Somebody knows... Maybe you?
markymark

Electroplating (chrome, nickel etc.)

Postby markymark » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:12 am

Having bought my first all mechanical slot, a Sega Bonanza, the arm is very rusty. I was curious as to where you other collectors get re-chroming done, is it expensive? Or where can I get a spare arm in better condition?
As a last resort... Are these DIY spray cans from Homebase/B&Q that say they are chrome, any good?

Sorry for all questions. thx.

grabber

Postby grabber » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:50 pm

Hello, I live in Essex and use KK Chrome of Romford, Essex for all the jobs I need doing but he is very expensive and sometimes the price changes as he states it is a harder job than he thought, etc. His number is 0783008800.

If you need parts for this machine, look on eBay Coin Operated or Fruit Machines section and you could put a "Wanted" advert in Jerry's magazine.

If you are going to use spray paint, I find it always looks matt and not mirror finish like real chrome. Hope this helps...

markymark

thx

Postby markymark » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:45 pm

Hi, thanks for the advice. I had heard that chroming was expensive, but as other collectors seem to have no worries about re-chroming I was hoping there was a simple answer!!!
Thanks about spray paint; I guessed it wasn't as good as the cap they have on the cans!!!

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:50 pm

As I said in my original mail at the beginning of August, you'll benefit from Jerry's magazine and at the next auction (Coventry - Mid November) there are bound to be stalls selling some of the stuff you need.

Welcome to the world of slots, it's all down hill from here!
I agree with Dower the spray paint is carp!

markymark

thx again Badpenny

Postby markymark » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:29 pm

If it wasn't for you I'd be lost here!
As for the magazine, is it any good?.. I used to subscribe to Antique Amusements magazine years ago (AAM), is it similar to that!
The November auction seems like a trip worth taking.. Thanks.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:53 pm

The mag will help you establish your network, give you access to free adverts. And well worth the minimal outlay. Use the link I originally gave you to mail Jerry and ask hin for a free taster copy, here hang on a minute ......

Jerry! Any chance of letting Mark have a copy prior to his taking out a subscription with you when he attends our auction in Coventry November?......... Cheers!

That might do it Mark, depending on whether he has surplus to spare, but he'll still need you to contact him.

markymark

thx

Postby markymark » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:51 pm

Thx for that. I'll email him now..
and hopefully catch you at Coventry.

special when lit

Chroming

Postby special when lit » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:26 pm

Topic merged - Site Admin

Anybody know of any decent chrome platers in the Midlands?
I've just tried my local one in Derby and he wanted £180 for chroming the handle, badges and a couple of pieces of trim off my Aristocrat Clubman.
Is this an average price, or has he overpriced the job 'cause he doesn't want to do it?

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Chroming

Postby badpenny » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:07 pm

Is that the one on Abbey Street? When I lived in Derby I used them and I guess quality names its own price.
However it is expensive these days due to the anti-pollution laws having closed down all the little back street boys.
So I don't think they are short of work.
Do you know Mick Harris in Derby? He'd be worth asking.

I once used some outfit over in Nottingham they had a name something like East Midlands plating, but that was ten years or so ago.

special when lit

Re: Chroming

Postby special when lit » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Not tried the one on Abbey street yet, just thought if that was an average price, it maybe better looking out for some decent second hand parts rather that going the re-chrome route.
Can't imagine they'll be that plentiful though!