Charles Ahrens The FireFighters Working Model

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
hottoddy

Charles Ahrens The FireFighters Working Model

Post by hottoddy »

Hello Fellow Collectors,

I have been offered in trade a Firefighters working model made by Charles Ahrens. The machines seems to be in working order. Can anyone tell me what kind of value these have? I haven't seen a Firefighters sell on the open market and do not know the value. !PUZZLED! Thanks for your time. !!CHEERS!!
moonriver

Re: Charles Ahrens The FireFighters Working Model

Post by moonriver »

There are different variations of Firefighters cases, some more ornately carved and better than others. I know one that sold in the UK privately recently for £6,000, and a Bellringers in the US for slightly more, although I much prefer the Firefighters. It should have the original Bing fire engine and not a later replacement.
Look at it from the point of view that although it is still a depressed market for working models, at least in the UK at the moment, a recent UK auction has achieved £4,000 for a decent original Bollands Burglar, whereas one sold at the VCA auction in the US in September for 9,600 dollars with nice original model but the wrong mechanism and in an odd case.
Also achieved here, over £3000 for repro or very heavily restored Drunkards Dreams, and an Ahrens is another level above.
Of course trading machines of similar values is a wholly different matter from actually digging out £20 notes. Cash is always king!
hottoddy

Post by hottoddy »

Thank you Mr. Moonriver,

Your vast knowledge of Working Models is greatly appreciated !WORSHIPFULL! . I have seen a video of the Bellringers (I'm in love), but I haven't seen a Firefighers nor do I know what movements they have.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Hmmmm assuming that wasn't a tongue in cheek comment.....:woops: thanks but not a vast knowledge, just things I really like.
hottoddy

Post by hottoddy »

I was being sincere. I share the same passion for the Working Models. I was at the VCA Auction to witness the William Harrah collection and I was amazed to see the Burglar Model command such a high price. I prefer the Execution type models but all of them are appreciated.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I trust you all own a copy of Darren Hesketh`s brilliant book " Penny-in - the-slot Automata and the Working Model " ?

Available from this site, unless out of stock, or sometimes seen on ebay
https://pennymachines.co.uk/Library/UK_Books-1.shtml#WM