Metal fronted mystery cigarette skill game

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gameswat

Re: Metal fronted mystery cigarette skill game

Post by gameswat »

Just noticed something I'd totally missed after looking closely at all these photos many times! There are two versions of these machines - either an open chute below the button for the cig and Penny to fall into, or a drawer below the button that you have to pull open after pushing the button. :burp: I have the drawer version. And the drawer machines have three rivets holding the coin entry casting together while the others don't.
Attachments
Chute
Chute
Chute
Chute
Chute
Chute
Drawer
Drawer
Drawer
Drawer
Drawer
Drawer
Last edited by gameswat on Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

These are very unusual machines as they have the most basic vending mechanism I've ever seen in person. The drawer version shown here has three moving parts - button, spring loaded flap and drawer. While the chute delivery version apparently only has two moving parts, button and flap!
Attachments
The drawer is removed to show the mechanism (or lack thereof!) before a coin has entered the winning playfield hole.
The drawer is removed to show the mechanism (or lack thereof!) before a coin has entered the winning playfield hole.
A winning coin into the clowns head comes to rest here and then you push the button which drops the lowest cig into the drawer along with your coin! There's a spring loaded flap that keeps the lowest cig from falling out if the machine is jostled.
A winning coin into the clowns head comes to rest here and then you push the button which drops the lowest cig into the drawer along with your coin! There's a spring loaded flap that keeps the lowest cig from falling out if the machine is jostled.
Winner
Winner
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Finally got around to finishing the machine. And I love everything about it! What a classic and such an unusual design. Really enjoyed bringing this back. It needed a new ply back panel, two oak side wings, two oak feet, alloy plunger lever, the lower internal wood bracket for keeping the case from moving when closed, re-keying the lock and both glasses. Oh, and new paint to the casting after scraping off overpaint to find the original colours. Using methylated spirits and rag I was able to carefully remove the layer of darkened shellac or lacquer to reveal the very nice original varnish underneath. I still need to make a cashbox if anybody has one to photograph for me please?
Attachments
clown a cig front.jpg
clown a cig playfield.jpg
clown a cig mech.jpg
clown a cig back.jpg
clown a cig open.jpg
clown a cig before mech.jpg
clown a cig rhd.jpg
clown a cig  before rhd.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

And another thing, does anybody have one of these machines with the Ha'penny reject flap spring still in place? There appears to only be one machine pictured (in fetching all over blue livery) that has it intact shown below. But for the life of me I couldn't find any holes to attach such a flap in my game? Possibly they used the two bolts that attach the coin entry casting? !PUZZLED! Ah, just dawned on me, maybe it was attached to the coin entry casting!?! Will take it off and look for some way of doing that.
Attachments
clown a cig reject flap.jpg
clown a cig coin slide.jpg
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Excellent job as usual mate, well done.

Very interesting post to follow as well. :)
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Cheers Widge. I'm now calling this machine the "Clown-A-Cig".
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

A lot of time went into making this stupid little thing. dirtdog But it really had to be there originally because otherwise a Ha'penny will enter the playfield and easily be shot into the winning hole, sometimes they auto reject into the payout drawer and other times jam up down there. Anyway a lot of prototyping to get it right. I used .26 mm tin which seemed to have the right amount of spring to allow the Pennies past but not the half pennies. I found it really helped to curl the end as this twists the smaller coins into falling out the back hole.
Attachments
clown a cig rejector.jpg
Fitted to cabinet without the coin chute bolted on.
Fitted to cabinet without the coin chute bolted on.
Completed machine.
Completed machine.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Brillant, Gameswat. The only problem? You'll have to sell it for $2,000 to get proper remuneration for the time spent restoring this machine. :lol:

J Peterson
American Appraiser
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

!THUMBS!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

very nice machine and work !!THUMBSX2!!
gameswat