Isle of Wight - Where have all the vintage slots gone?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
cheeky

Isle of Wight - Where have all the vintage slots gone?

Post by cheeky »

Hi, I went to the Playbox arcade in Shanklin, Isle of Wight advertised on this site but they only had one Bally machine left. I guess all the other machines have now gone. Might be worth checking the advertisers to get it removed - very disappointing..... I have been told that there may be another IOW vintage collection open to the public. Any ideas?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That is disappointing. I thought they were making an effort to put together a good collection of retro stuff. Their website gives that impression.
I've updated the link to reflect your observations.
Still, the Isle of Wight is attractive even without vintage slot machines. I didn't even discover the Shanklin arcade when I was there. If someone knows of another old-time arcade on the island, please let us know.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Yup, the IOW is beautiful and as you say it is well worth a visit. The Playbox arcade doesn't exist anymore (say the locals) but another has taken its place.
steve9976

Post by steve9976 »

Hi, I think you went to the wrong arcade. The Playbox is closed during the winter and its position clearly marked on the web site map. All machines listed on the web site are available for play except the few listed as "Withdrawn". The tourist season is now in full swing, and we are busy everyday with people on holiday who enjoy playing the collection of old games. If any one wants to visit, Wightlink are doing a special offer till the 6th Sept.

With this new offer a car, driver and up to three additional passengers
can enjoy an afternoon on the Island for an amazing £20 return! Travel
out from Portsmouth after 1130 and return from Fishbourne after 1825,
this offer is valid on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. Valid to 6th
September 2007. For details and booking see http://www.wightlink.co.uk/specialoffers/PC4

Sorry for the plug, but we never went away. Steve.
bargemans

Post by bargemans »

There is another Old penny arcade at Arreton Barns Craft Village on the Isle of Wight. We have about 30 machines out at present with another dozen in the process of restoration. Jerry has asked me to supply some photos and info for the mag and this I will do as soon as time permits.
We also have a 10p arcade with some interesting machines though admittedly some are repros.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

steve9976 wrote:Hi, I think you went to the wrong arcade. The Playbox is closed during the winter and its position clearly marked on the web site map.

Sorry for the plug, but we never went away. Steve.
Really? How strange as we went there in the summer and bar one 1970s Bally machine and two 1970s Bell Fruit electromechanical machine, I didn't see anything else?

Where are all the other vintage slots or are they upstairs?