Somebody knows... Maybe you?
malcymal

Re: Chrome??? Sprays... Any Good?

Postby malcymal » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:22 am

The chrome aerosol spray I used rubbed and went a dark shade of grey. Run your finger over it after it's cured and it leaves a nasty dark dull mark. Very disappointing. I think it's best used on plastic parts, arts and crafts modeling stuff, lamp stems etc.

There's no getting over it, pucker electro chroming is the only way forward in my opinion. Damned expensive though. Here lies the problem with buying cheap bandits, Aristocrats, Sega Continentals, Jubilee Rivieras etc. They are so easy to get hold of, but to make them good costs an arm and a leg. They aren't worth rechroming. The price for chroming runs into hundreds of pounds, far more than the machine will ever be worth. Painting over existing chrome is very difficult; despite your efforts with acid etch primer, if the paint gets knocked, it often reveals the old chrome underneath. Pitting is a nightmare to deal with too, despite layers of primer and sanding. I guess this is why I'm seeing so many stove enameled bandits coming to light; e.g. Powell's Rivieras etc.

Does anybody know how much it costs to dechrome machine parts?!?
Chrome is a pain in the butt; the next restore project I will go for will be something that has little chrome, e.g. a Mills Hi Top. Highly polished alloy looks awesome, so chrome isn't the be all and end all for me.

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:27 am

It is a tough lesson to learn. Have bought so many rough machines. I do tend to target machines that are broken, but have good chrome now. I had a lovely Lord Sega, perfect inside, but the exterior had been exposed to the elements. The cheapest quote for re-chroming was £230... added onto the machine it is not worth it, unless you deside to keep, which I will on this one.

Polishing though, I have been told is the bulk of the cost for the preparation, mainly the polishing, not the actual chrome work. It is all labour based work and time intensive. I did buy one of those mop conversions for a bench grinder, but boy a lot of work and you can only run the motor for 10 mins before it overheats.

I do like the look of the above spray process and am intrigued what this actually is and whether it is available. Of course it still requires preparation...The other thing is to buy machines that are steel/iron based, not crap metal that was never designed for electro plating.

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:07 pm

Ah yes, the metal certainly on Sega Continentals, Windsors etc., is pure cruddy for chroming. I can't remember what my chromer said but as soon as he handled the metal he uttered the word 's h i t e' and told me what it was made of, something very cheap. You may notice on later Sega machines the amount of cracks and splits too that emerge near the edges of doors, coin heads etc. I've seen these splits on at least six Sega machines including one of my own. You talk about rough machines and hanging on to them, such as your Lord Sega. I've got a Windsor and it's actually one of my favourite most reliable bandits out of the five I own. It's pitted, needs handle chromed, cash tray chroming, the door has splits in it, the side protectors pitted... everything externally about it is rough, but I just like it. If I come into a wadge of cash one day I might have it all redone at great expense despite only paying a hundred quid for it.

coppinpr

Useful metallic spray paints

Postby coppinpr » Tue May 17, 2011 4:30 pm

I've just finished this Exacta and while working on it I tried a new spray paint that seems to work very well.
exacta1.jpg
exacta2.jpg
It seems to me that the gold edging on Wullf machines, once tarnished, is almost impossible to restore, so I tried a hi-res metallic spray paint I recently found in, of all places, Wilkinsons! Perhaps everyone is aware of them, but no one seems to have mentioned them. The first one I found was a chrome spray. I've never seen a chrome spray that was even passable till I tried this one. Not like re-chroming, but if you are doing something that doesn't warrant the expense of a re-chrome, then consider this spray. Here is the arm of a Sega I used it on.
chrome arm.jpg
The gold version is just perfect for the edging on the German machines and I tried it on the coin tray as well and it worked OK.
tray.jpg
tray.jpg (36.91 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
Like I said, not like the real thing, but pretty good and very good on parts like the edge that can't be restored.
paints.jpg

malcymal

Re: Useful metallic spray paints

Postby malcymal » Tue May 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Looks good, but have you tried rubbing a small section with your finger? With the chrome paint, I found it goes grey with any rub against it, but maybe it had reacted to the primer. It's okay on things like plastic and things that don't generally get human hands on them, clock surrounds, table plastic lamp stands etc.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Tue May 17, 2011 6:21 pm

Clearly it won't take a lot of wear, but rubbing it seems not to change it in my case. I did prime the arm with a spray primer but not the tray or edging.

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Tue May 17, 2011 6:54 pm

Well, in which case, it seems a fairly cost effective solution to tart things up. Might give it a go on a Sega Windsor handle. Cheap machine in value and hardly worth a lot of cash on chroming. Good work.

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Tue May 17, 2011 7:45 pm

I think Malc has hit the issue with this paint, it would not be suitable for high-wear use and am sure this is stated. Probably OK for home use though, but I suspect it will chip.

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Tue May 17, 2011 8:06 pm

I think with the handle it might be OK as you rarely pull the handle on the stem. If you note on the image of the tin they show a light fitting and I'm sure out of reach it would be perfect. I tried it on a Sega Continental coin tray (the inner bowl) which was painted silver as standard from factory and it did just scratch away. I then had more success with conventional Holts silver car paint doing the same job and it was as hard as nails. There is no substitute for actual chroming but this is often so expensive for a machine of little value you have to do something with a paint job. I note Henry Powell's must use stove enamelling on their Aussie machines, the Aristocrats and Jubilees or are they using some other method? ,Painting over chrome is really hard to do unless you are prepared to keep on using a touch up brush when the paint falls off with any knocks. Not knocking your efforts, but really didn't have much luck with the paint myself.

By the way, that is a really pretty Exacta!!! Love it, and every home should have at least one German slot.

malcymal

Chrome through the post?

Postby malcymal » Tue May 17, 2011 8:07 pm

Topic merged - Site Admin

Does anybody know of anybody who does chroming through receiving and sending via the postal service? I have an Aristocrat Arcadian Mk1 and need the centre face plate, handle boss and handle rechromed. Looking at the size of these parts i thought it would be feasible for sending via snail mail, they arent too heavey too. Chroming my way is becoming limited and due to monopoly the chappie is pushing his luck with his prices. Appreciate the labour involved to buff out the pitting first, so need somebody to do the whole process. Thanks Malc.