Value of working models

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
stotman

Value of working models

Post by stotman »

Hi, I have recently become interested in working models and I was wondering what I can expect to pay for one. I am located in the USA. I found a Pharoah, but it needs a full restoration. Any thoughts on value?

Thanks,

Jeff
JC

Pharoah or pharos?

Post by JC »

Hello Jeff

A picture of your machine would be really helpful. Arthur Bolland produced Pharos working models (which were actually fortune tellers) as recently as the early 1970s. However, these machines were called PHAROS - note the spelling. I know of two in America, and if you've found a third, there could be almost as many over there as there are here in the UK (so far I've identified four over here).

We'll all look forward to the picture!

Jerry
stotman

Post by stotman »

I have not purchased the Pharoah, I have just found one for sale. I would like to purchase it though. Thoughts on value?
Attachments
MVC-015S.jpg
MVC-015S.jpg (36.53 KiB) Viewed 8719 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Jeff,

I wouldn't wish to queer the pitch for fellow collectors by bandying about values on this forum (if you'll excuse my idioms).
That's one reason I put auction results on the "members only" Arena pages. You might find these helpful.
Suffice it to say, all working models are much sought-after in the UK and I strongly suspect, because your find is on foreign turf and presumably not already in the hands of a slot fanatic, it's probably seriously undervalued. In which case it might be wise to snap it up before someone else does.

If you're really stuck - tell us what the vendor's asking for it and maybe we can give a thumbs up or down.
stotman

Post by stotman »

When this machine is activated, what does it do?

Jeff
JC

Post by JC »

The machine pictured is not a 'Pharos' as I first suspected. It is one of a series of models on the Egyptian theme by Bolland, you'll find another in the MUSEUM on this site. It's difficult to describe what the model does, as they were all different. It doesn't appear from the picture the same as the more common 'Egypt' machine.
I agree that this forum isn't the appropriate place to discuss prices, particularly as values in this country are not going to be the same as the U.S. However, you may have noticed that the model is built into an Exhibit Supply Co crane case. So consider what you would expect to pay for an Exhibit crane, and then bear in mind that over here we would pay considerably more for a Bolland's working model.

Jerry
Yorkshire Pudding

Post by Yorkshire Pudding »

stotman wrote:When this machine is activated, what does it do?
If it's anything like mine, it does this:
http://www.harrogateholidays.co.uk/imag ... haraoh.wmv
stotman

Post by stotman »

Thank you for the movie, that is very helpful. I wonder if they were all painted or if the case is supposed to be the natural wood? I did notice that this one is a little different from the one in the movie. I wonder why such small changes were made. These must have been hand made and not mass produced.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, they were very much hand made and almost invariably painted. Remember, many were housed in crane cases that had already seen a good few years hard use, so a lick of paint was the easiest way to make them look like new.

Nice movie Keith. I've put it up next to your Pharaoh in the Museum. Hope that's OK with you.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Hi, Looks like you might have found a corker. What price is the vendor asking?
stotman

Post by stotman »

Remember, it is not what he is asking, it is what will he take.
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Absolutely, but what is he asking?
hottoddy

Post by hottoddy »

$15,000 US
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

£10,000 English how much?!!?