Somebody knows... Maybe you?
silverbitz

Re: Hoopers Automatics

Postby silverbitz » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:54 pm

No problem. Nice machine..

adskiad

Postby adskiad » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:04 pm

Help! (hopefully!) I have a Hoopers Discotelle just like the one featured in this thread but without the ornate wood moulding on top. It has lost all its coloured discs along the way & I'd really like to restore it. Can anyone help with this? I remember them as a kid being metal discs with enamel or painted centers. You can just about see them in the image of the one that featured on this thread (I've attached a copy).
Hoopfully yours, Adam!
hoopers discotelle.JPG

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:36 pm

I guess a good start is welcome to the site. I am probably the wrong person to assist here, but I am sure someone will advise more in the know...a good start would be some pictures of your machine to give people an idea of where you are starting at.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Like treefrog I'm no expert on this sort of machine, but like TF I wanted to welcome you to the site. !!THUMBSX2!!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Let me also welcome you to the Forum Adam (if you're still with us). Unfortunately, I doubt we can help much. These Hoopers bagatelles are actually very rare. I've not seen any other examples of the Discotelle. It does appear Hoopers used the same discs on several games, but even if somebody here has one, you'll still be faced with finding suitable substitutes.*

I wonder if the carved top on the above example has been added later to make it look older/more interesting. It just seems too elaborate and antique for Hoopers. It would be interesting to know if there are any marks on top of yours indicating the placement of a pediment.

*If you can work out the correct diameter and thickness (e.g. experimenting with different coins), maybe this company could help: Tagmakers.co.uk
TagMakers can produce full-colour bespoke and customised tags at a very low price, and with a minimum order quantity of just ten tags...

Currently, we offer steel or anodised aluminium tags for Thermal Transfer Processing...

Using 400-degree(f) thermal pressing, the images and text are sublimated into the tag, leaving a permanent and durable finish that will not wear, fade or tarnish.
Alternatively, they could be turned on a lathe out of some round metal stock and in-painted with Humbrol.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri May 04, 2018 7:48 pm

I don't often visit eBay these days but just stumbled across this front sold for £166 on Aug 2017: Vintage Allwin arcade machine coin spares or repair parts fair ground

Another typical Hoopers' Automatics product, conveniently identified by the little paper label, "Telephone: Bowes Park 6509".
Hooper1.jpg
Hooper2.jpg
Hooper3.jpg
Hooper4.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Fri May 04, 2018 8:14 pm

You're checking eBay for stuff that sold 9 months ago Mr. P ? !PUZZLED!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri May 04, 2018 8:42 pm

I save a lot of money that way...

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Fri May 04, 2018 9:40 pm

I can see that ...... Nursey! He's out of bed again!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:33 pm

There were two Hoopers machines in November's EH sale.
158.jpg
263.jpg