Peter Simper machines

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
hartjonnyace

Peter Simper

Post by hartjonnyace »

Hi Everyone,
I'm astounded just how many people have come to this site who had worked at Peter Simper at some time or another. I worked for the Company as a Service Engineer at their Romford Depot from 1984 through to 89 when Music Hire Group bought them out. By this time I was covering Warners Holiday Camps at Dovercourt and Coulton - this was at the height of the Hidi High TV series and a great time to be at Dovercourt where it was filmed. When the takeover happened I was running their Arcade in Tottenham so never went to MHG at Waltham Cross where all the other Staff went. I was moved to ADL Ltd. (Acoustic Development Ltd.) which was a subsidiary Company. At this time, some of the old PS machines were stored in a Barn at a Farm in Brentwood Essex where everything went out of the old Eastern Ave Depot when it shut. Adam and Dave Chapman were the workshop engineers who moved to MHG, as did John Edgeworth, the Company Secretary. The Arcade was Sold to Delcoin Leisure Ltd. in 1992 and I ran it till 1994 when Delcoin went under. I lost touch with all the Peter Simper Gang except John Edgeworth whom I joined at Capital Coin at Dagenham, which sadly also went to the wall a short while ago.
operator bell

Re: Peter Simper

Post by operator bell »

Hi hartjonnyace, perhaps you can answer a question that's eating me up. Did the Peter Simper EMs have reflexing on them, that was capable of catching a payout as well as skipping one? Or do you perhaps know of any PS EMs still in existence that might possibly be available for sale, so that I can find out for myself? I want one of the kind that had a "third reel wild" feature and a double or nothing panel in the back glass.

I originally posted about this question just for my own interest, but now it's relevant to a patent fight between people with deep pockets who, you never know, might be willing to pay a handsome fee to an expert witness.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi hartjonnyace, welcome to the Pennymachines site it's good to have you on board

Badpenny
robtroi

Post by robtroi »

Operator Bell wrote:as a person who collects technical info on old machines so that the history won't die, I'd really like to know how it worked. I don't suppose anyone has a wiring diagram?
The device that controlled the Peter Simper machine was called a "Stabiliser", an electro-mechanical device which reacted in unison with the cash in and cash out meters.

The device consisted of a central cam which was turned via toothed cogs clockwise by the cash solenoid and anti-clockwise by the cash out solenoid. The cash out cog had 100 teeth and the cash in cog had as many teeth depending on what percentage the machine was set to. 78% had 78 teeth, 84% would have 84, etc.

The central cam would then turn and switch certain elements in and out of the machine such as Holds, Nudges, Feature and Jackpots.

I have PDF's of the device. If you would like me to send you a copy, please email me: rtroi@astra-games.com
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

There is a Peter Simper machine for sale in Southsea. I've bought a couple of machines from there. When I first looked through the window of the shop it looked like a jukebox - you look down onto the reels, hold buttons etc, - attractive bright front glass on it with a scene. It was about £140 and looked to be in good order. The chap said it was in full working condition - no reason to disbelieve this as I've had two nice machines from them already. The payouts weren't that high on the machine - 15 pence top prize - must have been a café machine. It comes with a bundle of 5p tokens too. It has the PS symbols on the reels.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

There is a Peter Simper machine for sale in Southsea.
Bah, I lived in Southsea, but presently it's a bit of a trek to get there and I don't think they'd let me bring a machine back as hand luggage.

I knew there had to be a reflex unit - stabiliser - in there. Most EMs of the age had some sort of crude reflexing. But from my observations, the PS unit had to be a lot more sophisticated than usual. Other machines (ACE etc) would just skip a symbol, but the PS seemed aware of what was showing and could "catch" as well as skip. We had a PS machine in the Students' Union when I was in college, and as a maths geek I used to watch it whenever I was nearby and note down the outcomes for analysis. It absolutely was not random! It had distinct hot and cold periods, and during cold periods it would catch the same losing combinations over and over. A person familiar with its ways could step up with 50p in hand at the right moment and walk away with beer money for a week.

The Union Committee didn't think they were getting enough money out of the machine, so one day they gaffed it by putting a block on one of the cherry slots. I noticed the outcomes changed, but the percentage didn't!
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

The machine has been in the Southsea shop for over a year. I'm going down there in a few weeks time, so if it's still there I will ask Matt whether I can take a picture - perhaps he will open it up for me too, for some inner pics. It's not the sort of machine people buy due to size.
Will update in a few weeks.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi malcymal, :D you sometimes find a wiring diagram stuck to the inside of the back door on this type of machine... fingers crossed you find one, :tarah:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Ok, will look for the wiring diagram too. If anybody is interested in the machine, and it's still there. I shall see if Matt does a courier service. I know he has somebody to deliver his goods locally - how far afield they are prepared to go, I do not know. It did look very nice from what I can remember. Does anybody know whether the payouts can be adjusted, e.g. did they have anything that could be switched inside to adjust the payouts? If so. I think it could be quite an exciting machine to play. From what I remember, it had a top payout of 15p which is a bit dull. Malc
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

There used to be a PS supplier/manuacturer in Chelmsford or was it Brentwood? I can't remember. :-?
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

anybody know whether the payouts can be adjusted, e.g. did they have anything that could be switched inside to adjust the payouts?
Being an EM, the payouts will be hard wired, but that wouldn't stop someone with the knowledge getting in there with a soldering iron and modifying them. The important question would be whether the payout counter - an electromagnetic device - is capable of counting to higher numbers. It also depends if the machine has a hopper or a tube payout. PS club machines had a hopper, but I don't know about AWPs.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Anyone got any pictures of Peter Simper machines, as I am sure I have played them, but cannot place them....
jumbo

Peter Simper Jumbo machine

Post by jumbo »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hello, I'm a new member. I have a Peter Simper fruit machine called Jumbo. I have a problem - the hold just won't work. The buttons light as they should. I have cleaned the electro hold things to no joy. The machine takes old 10ps. I would just like to fix it. Also, I had to remove one hold thing as it was stopping one of reels turning. I have pressed all the relays at the back too. It is a sort of ongoing project. Also, if anyone can tell me more on the machine, I'd be interested.
Thank you,
Ross.
slotalot

Re: jumbo machine help

Post by slotalot »

Hi Ross, welcome to the pennymachines forum :cool:
There are a few of us on here that like to collect the old electro mechanical machines. Simper machines are considered a little modern for most of our members. That said, I am sure someone will be able to help you and they have been talked about on here in the past.

The first thing we need is some good quality photos of your machine so we know what we are dealing with.
Also. can I ask what part of the country you live in?? There could be someone near to you who is willing to take a look at your machine for you, me included if you are not too far away... :D
clubconsoles

Re: Peter Simper Jumbo machine

Post by clubconsoles »

Go To
http://www.fruitemu.co.uk/ib/index.php?/index

There are people probably more able to help there as they are more fans of the EM stuff !!THUMBSX2!!
Cheers
Nigel
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Nigel :cool: Thought I might have a look at that site myself, but I can't seem to get the registration page to work !!JUNK!!
Might give it a try again later :!?!:
jumbo

Post by jumbo »

Hello,
Thank you. I'm in Torquay, Devon. How do I go about putting pictures on please?
Thank you,
Ross.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Attachments
p-simper_original.jpg
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Wow, that one made it to the USA! The shipping alone probably cost the estimated $400-$600 sale price. Pity it's a crappy AWP version and not a jackpot game, or I might have bid on it.