Jubilee 3 reel bundle problem

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Jubilee 3 reel bundle problem

Post by badpenny »

Your second photo would have been useful if you'd not allowed the divider to obscure the interaction between the vertical and its horizontal counterpart.

However it seems to confirm what Raj first said to you on page 1 Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:40 pm.
I understand you ...don't want to cause more problems ... but I guess you've reached the stage where where it's time to start fiddling.
If it were mine, I'd see if the other end of the vertical finger has shortened thus allowing the probe part to enter further than it should.
Compare it to the others.

It's not a common fault, nor anything I've come across before, I'm just guessing at basic physics.
greg1

Post by greg1 »

I also seem to remember everyone saying it was the reel bundle being too far to the left which I spent a lot of time trying to correct, not knowing what else to look for until that was ruled out, then I went to the next suggestion and so on (I think this is called the process of elimination). Now I don't want to bend or straighten anything that may cause further problems until I'm sure it's the right thing to do.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I didn't know that the reel bundle being too far to the left had been ruled out, when did that happen?
It's more likely than my last suggestion about the finger being shortened, but would have the same affect.

As you say you don't have the experience to mend it, otherwise why would you be asking? ..... but why do you comment "until I'm sure it's the right thing to do" If you have to wait until you're sure why bother to take our advice?

As for straightening or bending anything, that's exactly how the factory "fine tuned" it before sending it out., these machines are hardly high precision, nor were they assembled by engineers.

I'm not sure why you mention you spent a lot of time trying to correct it, it's your machine, and most of us have projects running that are well into several years now. You've not given feedback on suggested solutions and have posted inadequate as well as out of focus photos.

Your problem is one of the simplest issues, it is either ......
The wrong vertical finger in that position.
It's bent and is catching the second horizontal finger above, so needs straightening.
The reel pack is too far over.
The probe end of the vertical finger has worn short.
The axle that screws through all of the vertical fingers has come loose.
The second horizontal finger is stiff due to either weak spring or dry grease, so is not fully returning to retain the slide.

Sometimes our advice to someone is to strip the whole thing down to the last screw, clean it, degrease it and reassemble it, checking each part as you go.
So check everything on the list above, and if that doesn't do the trick then strip it down and thoroughly clean it.
greg1

Post by greg1 »

Sorry about the photos - just trying my best I'm no David Bailey. Please try to be positive rather than negative. I'm only asking for help which I thought was the idea of the forum. Have you read all the posts or just the ones after yours?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

If you interpret my constructive comments for negativity you're unlikely to move forward.
I refer you to my last post where I have detailed a pretty comprehensive list of likely answers.

As a moderator it is my responsibility to read every post whether it interests me or not.

The purpose of the forum is clearly detailed for all to read, however if the problem is beyond you, then maybe it's time to fess up..... tell us where you live and see if a member near to you is prepared to pop round and do it for you or at least quote for doing so.

What is the point of not telling you your photos are pointless, it gives you the chance to help us to help you, failing to tell you would leave you wondering why nobody has commented.

I have now told you everything I can for you to check on your machine without having it in front of me.
I am losing motivation to work any harder on your problem as I feel I could spend hours talking you through something, only to not hear back if you even tried it. I think you summed it up when you said " I don't want to bend or straighten anything that may cause further problems until I'm sure it's the right thing to do." You invite suggestions and then get picky after somebody shares their expertise with you.

Good luck I hope you sort it. I'd be very happy for you if somebody else can guess at what's happening and that you feel you want to follow their advice.

Again I refer you back to the list I detailed in my previous post, as well as all the others members have offered, I'm sure the answer is there.

BP :cool:
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I am afraid I must admit to having little interest in bandits, and very little understanding of them. I have read the posts relating to this question as I read everything posted. I must say I have been absolutely amazed at the brilliant response you have had from our members. It is unprecedented in my opinion.
I think we are good at solving specific problems rather than such an open ended one. It is a bit like ringing your garage and saying "my car won`t start, what do you think it is?"
I think badpenny and all the others have given you excellent advice, and you should not be offended by their responses.
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

An accidental higher payout was something that I had on a Sega machine. When the old 5p/shilling coin went out of circulation, I made some minor modifications and used 20p coins. I decided to take the reels off and give the inside a good clean up. Prior to that, I took off the back bar that holds the wing nuts for the reel brake wires in order to make it easy to remove the reel bundle and give the inside a good clean. So far, so good. :D

When I put it all back together, not only did 1 cherry pay the same as 2 cherries, but also the other wins paid with only 2 symbols instead of 3. The reels were spinning nicely but they had too much float on the reel shaft. This caused them to move slightly further to the left and that was just enough to get a win with the 3rd reel showing any symbol. :-(

What had happened was as follows. The removal of the back bar that holds the wing nuts for the reel brake wires had caused the "A frame" casting to move slightly away from its position. It needed to be pushed in while the back bar screws were tightened. I also placed a washer on the reel shaft to the left of the 1st reel to take up what end float remained. Problem solved.
greg1

Post by greg1 »

not being ungrateful and many thanks to everybody who have helped me get so close to solving my problem, I know I am only a whisker away from solving it, but to other people (the experts) its so easy but to a novice its very hard to understand, and takes a lot of time for the penny to drop, I have learned so much since I first joined the forum, that's why I asked for a little patience, with work ect. its very hard to spend as much time as I would like trying out every ones solutions, and that's why it probably taken so long, but now I am confident that in the next few days I will have the machine working as it should, also I have spent a lot of time with the lights on the machine, which are working fine thanks to advice I received from this forum so once again many thanks to every one.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Been watching this thread and staggered by the determination of those who have contributed. I always remember getting calls from my old man when he was alive with issues with his computer, even though I am an IT guru, I struggled to explain how to fix things over the internet or telephone, it is a tough job as you are not there to see what they are trying to explain.

Most of us have through persistence worked out issues through trial and error, hopefully you get there, if not sell your machine and buy a working one at Coventry (kidding).....
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

greg1 wrote:not being ungrateful and many thanks to everybody who have helped me get so close to solving my problem, I know I am only a whisker away from solving it, but to other people (the experts) its so easy but to a novice its very hard to understand, and takes a lot of time for the penny to drop, I have learned so much since I first joined the forum, ...
You learn something every day! I have learned a lot by looking at photographs. Sometimes I would think: "Mine doesn't look like that". Then I could see what was wrong. I also downloaded a Mills Hi-Top user manual to assist in maintaining my Sega machine which is almost identical internally.
greg1 wrote:...so once again many thanks to every one.
If you are feeling brave enough, you could resort to removing the payout finger, heating it up, and bending it slightly. You could also file some of it away but you would then be resorting to creating "2 wrongs to make a right". I have seen it done but you might not feel too confident. I have been playing around (with machines I better add!) since the age of 22 and I have had plenty of practice. I had a breakdown on my own machine at the weekend. The reels spun, slowed down, and stopped in their own time. No clicks, nothing. The stepped link that connects the clock arm to the timing lever had broken. Metal fatigue? It will probably be welded up. Only a minor problem when I discovered what had happened but I had a nasty gut feeling when those reels didn't stop as they should have done.
greg1

Post by greg1 »

done it, fantastic, great , over the moon, but not to sure how, have just spent over 4 hours (very little to some) bending the vertical fingers and the horizontal pay out slide fingers ( hope that's right) at last pays out 2 coins, being a old mechanic working on the top of the range vehicles a hammer or bending things with any thing is out of the question, but you learn something every day, so grateful and less frustrated, thanks everyone, see photo of my smiley face only kidding, I keep it on the mantle piece to keep the grandkids away from the fire.