Hi! ...Vending machines?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
robwizard

Hi! ...Vending machines?

Post by robwizard »

Hi there! I don't know a great deal about slot machines other than occasionally playing on them in museums and such. I'm actually after some advice regarding old vending machines? Basically I'm looking for an old Cadbury vending machine of the type found in train stations, bus stations and presumably arcades? I was just wondering if anyone on this forum was also interested in the old vendors that could give me some advice? No worries if not, just though it might be a good place to ask :D

Cheers
arrgee

Re: Hi! ...Vending machines?

Post by arrgee »

Hi robwizard and welcome to the font of all slot machine knowledge, full of members who have extraordinary knowledge and information about almost any machine.
Unfortunately you have just missed the annual slot machine auction at Coventry on Sunday, and guess what, there was a Cadburys choc vender in the auction! can't remember how much it sold for - anyone recall the winning bid?
Is this the kind of vendor you were thinking of, or rather the older cast iron type?
Attachments
_DSC3377.JPG
robwizard

Post by robwizard »

Hi thanks for the quick reply! That is a real shame that I missed that auction :( Ideally for me the older the better but I am quite specifically looking for a Cadbury machine. Though if something else came up that was interesting I could go for it.. I suppose I'm really just looking for an old chocolate vending machine of some sort.. preferably pre decimal. Most of the ones I have found seem to be the sheet metal, rounded corner ones. They all seem more or less the same but with different decals, Dairy milk, Fruit and nut, Nut, Nestle ones look identical. I have only seen a couple of cast iron ones and they look absolutely amazing! But I imagine the price is equally mind blowing haha.

Cheers
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

You unfortunately just missed the Yesterdays World auction too, the day before, I think they had them as well.
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

Yes, but fortunately there's at least 7 in next Sunday's Elephant House auction.
robwizard

Post by robwizard »

Elephant house auction you say? I will google it now!

Thanks very much!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Think the one at Coventry sold for £95.....

There are two at Elephant, but both similar and in a less popular colour.

Never understood why these fetch such hi money as produced in their thousands and used till the 80's....
robwizard

Post by robwizard »

Yeah they are kind of bland, especially when you look at some of the other vending machines of a similar age! I went on a few of those sites where they show you how much previous ebay auctions have gone for and the prices varied between about fifty quid up to about two hundred! I just want a nice plain one.. (or two..?) and I guess around the hundred pound mark would be about right. I will see if I can do an online bid for one or both of the elephant ones as I very much doubt I will be able to make it down to the auction :(

Cheers
robwizard

Post by robwizard »

Been emailing loads of people and getting varied responses. Quite a few places have had them over the past week or two and just sold them! My timing is awful haha. I'm keeping my eye on the elephant house auction, but is there any dealers of this kind of stuff I could get in touch with that anyone knows about?

Cheers
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

There are a number of people I know that collect vending machines but not aware of anyone out there who sells them for a living. Like everything collectable it takes a time to build up sources etc and a lot of trading is done between individuals that know each other. These people are usually unwilling to supply their sources through fear of missing out on the next great find.
robwizard

Post by robwizard »

That's cool, I understand of course. I will keep on searching and maybe build up some contacts of my own haha :D

Cheers
robwizard

Post by robwizard »

Does anyone have a contact number for the Elephant house auctions? I emailed them and they have been on and off with replying and I don't want to miss the chance to leave an absentee bid on some items.

Cheers
robwizard

Post by robwizard »

So I bid on both of the Cadbury vending machines in the auction but I haven't heard anything from the Elephant house people? Is it usual for this sort of thing to take a while to come through..? Was anyone at the auction?

Cheers :D :D
robwizard

Post by robwizard »

I'm assuming everybody is bored of this topic but I got one! Got the slightly worse condition one in the Elephant house auction on Sunday. Just waiting for delivery now.. which hopefully won't be too long.

I have some questions now which I'm hoping you guys will know. So these machines, the wall mounted Cadbury venders, were mass produced probably in the hundreds of thousands. Half of the ones I have seen take a 6d coin and the other half take two ten pences? I imagine this must have been a pretty standard thing across the world of coin operated machinery once decimalization came in. So my question is this, if my machine is pre decimal can it be converted to decimal, and if it's decimal can it be converted to pre decimal? I would rather it took a sixpence than a couple of ten pence pieces :cool:

Cheers
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

ilovemyjukebox will know better and will probably chip in later but if your machine is rounded corner I doubt it would ever have seen a 6d or even a 1/-. I suspect it wouldn't be an easy or worthwhile conversion either and if the one you won was "Country Style". I'll bet my boots that that relatively short lived product was 1970s and post decimalization anyway.
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

The Cadbury machines were made pre-decimal, although not too sure about Country Crisp. I've got them on shilling and six pence. As the machines were generally run by Cadbury and not sold to independent operators they were mostly called in and converted over. You can see some machines that have the small coin plate and others that have the larger plate. Cadbury did their own conversion. If yours is a big plate if you remove it you'll see the original holes for the small plate. Small plate being pre-decimal.

Machines were made after decimalisation too, right into the early eighties. The reason why I could sell ten cadbury machines for one pre decimal machine. People remember them from their childhood and probably the reason why you were so attracted to them.

I'm assuming that your machine will have a national rejector in it. If so the first thing you need to do is alter that so it takes the six pence. Not easy if its a two bob cradle. if you are lucky enough to do that or buy a 6d rejector on eBay then, depending on what coin mech you have there are other obstacles to overcome, designed in to "out" the slug. weight and thickness etc.

Once the coin has managed to get through this it lands into the round cam at the bottom. A six pence is going to be lost in the hole for a 10p so you need to fill that space in. the reason being it needs to sit bold to lift the lever to allow the knob to turn.

Hope that makes sense. It would be easier to shoot me a few pictures of the insides. I can then have a look and see how difficult it is and whether I have any parts that could make the transition easier.

If you want to put it on free vend that's much easier...

Dave
robwizard

Post by robwizard »

Wow that's some serious knowledge man! I bought it blind from the Elephant House auction so I have no idea what the condition is like.. it could be an empty shell for all I know, though I hope not! :shock:

As soon as I get it I will have a look at its guts and try and understand what you mean then add some pictures so you can have a looksee. I have access to a full machine shop should I need to make any fiddly little metal bits!

Cheers :D
glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

I know vending machines look nice and many years ago I had a few. But what use are they, chocolate is too expensive to put in them and they are quite boring. A pinball or fruity you can play, but put 20p in, turn the handle and get some chocolate, then what.
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Hello Glittering Prize
I run a vending machine Company so I was disappointed at what you posted (offended is too strong a word in this case).
My 11 year old son is a whizz at computer games and he cannot get his head around the fact that people used to find pinballs and Fruitys entertaining to play in times long past!
I can see how in these times where graphics resolution look identical to what you see in the real world, he would come to that conclusion!
Each to their own, Glittering Prize!
P.S. are you a fan of the excellent '80s Scottish rock band who released the single "Glittering Prize"?
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I have fond memories of vending machines outside the local newsagent. Chewing gum machines that you waited till the knob was in the right position as every fourth go it gave out an extra packet. Plus the ciigy machines were my source of No.6 fags! You could buy them without going in the shop and your mother finding out! Then go and smoke them in the woods. Happy Days.