Geo Joyce & Sons Ltd. ABC Belfrute identified

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
Potless

Geo Joyce & Sons Ltd. ABC Belfrute identified

Post by Potless »

For many years I have been searching for information about the game featured in the attached picture - particularly the name of the unit and who made it.

This seemed pretty huge to me as a 9 year old - as you can see, it is a multiplayer betting game, with a large hexagonal light display, on which several large fruits are lit one after the other in rotation, eventually stopping on one particular fruit (cherry paying 2d, plum 2d, melon 4d, orange 6d, and bell 12p if I remember correctly). I assume they are fruits on this particular model, as the image is not very clear.

It reminds me of something Crompton's might have produced, but I have not seen it listed as one of their machines.

It would be great to see a clearer picture if anyone has one - so far this is the only one I have stumbled across on the 'net.
Attachments
arcade_machine.jpg
treefrog

Re: Another Electro-mechanical giant to identify!

Post by treefrog »

I have an original brochure for one of these and other machines in the range.....according to the paperwork, it was called an "ABC" or "ABC BELFRUTE" by a company called Millers Multi-slots Ltd... Will try and get a scan at some point... One of the tops of these sold twice at the Coventry auctions.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Potless wrote:It would be great to see a clearer picture if anyone has one - so far this is the only one I have stumbled across on the 'net.
Hi Potless, I see you have been looking at my website !!THUMBSX2!!
The machine was made by Geo Joyce & Sons Ltd, for Millers of Whitley Bay. Here is a better photo of the top box. This was for sale in one of the Coventry Auctions.
Attachments
P1040438a.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

See below: The one on Slotalots picture is the same as the flyer "ABC"....The Coventry topper seems to be a variant, obvious not called ABC.

Interesting, in the scan of the flyer, it looks like the picture maybe in a arcade and you can see a Hi Top on the left, but there is a row of bandits on the right I do not recognise, anyone seen these before? !PUZZLED!
Attachments
002a.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Nice one Tom! I think we are talking about the same "basic" machine. Sounds like they were both made by or for Millers. !!THUMBSX2!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I think you're right about Geo Joyce, as the front of the Miller's catalogue states "custom made" for Millers. They also did the Horse base Newmarket, Fixed Odds, Win or Place and Starlite. I have another flyer from Geo Joyce with the Newmarket in it. They were based on Back Stormont St. in North Shields...
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Henry Powell Snr. operated one for many years in the North East.
Potless

Post by Potless »

Thanks so much for all the information guys, that has certainly filled in the blanks for me!

Another one crossed off the list... wonder if I could make one from scratch (don't laugh, I have tried before and almost succeeded!).
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

The two I sold at Coventry both came out of Joyland, Bridlington.
Potless

Post by Potless »

Just wondering about the odds arrangements on these machines - are they "what you see is what you get", or are they weighted electrically, so that it is much harder to land on the single bell symbol than it would appear?