Coin Pushers.

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
Robin

Coin Pushers.

Post by Robin »

Can anybody please help. I am after information on 'Coin Pushers'
How they work, designs, and, if possible, where i can possibly purchase a second hand machine, or one requiring repair.
Is there anything special regarding the losing slots, or is it just the weight of the coins coupled with the build up of coins?
I am becoming fascinated with the machines, and any information will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Robin.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Robin,

I share your fascination. Sixties to seventies versions turn up from time to time in the auctions and can be very cheap (relative to other vintage slots) especially if they're on the large size.

Contrary to some players' theories, there are no hidden magnets etc. or other such magic employed to prevent the coins from falling. They're really remarkably straightforward in design, although modern versions often add some extra technical wizardry just to jazz up the game a bit.

Of course, the gaps where the coins fall irretrievably to the cash box tend to be hidden and the players are so intent upon the coins about to drop into the payout chute they don't notice how many are disappearing off the table in the meantime. Coin stacking is an important factor in building up the inertial mass of coins which causes subsequent coins to slide towards the areas of least resistance (the spaces) instead of where you want them to go.

This is achieved by making it difficult for players to control the placement of their coins on the playfield by interrupting the coin path with deflecting pins and/or continuously moving the playfield. A more sneaky trick is strategically located raised points on the playfield. Covered by coins, they're invisible, but they prevent the coins from pushing against each other, forcing them to stack up.

There are many pusher variants - such as those that separate the coins into long channels and the popular multi-tiered ones with tables at different levels that cascade down like waterfalls.

There would usually be some defence against the inevitable abuse these machines attract, such as an alarm or, on more advanced machines, payout deflectors.

Have you checked out Tim Hunkin's short video For Amusement Only?
(Right click on link bottom right of page to download). He takes a brief peek inside a modern pusher.

See also:

A Guide to Buying a Real Coin or Penny Pusher.

Anyone remember these large multi-players?

See Pushers in the Museum for some pictures. More to be added soon.

Jim Crompton describes the original penny pusher in Inventing the Coin Pusher in the Arena.

A long time ago I wrote a piece about the great variety of counter-top pushers that were in vogue just before decimalisation. When I've collected some pictures for it, I'll post it in the Arena.
bibi_lolo

Re: Coin Pushers.

Post by bibi_lolo »

Hi everyone ! I'm a fan of Coin-Pusher ! I've got 2 at home ! These machines are so fascinating ! I've found a website that I'll like to share with you. It's a game called Coin-Pusher ! Good graphics, good concept ! I'm sure you'll love it ! here is the link : http://www.coin-pusher.com
churchfayreuk

Re: Coin Pushers.

Post by churchfayreuk »

How old and how big ,? I have a Harry Levy ShowBoat Pusher. Complete , need slight work ( A few of the coin doors ( MDF, are swollen ) . Its for sale , too big for my place plus not my line >offers :!?!:

There was some Old very basic pushers isn the arcade on Clacton Pier, (Ted Harrison ) he has moved out and the new landlords have put them outside in the weather , ( prob going to be smashed up ,if not allready ) worth a call to the Pier to ask no loss!!