Rollite Products Ltd.

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Rollite Products Ltd.

Post by badpenny »

Does anybody know anything about the following company..........

Rollite Products Ltd
Clarence Drive
Filey
Yorks
Phone 2729

I imagine they were manufacturing Electro-Mech amusement machines as late as the seventies.
I've checked Google, Paul Braithwaite and my Argos catalogue but all to no avail. :!?!:

Looking at Clarence Drive on Gurgle Earth the first few hundred yard has commercial units and the rest of the road looks to comprise of houses and bungalows of the 60/70s.
So over to The Collective please. :cool:
slotalot

Re: Rollite ?

Post by slotalot »

Hi BP. :D
I have been doing a little digging Re "Rollite". !!DIG!!
The only reference I can find, and it may or may not the company you are after, is from the London Gazette July 4th 1958. It lists Rollite Ltd as being dissolved as from this date, no address or details given. :dammit:
Could your machine be that old?? :!?!:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I think that must be a coincidence S. I have discovered they went to The Moscow exhibition with Jamiesons ...........
The 1971 Moscow show was arranged jointly by the DTI and Alan Willis (BACTA) and involved companies from the UK including Streets, Cromptons, Mayfield Diamond, Rollites and Jamieson Automatics.
Here's the machine in question with its playfield removed. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what it is?

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MzQtMjAxMzA4MTgtMTcwMS5qcGc.jpg

Luckily it broke down into four different parts which enabled me to get it up my back entry .... oo'er Missus :woops:
Send your entries written on the back of a ten bob note to the usual address.

BP
JC

Post by JC »

So,.................that's two of you who don't read the magazine. I can't remember which issue it was (Stuart, you're in charge of the investigation), but Rolite Products manufactured Moonraker, a large pusher type thingy, at least one of which is known to survive (which can be found at Watermouth Castle).
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

Sounds familiar but earlier. We had one in the Rhyl fairground in '81.
Ours was splet differently though :lol:
:oops: .p
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

So is Rollite !!>*<!!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

JC wrote:So,.................that's two of you who don't read the magazine. I can't remember which issue it was (Stuart, you're in charge of the investigation),
Yep, I hang my head in shame. :oops:
It is indeed mentioned in issue No 33 from March 2009. !READ!

Here is a scan of the page from the M.M.Magazine :D and also a view of how the building looks today !!THUMBSX2!!
Attachments
rollite1.JPG
rollite1.JPG (21.09 KiB) Viewed 5582 times
rollite.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

slotalot wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:25 amIt is indeed mentioned in issue No 33 from March 2009.
Oh well that explains it. I was still in prison then. :cool:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

A search of this website finds "Rolite fibreglass horse from a kiddie ride" in the Arena
Attachments
72.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

We can't all be right ...... we can't all be wrong, it's Rollite not Rolite.
Perhaps this is why they went bust, no bugger could remember their name!

Image Good morning Rollite, how may I help?

Image Oops, I must have the wrong number I wanted Rolite, sorry to have bothered you CLICK
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

badpenny wrote:I think that must be a coincidence S. I have discovered they went to The Moscow exhibition with Jamiesons ...........

The 1971 Moscow show was arranged jointly by the DTI and Alan Willis (BACTA) and involved companies from the UK including Streets, Cromptons, Mayfield Diamond, Rollites and Jamieson Automatics.

Here's the machine in question with its playfield removed. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what it is?

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MzQtMjAxMzA4MTgtMTcwMS5qcGc.jpg

Luckily it broke down into four different parts which enabled me to get it up my back entry .... oo'er Missus :woops:
Send your entries written on the back of a ten bob note to the usual address.

BP
Ok so I didn't get any 10/- notes

Here's a video showing it. It was never intended to go in Sally's house, but my van which was carrying it got towed off the motorway on the way back from collecting it. Consequently it ended up at home instead of in storage.
It's two inches wider than a domestic doorway and even more so on its side .... happy days !PUZZLED!

However the case is on a plinth and the dome removes so it did go in sideways in three takes plus the motor !THUMBS!

It runs very smoothly and is quiet, it's good fun too. Ideal if you have children gullible enough to accept their pocket money in 1,5 & 20np coins.
The original intention was to put it in the November Coventry Auction, but now Sally's got the flavour for it and wants me to make a tabletop to put on it so it can also be used when not being played :dammit:
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

Anyone intersted in Rolite machines should get in contact with Simon Rollinson, Bridlington. His step brother who with his dad built all the machines now runs Springfield Motor Homes, Bessingby Industrial Estate, Bridlington. Also, Eric, his dad is still around!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Thanks Chris ........

Good lead, thanks for that.

BP
lizb

Post by lizb »

I used to work for Rollites in 1970. At that time I was painting horses for fairground rides and also creating clay statues based on The Jungle Book to put into fibre glass production for talking waste paper bins!! I had a studio above the factory floor. A good summer and happy memories.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Lizb, looks like your post was missed, rarely done. Welcome and good to again hear from someone who worked at an old slot firm. I know little about Rollites, it would be great if you can share more about the types of machines they made or other information !!THUMBSX2!!

I always think we miss a trick with people who post on here who worked for firms, as they are part of the history, there have been quite a few over the last few years, it would be good to try and gather info into a separate topic for people to post on their experiences at various manufacturers and build up a good history/knowledge base.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Just for a change I thought I would search about on the internet !!JUNK!!
I didn't find what I was after :smash:
But I did find this :cool:
so I copied the photos to post them on here ;-)
Attachments
Moonraker.
Moonraker.
rotolite1.jpg
rotolite.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well done S and thanks to lizb for his post.

I remember Moonraker it was most impressive to an eleven year old, taller than me!

You dropped coins onto a lunar landscape which was pockmarked with craters (like my face at the time) The floors of which were spring loaded so when they filled up they'd dump their contents into the payout trays.

I bet no one has one?
I know one of our members has a bit of video .... I think?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Our slotty friend's video of the Piccalilli Circus:

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Now this gets confuddling, so bare with me.
The Piccalilli Circus ... I mean Piccadilly ... you've got me at it now, was mine and was made by the same company as Moonraker.

The member who bought it from me who placed that video on also has footage of the Moonraker ... I think.

Which is what we were talking about.

BP !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

pennymachines wrote:Piccalilli Circus
Ha Ha! Good ol' spell checker.
Far as I can see there's no video of Moonraker on youtube, else I would have posted it.