a Steam Fair at some point?
BP

polaris

Postby polaris » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:09 pm

Thanks for info so far. Although I said initially they worked fine, there does now seem to be some payout issues with Crackerjack. There are some numbers missing from the barrel but I have sort of deduced where the four and six are, even so, when it pays on these you only ever receive two pennies. The mech won't turn again, even though the "turn win knob" is still showing in the window. I would imagine an easy fix - just not for me.
005 (1).JPG
There also appears to be a lever doing nothing. Anybody know what's its purpose?
006.JPG

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:42 pm

If you mean the lever with the spring attached, that lever should be sat below the ratchet wheel and engaged into the wheel's teeth, so the ratchet wheel will only turn in one direction, :D
Hope this helps. :!?!:

classicgambler

Postby classicgambler » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:04 pm

Has anyone got a video of the smithy working please. I would love to see this in action ???

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:46 pm

Just a thought, prompted by Slotalot's remark about the ratchet wheel - are you turning the payout knob clockwise? Without that lever in place, you could crank it anticlockwise, but the payout mechanism won't work properly if you do.

polaris

Postby polaris » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:15 pm

I have now looked at this several times and tried placing the lever into the cog but to no avail. Part of the problem is I have no idea what I am looking for :!?!: :HaHa: It would appear that either the cog is the wrong way 'round or the lever upside down, as when in place it locks up when paying out. I did at one point PM turn anticlockwise until I spotted it clearly says turn knob to right on backflash :HaHa: Does anyone have pics of same machine they can post?

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:22 pm

classicgambler wrote:Has anyone got a video of the smithy working please. I would love to see this in action ???
Hi Leslie, no video :oops: but I have found you some photos of the inside that might help you. !THUMBS!
!B7B8Jb!B2k~$(KGrHqR,!igEyeGv3w+SBMzE1gv-sw~~_12.jpg
!B7B8IvgEGk~$(KGrHqEOKkMEzHmuY(1iBMzE1fR9Vg~~_12.jpg

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:34 pm

The ratchet gear should look something like this when set up correctly !PUZZLED!
ratchet.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:52 pm

You can see the ratchet gear in place on this Extrawin (sister machine to Crackerjack).