OLD ALLWIN

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
arrgee

OLD ALLWIN

Post by arrgee »

I am new to the Forum and wondered whether anybody out there could advise me on a machine I have. I was told it was a Saxony Allwin but have no other information. Any idea of date, was Saxony a maker or a generic term for this type of slot. It has obviously been renovated in the past and the top pediment has been added. Should I consider getting the metal elements such as the lever and pay-out knob re-chromed or is this not looked upon as a thing to do?

Thanks for any comments or information you have.
Attachments
Allwin 3A.jpg
Allwin 2A.jpg
Allwin 1A.jpg
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Welcome to PennyMachines, Arrgee, the site for collectors great and small. Looking at your allwin, I would agree with your information, this is most likely a German made game. I base that mostly upon the handle attached to the inside top of your playfield. I have seen these on both French and German games but never a known British made game. Anyone out there who has seen one, please feel free to correct me. "Saxony" is code for "made in Germany." The current thinking is that, after WWI, the German manufacturers of games intended for Britian felt they would get a better reception if they (slightly) disguised the true origin of manufacture. Just like England, most of the German made games have no manufacturer's mark. For a much more in-depth discussion of these games, follow this CLOWN MACHINE thread. The site administrator addresses your specific type of game with an illuminating analysis. As for restoration, I would leave your game just as it is. Unless, of course, you think that a face lift of a 70 year old lady is a thing of beauty.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

John, many thanks for your illuminating information, as for face lift, I take your point, she will remain dignified in old age.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Just to back up John's points - your allwin would have been made between the wars (early 1930's) possibly by Jentzsch & Meerz of Leipzig (major German manufacturer of allwins and other slot machines). Sometimes you can find a J&M embossed behind the coin cup surround casting. It's certainly German.

The screw holes evident on the long vertical arm were where the reserve ball mechanism was originally attached.

A clean and gentle polish of metal and wood is all that's required to enhance its charm.
The pediment would have resembled the one below, but they're missing 9 times out of 10.
Attachments
pediment.jpg
pediment.jpg (17.18 KiB) Viewed 3194 times