Help with my latest project

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
marktol

Help with my latest project

Post by marktol »

Hi All,

I'm just waiting to collect my latest project machine. I'm hoping that the cabinet is not rotten as the auction house said they thought it may have worm. Anyway, it's a new challenge for me as it's missing (amongst other things) two of the three reel strips so I'm going to need to work out firstly what strips I need and secondly the positioning for each. Having one complete strip will be a big help for reference and lining everything up. I will work with the JP payouts first and then hopefully, if I've got the correct strips, it won't need much patching.
22ndFeb_004.jpg

Could someone refresh my memory as to which payout each finger relates to? I know the first one (closes to the back of the mech) is the first cherry payout, and the last one is the JP. Somewhere I've seen a list of each finger and what payouts it relates to if anyone has it?

Cheers,
Mark
silverbitz

Re: Help with my latest project

Post by silverbitz »

Hi, I'm sure the fingers would be something like,
1st. Single or double cherry
2nd. Cherries with the 3rd reel bar
3rd. Oranges and plums
4th. Bells and cumbers
5th. Bars / Jackpot payout

Sometimes you can get 4 reel strips, so easier for the 3rd strip to be correct dependant on the model.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

I didn't see this machine but received some pix this morning from someone who did see it. They are poor camera-phone pix so difficult to make out but I think it has a Fremont Hotel award card on the front and maybe the bars on the third reel strip may be Fremont Hotel too. The Mills badge I think is maybe replaced with one of those Las Vegas coin badges? It has an escalator and jackpot, hopefully both complete and working.

Those cabinet sides look like they may be ply? with Formica on the outside? Again, difficult to tell. Anyway, I am sure you could have that mechanism up and running in no time. Lots of help here - just take your time deciding what to do.

GP
marktol

Post by marktol »

Thanks,

I'm collecting Thursday, all being well, so will be able to get a better idea of what I've let myself in for..! Hopefully it's only new reel strips and the back door I need. The wooden divide is missing but I've got some suitable wood I can replace with.

I had another Hi Top a couple of years ago which was plywood with a laminate of some sort on the side. Unfortunately that one turned to dust pretty much when you touched it as the worm had made it their home! Fingers crossed this one is OK and just needs a bit of a clean and dusting off.

Will keep the thread updated with my progress.

Mark
marktol

Post by marktol »

Well,

I collected the machine today. As a plus the cabinet whilst is now in many parts on the bench going to be fine after a clean and some TLC. the casts however are all copied but will still spray up nice enough. Machine needs a huge amount of work but has the potential to be nice once complete. Just waiting for Mr Slot to get back to me on the reel strips I need.!

It is indeed from the Fermont Hotel but has Bell Fruit Gum on the reel strips.
IMG_2215.JPG

IMG_2219.JPG

glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

wow,that is a mess,good luck with it,i will be watching this one,i love to see sad unloved machines get the tlc they deserve !THUMBS!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Taken me a while to find, but I believe your machine is a revamp or made by the Las Vegas Coin Machine Company, as per the "World" badge on the front and the original decal on the side. As such the Fremont Hotel award maybe original to the machine.

See the below link on another similar sticker on the inside posted many years ago. What is interesting is that they were the 5th largest manufacturer in the states in the 60's. Check the mechanism to see if that matches....

Mills slot machine
Attachments
copy.jpg
marktol

Post by marktol »

Thanks,

It does have the sticker on the inside of the cabinet on the metal side plates that line it and I think I saw a sticker on the mech as well but I will double check and post some pictures tomorrow.

I had one once before with those stickers and the same cabinet with the Formica stuck over the wood but the cabinet was rotten out completely with worm. Interestingly though that one was original Mills stamped cast parts and I'm guessing this must all be alloy as it's really light. Not bad quality copies but you can feel the difference and I don't just mean because of the weight. What's also interesting as the front cast has what I'm assuming are anti drill plates fitted which I've not seen before either.
marktol

Post by marktol »

The picture has just loaded up on my phone now. Another of our forum members has one of these machines also with the globe on the front and his is identical to the one pictured with the different front trim at the bottom. I have to say I'm really not a fan of the trim like that it's not as nice as the standard in my opinion.
marktol

Post by marktol »

Well,

So far I've stripped the cabinet down, cleaned and re-glued it all and repainted the base and reassembled it all. I got as far as taking the reel bundle off the mech earlier and decided that its a job for when I've got a good couple of hours to do a full strip down and rebuild as its completely gunked up at the moment.

I've cleaned and polished all the trim I just now need to decide if I'm going to re-use the casts it came with or if I can get a set cheap enough at the Elephant House auction then I will use them!
Attachments
IMG_2230.JPG
marktol

Post by marktol »

And here is the finished article..!

On reflection I think I may have somehow managed to miss polishing the front plates looking at the picture and the bumper I obviously did polish!
Attachments
IMG_2318.JPG
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

nicely done **xXx**
marktol

Post by marktol »

Thanks Paul,

Not my best job to date but it was a real state to start with so I guess I shouldn't expect miracles!

I was pleasnantly suprised how easy it was to replace the missing reel strips - actually just needed to manually line up a couple of known combinations and then it was easy!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Nice, I'm feeling inspired to consider thinking about planning to decide to restore my Hi-Top BONUS :!?!:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Digging an old topic, but someone from Norway posted some pictures on a Facebook group of one of these Las Vegas Coin machines, but what is unusual is the arrangement as it is setup so much like a Jennings with escalator attached to the mechanism as well as the jackpot. Also the rear hood clips slide like a Jennings. Never seen another.
Attachments
178C91A4-851B-4F60-A48F-D02ABC1A987B.jpeg
EC9727C8-E9FB-4055-81D5-852414FB0632.jpeg
FCADEC95-F42B-40C3-A154-BF7F62351FBA.jpeg
3504B11D-B267-404E-BED1-294F58F55FDF.jpeg
1527F3F0-1E60-48C2-BD7C-BC353AFE2AF4.jpeg
B13FF8D4-5100-4732-BE74-C80E1774B78B.jpeg
brigham

Post by brigham »

'JOKER' instead of the Bar. Some Buckley machines had that.
The 'Guaranteed Jackpot' is a Buckley thing, too.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Funny I was wondering Buckley with all the cast coin chutes and also the case of the machine has no jackpot window. I have now seen they guy had two mechanisms below, which has 777, so more likely for this machine.

Never seen the first mechanism before with that jackpot. I wonder if off a later open front type machine like the Mills did where the escalator protrudes through the casting or maybe some kind of half top, weird all the same.

I have yet to own a Buckley and in fact a Watling machine, never ben driven towards them, but who knows
Attachments
6FA7F555-6D5E-4D98-A583-9A4072B69D01.jpeg