Somebody knows... Maybe you?
slotalot

Re: Re-Chrome

Postby slotalot » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:28 am

Hi :D , I have done my own nickel plating of small parts for some years now. It is quite easy to do as long as it is done correctly. I did an article on the subject for the Mechanical Memories Magazine back in November 2009. Maybe Jerry could reprint it if anyone is interested. :!?!:

marktol

Re: Re-Chrome

Postby marktol » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:56 am

Hi,

Wondering if anyone ever tried one of the chroming kits? Ive just emailed a place to enquire about getting the top part of the handle for my Mills Black Cherry done and for something 6 inch by 2 inch by 2 inch they want £65 + Vat, Shipping and insurance. That nearly buys the whole kit....!

Appreciate anyones thoughts or recommendations on the best kit to go for etc?

Mark

marktol

Chrome Spray paint

Postby marktol » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:44 pm

Topic merged - site admin.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with using Chrome Spray paint as an alternative to re-chroming metal work? Having done a little reasurch proper re-chroming is hideously expensive and for a fraction of the cost you can get Chrome effect spray paints. I also get the feeling the home DIY chrome kits are complicated and difficult to get a decent finish from. A quick google comes up with something like:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001W03PMC/r ... B001W03PMC

What prompted my initial investigation was a quote of £50 to re-chrome the top part of my dagger handle on a Mills machine. I've got my eye out for one of the Sega machines, a Mad Money, or something like that, which has a large amount of chrome work and from what I've seen of the ones that have sold recently most the chrome work is normally pitted or rusted so wonder if this would also be an option for the restoration of something like that.

I realise the finish may not be as durable but, for the occasional use in my spare room, wondering if it may be adequate?

Cheers,
Mark

treefrog

Re: Chrome Spray paint

Postby treefrog » Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:59 pm

I think answer was no, not shiny and not hard wearing, but you will probably be linked to a very long thread on chrome. Enjoy...

(Linked above - site admin.)

polaris

chrome plating

Postby polaris » Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:49 pm

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I got couple of Jennings machines and was looking to have the top castings and back hoods re-plated. Can anyone recommend any good companies? I have had this done in the past by a company in Yorkshire, but was not overly impressed with the job.

widget2k4

Re: chrome plating

Postby widget2k4 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:22 pm

Will watch this thread with interest as I am also thinking of getting my jennings chromed.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:46 pm

A very problematic machine to chrome.
There have been a few threads on here relating to sorry stories resulting from trying to.
I've done a brief search and come up with This lot

BP

martin

Postby martin » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:50 am

I bought a nickel plating kit off e-bay and did it myself. The result was good, not shiny, but more in keeping with the age of the machine. It's easy to do small pieces (and cheap).

aristomatic

Postby aristomatic » Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:13 am

Hello Martin.

It would be interesting to see your results.
If you could post a few pix, that would be great,

GP.

steinslots

Re: Electroplating (chrome, nickel etc.)

Postby steinslots » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:11 am

Talking of chrome plating....
There is a research group at the Uni where I work who have developed a plating material which cleans, polishes, etches and plates a near-chrome finish in one process! They are using a new chemical technology called "ionic liquid" which differ from conventional synthetic chemistry, and also doesn't cause much harm to people or the environment.

It's early stages at the moment and there are a few drawbacks: The finish is "near" chrome - probably close to 1000 micron finish. Certain materials plate better than others. Oh, and it smells of fish!
But they are constantly improving the technique. They reckon they can gold-plate one of my harmonicas so I'll keep you informed about this technology.

Here's their web page: http://www.scionix.co.uk/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=78