Oliver Whales Interspace

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
boilerman

Oliver Whales Interspace

Post by boilerman »

I am new to the penny machines and picked up an allwin "Interspace".
The backflash has some issues. My question is, what is it made of and what is the thickness? I have seen a few of the plain ones for sale in the UK (I am in the US). I would like to reproduce the artwork and reprint it on the correct stock.
Any other hints for a beginner?

Thanks.
treefrog

Re: Oliver Whales Interspace

Post by treefrog »

Welcome to the forum and the Interspace is a very collectible Oliver Whales machine.

Common issue on all OW machines - the plastic backflash and some people have scanned, printed and covered in a plastic clear finish to protect... The other question is how bad the backflash is, as it is always preferable to retain the original if restorable... A few people have mentioned such by removing the backflash and putting between two glass sheets and carefully applying heat to make pliable and return the shape. See the latest success from our well known partner master restorer in Aus on his Double Six, where he explains how he has done this:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3843&start=10
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

boilerman wrote:what is it made of and what is the thickness?
The graphics are reverse screen-printed on, I think, cellulose acetate (the traditional base of movie safety film). If reproducing it, to avoid future problems with heat distortion, I'd use acrylic or the more scratch-resistant UV-stabilized polycarbonate. The thickness is 0.5mm.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Guessing this is the machine in question, was listed last week in the US on some sites. Looks pretty decent and I think I'd restore rather than replace to keep as much originality as possible. You'll want to flatten anyway if you plan to scan or photograph to copy. Worth taking photos before each process in case anything goes bad so you have a backup. Sometimes the paint can flake off the back when flattening. I find scanning doesn't work well due to the reflection from the glossy plastic, so you can try using a spray on matt finish to stop that and has worked for me. Though I prefer to photograph as I can angle the light sources to cut down reflections. Good luck.
Attachments
Inter_Space5_.jpg
Inter_Space3_.jpg
coppinpr

Oliver Whales machine Ive not seen before

Post by coppinpr »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Allwins not really my thing so perhaps this is commonplace but was wondering if this machine is rare. Rather nice in my view, also a photo of a six sided console that looks too good to be old.
Attachments
inter-spacea.jpg
inter-spacea.jpg (119.49 KiB) Viewed 115 times
six-sideda.jpg
six-sideda.jpg (65.26 KiB) Viewed 115 times
mr merrivale

Re: Oliver Whales machine Ive not seen before

Post by mr merrivale »

Hi
This giant Oliver Whales is quite rare, more so than the very popular Strike Em giant allwin.
I have put both of these fine examples in my Great Yarmouth arcade this season for all to come and play.