Somebody knows... Maybe you?
widget2k4

Mills Extrabell identified

Postby widget2k4 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:25 pm

I got my hands on this Mills machine and can't find any info about it. I have not seen one like it and wondered if anyone knows any history of it?
2014-07-11 21.12.43.jpg

wembleylion

Re: any info on this mills machine ?

Postby wembleylion » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:32 pm

In Dieter Ladwig's book Slot Machines the machine is listed as a Mills Extrabell Aitkens Front and is dated 1946. It is a re-work of a pre-war machine due to war shortages and cost $77.50.

John

widget2k4

Postby widget2k4 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:36 pm

Thank you mate. :)
Wish it had cost me $77.50.

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Most of these are fakes - new castings and award bibs have been available in the States for at least 20 years.

widget2k4

Re: Any info on this Mills machine?

Postby widget2k4 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:22 am

I had my suspicions, similar to the fake Golden Nuggets I presume.
I know the mech and case is all genuine Mills, just been tarted up with a new casting, but did Mills actually make genuine castings of these or are they all just reproduction?
It does have "extra bell" raised in the castings on the inside.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:33 pm

I think Mills made the original castings but that they were not "extra bell" special castings. I think the whole reason behind this machine (and a few others of the time) was to produce a new looking machine using lots of stock part with a few, new, small parts to tart them up into a new machine. This was due a shortage of raw materials at the end of WW2.
Having "extra bell" as part of the casting points, I'm afraid, to a copy casting. What do others think? :!?!:

daveslot

Postby daveslot » Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:26 pm

The original castings were not made by Mills but by the Extrabelle company who made them to tart up pre-war Mills machines just after the 2nd WW. I seem to remember reading about them in one of Dick Bueschel's excellent books. But the castings have been heavily copied recently.

treefrog

Re: Mills Extrabell identified

Postby treefrog » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:38 am

I think the one on Ebay now is one of the fake one's. Brand new case, odd reel strips and escalator and lastly the handle is very long, often seen on the repro War Eagles etc.....

The description states bought from Powells, suspect Terrence Powell as they have them on the website http://www.tpg-uk.com/

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281608828179? ... EBIDX%3AIT
extrabell.JPG

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:18 am

On eBay now, almost identical Extra Bell to the one I posted above and suspect a later repro with the Shefras escalator and extra long handle and award strips, eg there are no Melons on machine these are Sega.....

Seller believes original although does not mention Aitkens. At the Derby sale there were loads of castings there for sale, lots had issues and I was trying to establish from those in the know, what are original Aitkens castings and their markings as walked away still unclear !PUZZLED!

For me unlike the seller and many others, they are one of the ugliest bandits ever, but all in the eye of the beholder I guess......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mills-Extra- ... SwfgRcCO5z
3B4BC269-488E-4021-B808-A1C1E59C2ABC.jpeg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:33 am

There's an informative 4 page thread about these at CoinOpCollectorForum.com including how to identify originals from later reproductions.
nvmos2 wrote:It is an Extrabell; a Mills revamp kit that was produced approx 1946 to 1951.
It was sold to operators of Mills machines to update their older Mills slots and the many revampers back in the day.
It was created by Everett Eckland, who previously worked for Mills and designed the War Eagle and Roman Head.

"Aitkens Front" is an incorrect name that has stuck to it.
"If you've ever read a printed description of this machine that states that it is the 'Aitkins Front' and suggests that only a hundred were made, you should know that this tale is a fabrication. The one possible element of truth here is that "Aitkins',
whoever that may be, might have been one of the kit buyers and revampers that didn't revamp as many of these machines as others did in the same period."
100 Collectible Slots, Vol 2, page 126
Seized-Machines-1950's.jpg
Machines being confiscated in 1951