Remember this multiplayer game with unusual playfield?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
Potless

Remember this multiplayer game with unusual playfield?

Post by Potless »

As this forum's members are very resourceful, and have helped id some obscure machines for us recently, how about some memories and info on this one?

This was a large multiplayer from the coloured perspex era, which was quite an attraction at the time. The player would insert pennies at the front of the machine (I think), through one of several slots, and the object was to get your pennies to slide into penny-sized holes in the horizontal playfield, which had white(?) plastic hinged covers underneath. If successful, the penny would drop through, giving a payout equivalent to the amount shown on the cover.

The thing that stood out for me about this one was the way that the playfield would ocasionally tip up at about 45 degrees, to allow unsuccessful pennies to slide into the cash box. When it did so, you could see a large electric motor underneath, to the side of the playfield. The player could also tip the pennies off manually if required, by pressing a button.

I think I saw a brief video clip of this some years ago - I believe it was a Pathe film, but I have not seen it since.

So, anyone else remember it, what was its name, and who made it?
Potless

Re: Remember this multiplayer game with unusual playfield?

Post by Potless »

As nobody has yet been able to identify the machine from a description, maybe the attached rough drawing will help (extracted from the memory, so may not be totally accurate!).
Attachments
unknown_machine.gif
unknown_machine.gif (5.43 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
rippyspennyarcade

Post by rippyspennyarcade »

Hello again Potless. When you first posted about this machine, it sort of rung a bell in my head. I read your post about six times to try and bring something to mind, as I saw a hell of a lot of the larger floor standing machines back in the 1960s. Why I vaguely remember this machine is because I used to press the button on this machine when I saw losing coins on the deck. There was just something about tipping these no win coins in to the machine cash box. So your machine did exist, but... we only had one in town, and I don't remember seeing any more about in other places that I visited. So, I don't think you will get much joy on this one!

Here's one from me now - for years I've been after a picture of a large 10 player machine (5 Sections each side), called World Flight. We had one in town. These five destinations would flash and at the same time a large clock faced wheel at the top would spin around with payouts from 2d to 12d. There was only one 12d win and that was in the 12 o clock position. You could bet on DAKAR (white), BERMUDA (Blue), PARIS (Yellow), LISBON (Green), MIAMI (Red). One day the clock payout stuck on 12d and I simply bet all the sections until I emptied one side of the machine. I didn't do the other side as the attendants could clearly see the other side. I went out with a pocketful of pennies, came back about 30 minutes later and it had been sorted. That was another one to me! Happy days! I have about 10 seconds footage of this machine in action taken by a friend back in 1963. It was taken on cine film at night in the arcade and is not that clear, but this machine did exist like yours, and a picture of World Flight would be a real thrill for me.
Potless

Post by Potless »

I don't think we had a World Flight machine in any of the arcades on our coastal resorts (Yarmouth, Hemsby, Lowestoft, etc.), so I cannot tell you anything more about it, but will keep searching the Internet for clues.
Potless

Post by Potless »

There is a Whittaker's machine called "Monte Carlo Rally" on which you bet on European destinations which light up during play - could it be a variation of this?

http://slotmachines.bravehost.com/page12.html
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That's a damn fine website with gallons of information and a pallet load of great photos.
I wonder if Stuart's seen it?

BP :cool:
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I have made the odd contribution to its upkeep over the years. !SAINT!
chris roadhog

Post by chris roadhog »

Potless wrote:So, anyone else remember it, what was its name, and who made it?
The game was called "Ding o Bell" and I must learn how to post on this site as well as use a PC!
Potless

Post by Potless »

Aha so that's what it's called - presumably because a bell rang when you won!

Thanks for that, it is much appreciated.