Somebody knows... Maybe you?
ballymad

Re: Re-Chrome

Postby ballymad » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:46 pm

OK, given up with rechrome due to cost and it's a shame to let a machine go because of badly pitted chrome.
So what you think, right or wrong? Answers appreciated.
20120723_204621[1].jpg

raj

Postby raj » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:13 am

Hi Ballymad, looks like a nice finish on the front. The hard part will be persuading the paint to stop on! :!:
Paint on chrome has poor adhesion and I've found the only way is to grind the plate back to a flat finish and use a wipe on primer, such as International Paints ( for tiles ) and then use a hammer finish. Ronseal hammer is best, (if you can find any) it gives a stove enamel effect and is very hard wearing. The new formula Hammerite is crap, :NBG: as are most 'Green' products, I've found. Flag paint is quite good ( from Tool Station), proper stuff, full of hydrocarbons and cancer forming products, sticks like s##t to a blanket. :burp:
Coins dropping onto a spray finish will chip and scratch in no time.
It might still polish up, you will have prepped the metal to take paint, so there is a good clean base to work on, and will be a lot cheaper than plating ( around £20 or so) :byee:

special when lit

Postby special when lit » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:46 pm

Found this on another forum I use.
Not used the guy, but maybe worth considering.
http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/chat/c ... mper-61844

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Ballymad I like the colour you sprayed it, very nice, what colour is that out of interest and who makes the paint? malc

ballymad

Postby ballymad » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:03 pm

I did actually sand it down to so the chrome was removed.
The paint is Halfords Peugeot Royal Blue with a coat of lacquer on top.
It does chip, so wondered if a stove enamel finish would be better. Just trying to gauge what people think of a non-chromed finish.
At least with paint you could choose a colour to match your decor (great selling point).
Sadly I no longer work in a large industrial plant/site, so will have to cost stove finishing, although powder coating would be better.
Will have to price that as well.

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:51 pm

It does chip like hell as I experienced on a Continental. Just a six pence falling on it can leave its mark. You have to keep touching up with spray in the lid and a small brush. I think stove enamel looks more representative of the age, but aren't you looking at quite a lot of wonga for either stoved or powder coat? How much would a re-chrome cost in comparison, that is, if they can polish out the pitting?

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:23 am

pennymachines wrote:Gateros Plating looks like a promising UK source for all sorts of home plating and metal finishing products. As well as brass, bronze, copper, nickel and zinc, they sell a "Replica Chrome" plating kit, which, judging by the pictures, looks pretty effective, and requires less hazardous substances:
Ideal for DIY enthusiast, car or motorcycle restorer.

With this kit you will find it easy to get a bright mirror like finish with a hint of daylight just like chrome but without the problems associated with chrome plating. Replica Chrome will also give outstanding protection against corrosion. It also eliminates the need for a two step program like chrome...

The kit is easy to use as it is based on a Nickel alloy the finish is bright like chrome, keeps its shine like chrome and is harder than nickel. You can easily get outstanding results on various metals including steel, iron, brass, copper and if used in conjunction with the correct metallic spray it can also plate non metalic items, you can even plate on aluminium if used in conjunction with zincate. Setting up and getting started is easy, the plating process is quite quick with a typical 10 micron coating taking about 25 minutes...

Price £87 for a 5 ltr kit and £135 for a 9 ltr kit.
[youtube]1-zidi0CVcU[/youtube]

[youtube]CNAlBEoMrfQ[/youtube]

[youtube]5tdEujCZE2E[/youtube]
I'm tempted to give this a go. Anyone tried it already?

http://www.gaterosplating.co.uk
http://www.frost.co.uk
http://www.metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk
Nearly a year ago I replied to Pennymachines' post above and asked if anyone and gone down the home plating route. There are plenty of kits available, and I imagine some of you have by now.
So who can share their experiences with us?

Badpenny

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:55 pm

I for one had planned to and as with all good intentions, never got around to it, but am still keen to try as could be a whole lot easier for small parts......too many things on at the moment, but it anyone else has tried it would be good to here results

raj

Postby raj » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:51 pm

The fact that no one has spent quite a lump to buy the kit suggests it may not be cost effective for what we do. Most small parts can be rechromed for a fairly small sum using a chrome shop, so the kit would take some use to recoup the outlay, plus the materials would need replacing regularly. A decent bench grinder with polishing mops would cost a lot less, and last forever ( car boot or auction for the grinder) and give a good finish more in keeping with old arcade machines than bright shiny chrome. The added bonus is the constant hum of the grinder !!SHIT!! will annoy the neighbours more than the smell of the nasty chemicals !NITENITE!

livinginthepast

Postby livinginthepast » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:10 am

I looked into the possibilities of chrome plating many years ago and at that time it was not a practical proposition as the chemicals used were very hazardous.
However i obtained the canning plating handbook and realised that nickel plating could be done at home quite easily.This gives a dull hard finish which when polished looks similar to stainless steel.I managed to obtain the nickel salts and degreaser from canning and a friend provided the nickel anode.I used a 12volt supply and bulbs to control the current which must be adjusted depending on the surface area to be plated.Results were good but considerable time was spent in preperation which is the key to the exercise.Many small parts i did twenty years ago for a motorcycle are still in good condition.