Oliver Whales Variable Pressure Unit identified

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
polaris

Oliver Whales Variable Pressure Unit identified

Post by polaris »

What is the purpose of the bar and ratchet set up on this machine, unlike any others I have? !PUZZLED!
Attachments
003.JPG
slotalot

Re: OW question

Post by slotalot »

Hi polaris :D
Not seen an OW allwin like that before !PUZZLED! but it looks like it could be to change the tension on the ball hammer spring after each go??? I know that some Bryans allwins have a device like that. :!?!:

ANYBODY??
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Looks like a copy of the Ruffler and Walker anti cycling mechanism. In this case though every time you pull the trigger it changes the tension on the trigger spring so players can't find the sweet spot. With R&W it only changes after a win.

I was writing this when Slot already answered. :#:
polaris

Post by polaris »

Thanks for that. I was looking at the Bryans site - I think you're on the right track with the variable pressure idea. Now it's all stripped and cleaned and I'm putting it back together. It appears there must be a certain way to set it. !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Without seeing the other side, I'd guess that there isn't a payout knob and flicking the hammer activates it? :!?!:
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Gameswat wrote:I was writing this when Slot already answered. :#:
Yes but I am nearer than you!! !!HYSTERIA!!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

badpenny wrote:I'd guess that there isn't a payout knob and flicking the hammer activates it
I thought it might be that too when I first looked, but it seems to be the inner workings of a payout handle to me. The boss is there and I can see the end of a taper pin, and nothing connecting this to the ratcheting anti-cycle parts.
polaris

Post by polaris »

Here's other side and a few more pics. I'm hoping that when I get it completely assembled it will work a lot better but just now the metal band seems to stick in the high position and won't let the trigger back freely.
002.JPG

005.JPG

004.JPG

003a.JPG

006.JPG

slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Does it work OK with the playfield fixed back on the door? The hammer looks to be to be coming too far over without? That could be making it jam up. Also, try some grease on the brass eccentric. :!?!:
Nice design, not seen one before... !THUMBS!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

badpenny wrote:Without seeing the other side, I'd guess that there isn't a payout knob and flicking the hammer activates it? :!?!:

No, I didn't think it was for paying out either ... !UNSURE!

However what a complicated piece of engineering when you compare it to Jim Bryan's simple yet effective set up.

BP
bandito

Re: Oliver Whales question

Post by bandito »

The larger wheel with ratchets looks like it started out in life as an old bandit clock mechanism.
slotalot

Re: Oliver Whales question

Post by slotalot »

I was thinking along the same lines as you. It looks to me like an operator's add-on cobbled together from bits and bobs. That said, it is quite a clever idea and for me it adds more to the value and history of the machine than it takes away. A nice find. !!THUMBSX2!!
slotsoffun

Re: Oliver Whales Variable Pressure Unit identified

Post by slotsoffun »

As mentioned earlier, an over-engineered way of adjusting the spring tension for the hammer. Although many of Bryans mechanisms were over complicated and over engineered, he did keep it simple when devising the variable spring tensioner!!

The item you show is the variable spring tensioner, using the same gear and dogs from a bandit clock mech, so the wheel can only turn one direction. The off-centre hub behind does the job of shortening or lengthening the spring. If the small belt that's wrapped around this off-centre hub is catching, is it not possible to widen the gap by sliding the gears further along the shaft? (difficult to see from the pictures).

Lovely mech addition though!
polaris

Post by polaris »

tried to upload video of mech cant manage. looking at it really clever idea though .think why machine was abandoned, tried for hours to get this to work to no avail. would be a nice addition think will need to remove it
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

polaris wrote:tried to upload video of mech cant manage. looking at it really clever idea though .think why machine was abandoned, tried for hours to get this to work to no avail. would be a nice addition think will need to remove it
Try uploading your video to Youtube then post the link here.

BP