Somebody knows... Maybe you?
barnzy11

Re: Bally gold award fruit machine help

Postby barnzy11 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:20 pm

Yes the handle engages regardless of power, and as for the coin acceptor I will remove that to have an in depth look with the manual that slotalot sent over (much appreciated.) at the weekend, I just text my dad last night to try some of his old pennies in it to see if the machine accepted.

!!THUMBSX2!! Can't wait to get this up and running thank you all so much!

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:10 pm

In that case trace the linkage across from the handle into the mechanism and somewhere you'll find a solenoid operated linkage that should be normally open and somebody will have tied it so it remains closed. They might have removed a wire to the solenoid and/or removed a spring.
I've not had one of these machines, I prefer purely mechanical machines, however the workings aren't very complicated.

Deal with that issue and you'll lose the free play element, having done that you only need to check it by flicking the wire on the micro switch beneath the coin mechanism to confirm it, then sort out the coin acceptor using slotalot's manual.

Be aware though that in the world of "Slots" it's often one step forward followed by two steps backwards until you get to the bottom of all the bodged jobs previous owners have attempted.

BP

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:19 am

This was certainly the case for a Sega Windsor I had: switch cleaner needed on a solenoid which was tucked away, also combined with a dry joint coming into the coin receiver mechanism at the rear. As said before, beware the Ballys earthing. We actually had a Bally Gold Award (Golden Girl belly glass) and got quite a sting from it just by touching its case. Difficulty in dealing with this issue is needing the power constantly on and off to see if you get it right or notice changes in what you do.

barnzy11

Postby barnzy11 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:19 pm

Hey guys, well I got a chance to pop round me dad's, we traced the linkage back and we found this loose spring that could be the problem? Any ideas where it goes? We tried to put it on the little tube directly above it but it is slightly too small and doesn't fit :(

barnzy11

Postby barnzy11 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:19 pm

Hey guys, well I got a chance to pop round me dad's, we traced the linkage back and we found this loose spring that could be the problem? Any ideas where it goes? We tried to put it on the little tube directly above it but it is slightly too small and doesn't fit :(
IMAG0219a.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:00 pm

That doesn't look right.
You're photo shows an electro magnetic switch with the movable part missing.
Above that you have a reed switch which seems to have nothing to activate it, so I guess you've got a non functioning relay which has bits missing.
You need somebody with a Bally bandit now to show you how that particular unit looks.

livinginthepast

Postby livinginthepast » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:03 pm

The coil armature is missing - it pivots in the slot below the spring and is pulled down by the coil, so releasing the handle mechanism.

barnzy11

Postby barnzy11 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:08 pm

Ahh so it's a case of missing parts? Prob will be a nightmare to try and source them I would thinks as well :(

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:11 pm

The solenoids are not hard to find, or expensive. You just need the right spec. It will have it written on it. All it does is when the power is on (thanks to the switch on the coin mech) the central bolt (now missing) that goes into the coil you still have pushes up and makes the switch which, I'm guessing, fires another solenoid that pulls the handle and mech into each other's reach. I say I'm guessing because this would seem a little like having two solenoids to do one job so I'm guessing this solenoid is part of a pair that do the job,. This one is activating the hold switch which keeps the handle and mech in touch until the machine runs a cycle during which another switch somewhere cuts the power to this solenoid and the bar drops releasing the switch and cutting the power to the other solenoid which retracts so the handle and mech are no longer in touch. And now you know why we prefer all mechanical machines. :NBG:

pipcaff

Postby pipcaff » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:39 am

D7B03B68-D6C6-4BAA-B599-B7EC700771C1a.jpg
Hi just noticed this thread today
I’ve had a Bally gold award for over 30 years. It was originally bought as a money bank.
The coin mech took a 6d coin prior to being changed to a penny. The new 5p is a similar size to the 6d. On the back of the mech is a slider you can adjust to try and deflect the coin away from the magnet and also a screw which lifts the magnet. This is delicate, so small adjustments should be done.

Mine has the option of one go per coin or two, and also the option of 'hold'. This can be changed on the left side of the reels near the lower back. There is a dial that turns to press down on the electrical contacts. That dial will have additional holes and you can unscrew the small bar and move it to change the plays per coin.

Play adjustment:
B028771F-1726-40DC-9CCD-2365BC3D8734a.jpg
Pics of small metal plate you're missing for drop lever:
3454045F-EC52-4066-B7E5-D55036432EE4a.jpg
0A849B15-5BD8-48B8-874D-D30A24B64E5Ca.jpg