New member - Honest Joe

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
m_ick

New member - Honest Joe

Post by m_ick »

Hi this is my first post; My name is Mick and last week I finally got 'round to doing something I've intended to do for a long time - I bought an allwin!
I am now the proud owner of Wonders Honest Joe Nevanock with all the attendant joy and worry. I bought the machine in auction; it was rated in "Good Condition" by the auctioneer and so it is.
The machine is working pretty well, it occasionally fails to deliver a ball when the coin goes in but always delivers on the second coin. Should I consider any lubrication of the mechanics? If so where???
I would really appreciate any advice, guidance or encouragement… stressful times. But a real buzz.
I guess that's enough for now. Mick
Attachments
HJN-1a.jpg
treefrog

Re: New member - New machine

Post by treefrog »

Welcome Mick and what a nice machine to start with. I have one of these and recently obtained another Giant Wonders machine. Great machines if you have the space much more fun than the smaller allwins. Was this the one local to me on Norfolk?

Anyway, looks good. !!THUMBSX2!! !!THUMBSX2!!
m_ick

Post by m_ick »

Yes, You got it in one. The problem was getting it down here, I used Shiply the online pick up/delivery site.
The size was a bit of a surprise, it's difficult to visualise things accurately when there's no other reference in the image you're looking at.
Do you think I could safely mount the machine on a wall? It weighs a ton.
Mick
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well they were designed to go on the wall, so yes as long as the rear is in good condition. Having said that I also put a stained pine shelf under mine. Wicks do them for about £3 or £4...With that sort of investment no point taking chances
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Lovely allwin mate :)
I bought one of these a few weeks back as well and love it.
Like you, I was shocked when it got delivered by the size of it - they are huge compared to my Hawtins allwin.

Nice tip with the shelf treefrog. !THUMBS!
Mine's going on the wall this weekend. :)
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

It's always been my belief that these machines were intended to go on a shelf and be attached to the wall. I always think the bottom plinth on some machines looks a little odd if suspended in mid air.
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Hi Mick,
You do not need to lubricate any parts of your machine. With regard to the ball not releasing when a coin is inserted, check that the trip lever in the coin chute is moving up and down freely and to a good length of travel -it is held by a screw which should not be too tight. Follow the attached z shaped wire down to where the ball is captured - it may be that this is not lifting quite enough and, by bending the wire slightly, adjustment can be made. Hope this helps.
m_ick

Post by m_ick »

Thanks 13rebel, that was so helpful… problem solved.
arrgee

Re: New member - Honest Joe

Post by arrgee »

Welcome Mick to the world's most knowledgeable website on these things. The members here will certainly try to answer anything slot related.

With respect to wall fixing, certainly an angle bracket, shelf or batten to sit the machine on would be wise for such a heavy machine, however, I would always recommend that when fixing into a wall you use metal angle brackets in the internal corners against the rear board and side casings, so that you can also screw fix the brackets to the sides of the case as well as the wall, some of these backs on machines are not as securely fixed as might be imagined and often just fixed with small nails/pins! Last thing you want is the floor acting as a sledge hammer if Joe decides to go walkabout. :cry:
m_ick

getting behind the glass

Post by m_ick »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Here's my next question: I now need to raise the glass on my machine (Honest Joe Nevanock) to tidy up a small area of backing that's restricting the roll back of a returned ball. See attachment. Never having done it before, what's the easiest way to do it? There doesn't seem to be any movement in the glass at the moment. Any advice will be most welcome. Thank you, Mick
Attachments
ball.JPG
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: getting behind the glass

Post by pennymachines »

Open and remove the door - the hinges are designed to lift off. Place it glass side down on a carpet and slowly lift the bottom end towards the vertical. This way, gravity works for, rather than against you. If it doesn't start to slide under its own weight, you can ease it out by pushing against the glass and/or gently shaking or tapping the door. Once out, clean both the glass and the wooden grooves so it can be lifted out easily next time.

The torn plastic near the hammer box is a common problem and the best solution is to replace the whole plastic sheet, which will protect the underlying paper graphics. Needless to say, that involves removing many parts.
m_ick

Re: New member - Honest Joe

Post by m_ick »

Solid advice! Thank you.
Mick